Accessories / Features For Your Welding Table - Miller Welding Discussion Forums

Accessories / Features For Your Welding Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wacko Welder
    • Oct 2007

Accessories / Features For Your Welding Table

Any suggestion as to accessories/features to add to your welding table. Any suggestions to make it a more useful tool.

ie . . . mig gun holder, grinder bracket . . .etc . . .
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"
  • Lucky
    • Aug 2007

Working in a lot of chemical plants, I see almost every welding table with a 2x2x1/8" angle welded to one side. It is used to hold little piece like blots, nuts, etc.

I would like to see some others means of "leveling" a table.

Hope that helps.
    They don't call me Lucky for nothin'.

Comment

• bryce_burden
      • Nov 2007

I've got a small vise on one corner of my table and it is also wired with a 110 receptacle under one corner and a switch under another that controls a light above it. I've also welded a piece of pipe on one leg for a MIG Gun and a couple of hooks for my hood, stinger, whatever i happen to stick there. I also put a shelf under it for storing small things and tools.

As for how to level a table, the best way I know of is to weld a nut on the inside of each of the legs. Then just thread a bolt all the way into each one and back the ones out that you need to to make it sit level.
      At Home
      Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
      Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
      Craftsman Hand Tools
      Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
      1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
      1980 Ford F150 Custom
      1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
      Miller Bobcat 250
      2 Miller MM251s
      2 Miller MM252s
      Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
      Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
      Victor Torches

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Proud American Ham KE5TJA

Comment

• migman69
        • Oct 2007

my buddy welded just about a three inch piece of pipt at an angle on the side to hold the gun just an idea

Comment

• storts
          • Jun 2006

Mig

I think this could go on for months! Its what ever YOU need,,weather its a bar ti hang vice grips,,I have recievers in all my benches,and my heavy set up tables,,Abd to the lekding bech on my portable,,can take any thing fom any bench,,But as I said,,Its what YOU need!!!!!!!!!!!!Good Luck,Jack

Comment

• mikeswelding
            • Nov 2007

Table tips

My table is 4' X 6'. On one end I cut out an 18" X 30" opening that holds a piece of bar grate for cutting. There is a tray under that to catch slag, etc.

I built a 2' X 2' drawer about 4" deep to hold soapstone, small clamps, mig pliers, and small hand tools. One one end I welded a piece ot flat between 2 legs to hang larger c-clamps. Also welded lots of hooks to hang plasma cutter, mig gun, torch.

But most important, make sure you have room for a coffee pot, beer cooler, and first aid kit. (Just kidding, but barely.)

Comment

• EdZep
              • Nov 2007

table extensions...

I built the table for which Miller has provided full plans (but, no plasma chute until I have plasma, and 3 x 5 instead of 4 x 6 feet). The 2 x 2 x 1/8 square tubing is open on the ends. I think I will eventually add a table extender to at least one end. This could be as simple as rails that slide out of those tubing openings, with an attachable top, or a complete unit that could slide into the openings to attach.

One problem I've noted is that the inside tubing seams will interfere with sliding of an otherwise properly sized inner tube. How do people remove those seams? Or, maybe I'd have to use round tubing, as the seams are off near an edge.

Comment

• Fishy Jim
                • Oct 2006

You put shims inside the tube to offset the seam.

If they're short enough pieces, you can file or broach the seam out.
                Syncrowave 250DX
                Invison 354MP
                XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                Smith O/A rig
                And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

• welding101
                  • Dec 2007

show pictures

it sounds like a lot of good ideas. does anyone have some photo of some welding tables getting ready to build one .

Comment

• EdZep
                    • Nov 2007

lessons learned

>> does anyone have some photo of some welding tables getting ready to build one .

Brian, here's a pic of my nearly done table from the Miller plans. My first welding project, with a new MM180. I learned too late that the edges of the 3/8 plate could droop a little, with voltage high enough to get good penetration. Glad I used scrapyard plate. I think I should have welded the top on along the inside edge of the frame, rather than the more accessible outside edge. Or, maybe I should have turned the whole thing over, rather than sitting on my butt and doing overhead welds.

>> You put shims inside the tube to offset the seam.

Fishy Jim, thanks. Yeah, and I guess I should have made sure all the seams were turned the same way, so shims could be applied the same everywhere needed.
                    Last edited by EdZep; 12-28-2007, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Wacko Welder
                      • Oct 2007

Shims

I assume this is a soloution to being able to slide one size square tube inside another. If so where and what would the shims look like. ?

Confused
                      Wacko
                      Millermatic 251
                      Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Comment

• welding101
                        • Dec 2007

table

Originally posted by EdZep View Post
                        >> does anyone have some photo of some welding tables getting ready to build one .

Brian, here's a pic of my nearly done table from the Miller plans. My first welding project, with a new MM180. I learned too late that the edges of the 3/8 plate could droop a little, with voltage high enough to get good penetration. Glad I used scrapyard plate. I think I should have welded the top on along the inside edge of the frame, rather than the more accessible outside edge. Or, maybe I should have turned the whole thing over, rather than sitting on my butt and doing overhead welds.

>> You put shims inside the tube to offset the seam.

Fishy Jim, thanks. Yeah, and I guess I should have made sure all the seams were turned the same way, so shims could be applied the same everywhere needed.
                        thanks for the photo ed. inside or outside welds the table still looks great.

Comment

• Wacko Welder
                          • Oct 2007

Very Nice . . .

That table is very good looking . . . . I have a thread on several sites trying to gather accessory ideas for welding tables . . .
                          Millermatic 251
                          Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Comment

• tasslehawf
                            • Dec 2007

I wanted to post some pics of some of the welding/work tables I've made (I've made 7). My original table was 4'x6' with a 1/4" welded to the top. I quickly discovered that that warps the top. The tables I'm using these days are are 2x2x.125 square tubing monsters that are designed to hold 1000+ lbs of concrete countertops. Since they have melamine tops on them, I've discovered the best way to weld on them is use 4 large rect. tubing pieces to clamp to and keep the piece off the wood top and also keep the piece level. Anyway here's some pics.

The way I made these tables was to make the top and bottom a mitered square. then I welded 3 cross-pieces in the top and one in the bottom and welded the top and bottom together with 6 verticle pieces (8 on the 10' tables).

As a self-taught welder I've developed a technique that may or may not be correct, but it works for me. I tack-weld everything into place first (two welds at each contact point for sq. tubing). I have a set of cast aluminum 90" braces that I got for $25 each. I clamp onto these braces and tack-weld. I try to do all 4 corners clamped at once if possible. Once THE ENTIRE pieces has been tack welded together I go back and weld strategically to create the greatest strength but not welding enough welds to make it warp. I have never had a weld break on these tables and we use them pretty roughly. I'll weld symmetrically to cut down on warping. Sometimes I'll weld to make it warp in a certain direction.
                            Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                            RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
                            Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                            Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
                            Hitachi 4.5" grinder
                            http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

• KBar
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by WACKO WELDER View Post
                              I assume this is a soloution to being able to slide one size square tube inside another. If so where and what would the shims look like. ?

Confused
                              Wacko
                              Rather than use shims, go to where you get your metal, ask them for tubing that they use for receivers on class 3 hitches. It has a name but flew past my mind for a moment. This stuff is seam free. Saves a lot of headaches. I always try to keep a small section of it on hand.
                              Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
                              Hobart Handler 187
                              Dewalt Chop Saw
                              4" Air Grinder
                              Die Grinder
                              Rigid Drill Press
                              Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

Working...
                              X