X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wannabefastcrf
    started a topic gooseneck trailer design questions

gooseneck trailer design questions

i found a great deal on some 10 c channel 15.3 lb /ft. I am thinking about useing it to make a low boy gooseneck trailer 32 ft long. I was thinking about just useing it and 3" c channel crossmembers every 18 in. with a wood deck. does this seem like it would be strong enough to hold two cars? and either 6 or 7k axles.
    Last edited by wannabefastcrf; 02-17-2010, 01:48 AM.

• CrossJ
    replied
    Interesting thread. I was wondering if some of you who mentioned torque tubes could elaborate a little more. I am assuming the tube helps elleviate some of the flex common with longer trailers. I would welcome any insight. Thanks for any info.

Leave a comment:

• Badd00SS
    replied
    Originally posted by wannabefastcrf View Post

i started to put some ideas to paper. and for the record i did eye up a few trailers on ebay and a lot of them use 10 c channel frame for two car hauler set ups. when they are deck over designs most are I beam. correct me if im wrong (the crossmember thing was a fat finger at first on my part) but i like the idea of 16 center cross members works out even for the trailer.

i also read from a few ppl who like there axle just a fudge closer than 2/3. Because even though the thing is 32 ft long. a lot of the time it wont have two cars on it. whats your thoughts on a 20ft 12 ft split?I dont think loading it to have tounge weight will be an issue. Plus if i dove tail the last two feel I pry wont use it much.

like someone else said earlier. I want to build a strong trailer but I also dont want to over build it too both are not good or eff.
    Mine is 21/11 tows amazing.. Im telling you now, there are 14k lb rated 6" and 8" channel trailers on ebay that are selling, and apparantly not too many have wrecked... I think you can make what you have work.... FWIW, the little torque tube I added helped alot too... It has hauled 9800 lbs of steel, 9,000 lb trucks, a jeep and a silveado.... list goes on.

Last edited by Badd00SS; 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Building a trailer is pretty straightforward; we’ll talk you through it.

Here are some more options.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/

http://www.pj-parts.com/catalog-axle-assemblies_1.aspx

http://www.bigtextrailers.com/

Leave a comment:

• wannabefastcrf
    replied
    i have done a lot of welding but never took on a project of this size. a little nervous what to do. but there is a welding shop closing up near me and selling steel for .30 cents a pound! its hard to go wrong at that price. and a trailer is in my near future one way or another.

I found axles for just under 1K with shipping and hangers from
    http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Leave a comment:

• m.k.swelding
    replied
    I think 4 what ur gonna do that should be fine but thats just me.

Leave a comment:

• wannabefastcrf
    replied

i started to put some ideas to paper. and for the record i did eye up a few trailers on ebay and a lot of them use 10 c channel frame for two car hauler set ups. when they are deck over designs most are I beam. correct me if im wrong (the crossmember thing was a fat finger at first on my part) but i like the idea of 16 center cross members works out even for the trailer.

i also read from a few ppl who like there axle just a fudge closer than 2/3. Because even though the thing is 32 ft long. a lot of the time it wont have two cars on it. whats your thoughts on a 20ft 12 ft split?I dont think loading it to have tounge weight will be an issue. Plus if i dove tail the last two feel I pry wont use it much.

like someone else said earlier. I want to build a strong trailer but I also dont want to over build it too both are not good or eff.

Leave a comment:

• Smooth Operator
    replied
    You can BUY a full set of drawings to build that trailer plus about six to ten different trailers from Northern Tool/Hydralics for about $35.00. Takes all guesswork out of the project gives material list, axles to use and best of all an engineers's review of design stamp. I built a 40' 5th wheel hotshot trailer weighs 8000# and can haul 10,000#. PS. GO PENS

Leave a comment:

• Jim-TX
    replied
    I'm with the strawberry man on this. Take a look at some like it and see how they are done. Manufacturers literature might even give some clues as to the construction on their trailers. Look and learn.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Originally posted by Badd00SS View Post
    on a 32 foot deck he would not have a 25 foot span more like 21, and the load would be evenly distributed, only 1 cars weight plus a little of the second would be on it. Aside from the trailers weight. I would be more worried about twist with the 3 inch crossmembers.
    FYI, the numbers I’m giving are static load, not dynamic!

Leave a comment:

• Badd00SS
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Two 10” x 15.3# C channel 25-feet span are good for 7,100-pounds with 1.29-inch deflection!
    on a 32 foot deck he would not have a 25 foot span more like 21, and the load would be evenly distributed, only 1 cars weight plus a little of the second would be on it. Aside from the trailers weight. I would be more worried about twist with the 3 inch crossmembers.

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    ha ,,,,,,,,

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Didnt mean trailer work with tin snips.

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    When I first start doing this I didn't always look, I used my own thoughts. First couple trailers I built were so heavy they barely haul themselves. Now half the stuff is with tin snips and screw gun,,, ha

Leave a comment:

Working...
X