Small alum repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small alum repair.

Usually when i get alum jobs they are the ones everyone else in town passes up. This shop called me and said you will like this job. No problem for me. Its a screen door frame for a travel trailer. The round channel pulled out where the hinge was. So i cut some 3/8" alum bar and counterbored a bushing hole in one end. Then i modified some hardware store bushings on my lathe. Then beat the new tube/bar stock into the channel and tacked it with my spoolgun. The frame is only like 1/16" thick so i had to watch it didn't burn away. Tacks will hold it as its in the channel and really can't go anyplace...Bob
    Attached Files
    Bob Wright

Hey Bob,
    Nice fix. You know, I love those "pass-it-on" jobs other shops won't take or figure it's not worth the aggravation..... usually good $$$. Besides, it generally results in some super references for future work. I'll take them anytime.

Your fix & method worked well & it is another reason I try to persuade weldors to get a small lathe & mill for those "just-in-case" repairs that may pop in. There is good $$$ to be had for the xtra effort to machine an odd or discontinued part. Always worked for me....

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Comment

A mill, a lathe and a couple of welders and you can rebuild the country. Throw in a couple of weldors and you can rebuild the world!
      Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

Yup gotta have a lathe for sure. I have 5 of them and i am sure thats not enough I had a small job last week where a guy had a trans from a boneyard and the kid wacked off the shifter tube. So he wants me to cut off a good tube off a bad trans and weld it on. I just bored a small tube and welded it on his new trans. Took about 6 minutes and i was off to lunch at Mickey d's with 30 bucks in my pocket...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

I often tell my wife, after doing some odd household repair: "I don't know how a house can be complete without a machine shop in the basement"

After 8 years....she understands. Now she wants welding lessons! I'm a lucky guy
          _kevin

Syncrowave 250 Analogue
          Maxstar 200SD
          Maxtron 450
          IntelliTIG 40
          S64M Wirefeeder

Non-Blue:
          Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
          Lincoln Precision Tig 275
          Lincoln WeldPak 155

Comment

If she learns to weld she may not need you any longer. Have you ever thought of that?
            Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
            Miller 340A/BP
            Victor O/A torches
            Lincoln SP125
            Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
            78 GS1000
            82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Working...
            X