what is needed to weld 1" plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is needed to weld 1" plate

Hi all, my welding experience is very limited, mostly it is quick repairs here on my farm. I have some one inch steel plate that I need weld together, does anyone have any suggestions as to how big of a welder I will need to get this job done? right now I only have a 135 mig & I don't think that is big enough, so I thought I would ask before I go out and buy something....

This is a broad question but a farm needs a Hobart AC/DC Stickmate.

Comment

Originally posted by sberry View Post
      This is a broad question but a farm needs a Hobart AC/DC Stickmate.
      You really mean a Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
      Millermatic 251
      Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
      Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
      Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Comment

Yeah, the Thunderbolt, or Stickmate will handle this thickness in mutiple passes just fine.

If you want to go with a wire feed, MM 212 would be the minimum, but the MM252 sized unit would be better.

Comment

similiar question

im thinking about starting up my own welding and fabrication business what type of miller machines will i need to handle any type of metal and thickness some stuff i weld is thicker than a inch?

Comment

stick it is then

I appreciate the replies, I'll pick up an ac/dc stick welder then...thanks much

Comment

Migman69

Look at the $17,000.00 Miller ultimate shop Sweepstakes. That would work for me.

Paul

Comment

Here is some info from Lincoln on the fastest way to stick weld thick plate. Oops file is to big so will try to PM it to ya. Your results may vary.

Comment

Your results may vary

Tried a forth time to send you some info. Where are the kids when you need them?

Comment

I agree with paul, heheh. If you have to ask what kind of equipment you need in a welding shop you are a loooooong ways from being ready to own one.
                    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
                    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
                    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
                    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
                    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
                    Arcair gouger
                    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by trapherscott View Post
                      Hi all, my welding experience is very limited, mostly it is quick repairs here on my farm. I have some one inch steel plate that I need weld together, does anyone have any suggestions as to how big of a welder I will need to get this job done? right now I only have a 135 mig & I don't think that is big enough, so I thought I would ask before I go out and buy something....
                      Any machine with an out put of 130 amps DC/CC 20% duty cycle and a hand full of 1/8" 7018 and that 1" plate is all but welded.

You don't need the AC for steel.

TJ
                      TJ______________________________________

Comment

Working...
                      X