TIG with a "Cracker Box"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG with a "Cracker Box"

Hello to all you knowledgeable folk . . . . My question is an easy one "I hope". I currently am taking a fast track welding class where I am learning MIG & Stick.

My reason for learning to weld is for my own needs, not that of a profession.

While taking my class, I have now become interested in TIG also. I have a MillerMatic 251 & a Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone "Cracker Box". My instructor tells me I can put together a TIG system using the Lincoln as a power source.

I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has done this that would guide me as to what to buy and how to assemble. I am assuming I would have very little control over AMPS other than the pre-sets on the Lincoln. With this said, I am looking for what would be the "BEST" setup using the Lincoln. Brand names, model numbers . . . anything would help.

I realize that I could not do aluminum, but my gaol is to be able to do carbon & stainless tube and small pipe. Should I be successful at "mastering" TIG, I would probably buy a dedicated TIG unit like a Dynasty® 200 Series (DX).

Thanks in advance,
    Steve.

P.S. I can not tell you how valuable this forum has been. Thanks to all the info, it has allowed me to progress in my class much faster.
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Sorry, Just a Bump . . .

No chance anyone has done this, is there?

Steve
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Comment

yes you can, you just need a manual gas valve torch, and a regulator

to get the arc going scratch the tungsten like a match, no fancy lift arc for you!
      mm210
      maxstar 150

Comment

Cracker Box TIG

I too am interested in this. I have an AEAD 200LE engine driven welder and was wondering if it is possible to retrofit this with a TIG setup for welding thinner materials.

Comment

Yes, It is not that difficult. Just buy an air cooled tig torch with a manual gas valve and an adaptor fitting for the hose end that allows you to screw in the tig torch and your gas supply. It is a brass block lookin' thing that usually has an eye on it. The eye is where you connect your power source either by bolting it in the spot where your leads go, or just clamping your stinger on it. Then connect your work lead and weld away. OOppps, then you regrind your tungsten, turn on the gas and weld away, then regrind your tungsten and weld again. Until you get used to turning on the gas valve you will regrind a lot of tungstens. You can weld Alum with this rig in D/C scratch start (can't remeber if it is DCEP or DCEN, I never use this option) though it is not easy. I have a high frequency box that allows me to weld aluminum with A/C though.

Comment

Working...
          X