Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SignWave
    replied
    nice looking rig, but how long would it take to pay it off?
    thats the real queston behind "getting off the grid"

My electricity bill avg's a 100/month (give or take depending on time of year and work being done)

5 years (on the inside) is a long time for 5.5 Kw. the avg electric stove requires 10Kw @ 240VAC.

None the less this is still a nice looking rig. Most of the parts look easy enough to fab. even that micro porcessor controller isnt too hard to make if you have the right setup

Leave a comment:

• 1bjw4076
    replied
    kits & book

http://www.prairieturbines.com/index.htm

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    I always think about how to use a car's alternator to do this. The problem is that you'd need a battery just to generate a field current. Depending on the size of the alternator, wind speed, and wind mill blade size- you could realize 500 watts at 120 volts once it is converted. The reason I want to use an altenator is because its already AC current. (No inverter required.. A pricy item especially if you want some serious power.) All you'd need to do is regulate it, step it up and away you go. Now if you can get 10 of those going and synchronize them, you could run a small welder or most of the lighting load in your home..but you need the space.

Keep in mind that as you draw power from this rig, the magnetic forces inside the alternator will tent to make the windmill want to slow down. Ever notice that when you put a huge load on a gas genny, it will bog and then come back up to speed? I cant remember what this is called but its inherant to any generator that has a load.

If you could find yourself a series wound dc motor, hook that up to your windmill with some ten foot, well balanced blades you could really make some serious power- depending on how large a dc motor you find.. ANY DC MOTOR CAN BE MADE INTO A GENERATOR. A series motor will however continue to create more and more current until it finally burns up. This is what A.G.Bell put into service to light up the late 19th century - until Tesla showed him up that is. the problem is that you need to convert this power to AC if you want to be able to run it any distance. (voltage drop-line loss)

Ive got a hybrid solar system running on a cabin up country. We talk a great deal about adding wind to our setup. The problem is that we are surrounded by 50 foot trees so we would have to build a pretty high tower to get up into the prevailing winds. If we did though... Ooooh weeeeeeeeeee! We could have tv, microwave, kettle, PC, etc.. pretty much any 1500watt appliance.
    Our system is 12 volts, 200 watts and charges a bank of 6 volt series/parallel lead acid batteries which in turn goes through a 750watt inverter. This will run a small 12inch tv, battery chargers, small electric tools and our lighting load without worry of going flat dead.

A "hybrid" system is one that has both solar and gas generator on a common circuit. Through the use of a transfer switch, we can use one or the other to charge our batteries or use the gas genny or the inverter to run the lights

Search out solar power and you will be sure to come across some wind generation ideas.

I hope this helps you out and these links will give you some more ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehauJgFGKZM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRD61...eature=related
    Rich
    Last edited by SignWave; 12-04-2007, 11:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EdZep
    replied
    "Make" quarterly magazine

[I replied to your post on the Motosports board, but, I'll add it here, since this is a better place for it.]

They ran a piece last year on making a wind generator. Not sure of the output. Looks like they sell back issues for $15.

http://makezine.com/05/

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    started a topic anyone make a wind generator ??

anyone make a wind generator ??

i have to live with all the wind, i figured it would be nice to put it to work for me. i can run my house off a 5500w generator when power goes out so i figure it would not take much to make a wind powered one to get me off the grid. anyone done anything like this ??? or know any good places for research or info on them ?
    thanks.
Working...
X