Tig Welding 18 Gauge steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Welding 18 Gauge steel

Hello I am using a Dynasty 200 dx to do metal replacement on a car restoration (I do not own a mig which is more suited) It is very diffucult to weld in the positions needed for auto body Has anyone ever used a tig in this kind of situation dealing with less than clean steel? I have sandblasted and acid cleaned my joints before welding but I still get an oarnge deposit on my welds (which I assume is rust oxide) Is it possible to use AC Tig for steel? could it help clean the welds Thanks Mike

Tig welding anything less than clean steel is going to be tough. The only AC tig I have done is for aluminum.... sorry I can't be more help.

Comment

The orange deposit you speak of may be lack of gas. You didn't give any particulars about your settings so, this is my best guess based on some experience.

Try turning your argon up and make sure you don't have a fan on or a breeze blowing across the work surface.

Comment

Thanks for the replies,In auto body work even the steel that looks clean can have rust hidden in it I find it is really topugh to tig anything but SUPER clean metal.Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sporty View Post
          The orange deposit you speak of may be lack of gas. You didn't give any particulars about your settings so, this is my best guess based on some experience.

Try turning your argon up and make sure you don't have a fan on or a breeze blowing across the work surface.
          I will ramp up the gas and see what happens Thanks Mike

Comment

Try this

Try electrode positive in this mode it will clean the metal more and I also agree with the better gas coverage idea the orange discoloration is from a lack of gas coverage about 30 cfm for less than 90 amps should be pleanty

Comment

If your already running from 25-30cfh on your argon, turning it up may worsen your problem. Too much gas creates a vortex effect and actually draws in atmosphere. If it were me i would clean the orange off after welding and immediately cover the area with a self etching primer. Make sure that you hit the back side if possible also. This is generally where your problems will start as time goes by.
              "smokin' joints for 19 yrs."

A.A.S. Weld Tech.

AWS CWI 08011711

Comment

I recently started at a new shop, had to do some tig on what was quite clean steel, I personally ground it with a flap disc. could not get anything but porosity and orange brown smut. Tried on several types of steel, still no good, swithched tanks of argon and wahlah, had a bad tank of argon, I blame all errors on myself at first, but this was a first seeing bad argon. hope this helps, Paul
                More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by paulrbrown View Post
                  I recently started at a new shop, had to do some tig on what was quite clean steel, I personally ground it with a flap disc. could not get anything but porosity and orange brown smut. Tried on several types of steel, still no good, swithched tanks of argon and wahlah, had a bad tank of argon, I blame all errors on myself at first, but this was a first seeing bad argon. hope this helps, Paul
                  Thats interesting. I had a very similar problem a couple days ago tryin to tig aluminum. I coulnt for the life of me get it to work. It was totally acting like i had no sheilding, I turned the argon rate up and down, nothing worked!
                  Come to think of it, I emptied my argon in my attempts, swapped bottles and went home disgusted. The next day I started welding on a different project i had no issues welding anymore.. I never thought to think I had bad argon. Maybe that was it
                  Freelance Fabber
                  Mobile>
                  '01 Dodge 1ton w/deck
                  07 Miller Trailblazer 302g
                  Miller HF251-d
                  3hp air compressor
                  Spectrum 275 Extreme
                  Shop>
                  Miller Dynasty 300sd
                  Lincoln Migpak 180

Comment

bad gas

i didnt even know it was possible to get a bad batch of sheilding gas

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy D View Post
                      Try electrode positive in this mode it will clean the metal more and I also agree with the better gas coverage idea the orange discoloration is from a lack of gas coverage about 30 cfm for less than 90 amps should be pleanty
                      Dont want to sound ignorant here but how do I set the dynasty for electrode positive for steel? Also I was using about 15cfm gas at about 30 amps.Thanks Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy D View Post
                        Dont want to sound ignorant here but how do I set the dynasty for electrode positive for steel? Also I was using about 15cfm gas at about 30 amps.Thanks Mike

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
                          Assuming that you have a cylinder of clean argon and the only complaint is the orange appearance, maybe you are doing the best that you can with TIG. I doubt that DC+ would work very well on that type of metal but certainly you could give it a try.

Most body shops I've been at will use MIG or O/A on older metal, I agree that TIG does a neater job but the metal has to be right.
                          Miller Syncrowave 200
                          Milermatic 252
                          Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

Working...
                          X