X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b-footn
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by superchip73 View Post
    Is that electrical reel for a cart/welder nurse cord or a accessory cord for grinders ect. If it is a nurse cord, can it handle 6/3 cord or 8/3 (50 amp or better). Ether way that is a awsome idea, so keep us updated.

PS, I like the cabinet too.
    I have about 100 feet of 8/3 that I'm going to put on the reel for powering up. The reel was supposed to be for my rig, but it was too big, so this is a good use for it. The cabinet came from SAMS club. I'm planning on painting the steel gray to match up with the reel and cabinet. I picked up the back wheels at Northern tool. I ran out of Argon yesterday, and I'm forcing myself to wait instead of grabbing some 6010 and finishing the project.

Comment

• superchip73
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by b-footn View Post
      I have about 100 feet of 8/3 that I'm going to put on the reel for powering up. The reel was supposed to be for my rig, but it was too big, so this is a good use for it. The cabinet came from SAMS club. I'm planning on painting the steel gray to match up with the reel and cabinet. I picked up the back wheels at Northern tool. I ran out of Argon yesterday, and I'm forcing myself to wait instead of grabbing some 6010 and finishing the project.
      I have about 80 feet on my cart and it is a PITA to get the cart back to the station, the cord keeps get under the tires. The next time my cart goes under the knife for reconstruction, I will have to steal your idea if you don't mind. The cabinet idea is great for storage and looks good, but I don't have room on my cart for much storage, just room for consumables. Anyhow you have a good start on a very clean and functional cart, uncluttered is the way I like them.
      Millermatic 350P
      Miller 30A Spoolgun
      Miller Spectrum 3080
      Miller Pro 300
      Miller 12RC Suitcase

Comment

• b-footn
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by superchip73 View Post
        I will have to steal your idea if you don't mind.
        I don't mind. My next project after this cart, is a receiver hitch carrier to carry the cart to the job. (dual purpose carrier to carry the streetglide would be nice too). My side work involves working on the roofs and mechanical rooms of skyscrapers.

Comment

• m.k.swelding
          • Feb 2009

I have my portable on a trailer that I carrie from job to job and I think that im gonna make it so I can roll it off the trailer so I can take the welder right up to my work and dont have to extend my cables

Comment

• b-footn
            • Feb 2005

I thought I would update the progress of the cart. I wired the cart for power, now I need to secure the Dynasty, make hangars for all the cables, and rod holders. A daunting task, lol.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Sberry
              • Sep 2005

As a side note one of the benefits of a dyn is lighter cords can be used but is there breaker somewhere on this cart? I see the cord was 8/3 conductor?

Comment

• b-footn
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                As a side note one of the benefits of a dyn is lighter cords can be used but is there breaker somewhere on this cart? I see the cord was 8/3 conductor?
                Busted again, lol. The cart is in progressional stages, only breaker is on the wall right now. I was trying to decide if one was necessary between the reel and the outlets. Looks like if you noticed it, someone else will at the most in-opertune time.

By the way, how ya doin'? It has been awhile.

Comment

• b-footn
                  • Feb 2005

Fixed the wiring problem
                  Attached Files

Comment

• CharleyL
                    • May 2009

b-footn,

It isn't a good idea to face electrical outlets up in a welding shop. Stray flying debris will end up in them and sparks will fly. This is the voice of experience. (many years ago - sorry, no pictures. I was running for the breaker).

Charley
                    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
                    2 O/A torch sets
                    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
                    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
                    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
                    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
                    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
                    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
                    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
                    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
                    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
                    Too many hand tools

Comment

• Sberry
                      • Sep 2005

Good Chris, one reason I mention it is that if feeding a panel there should be a 4 wire cord.

Comment

• b-footn
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                        Good Chris, one reason I mention it is that if feeding a panel there should be a 4 wire cord.
                        LOL, I'm working with what parts I have on hand in the shop. I bought a spool of 8/3 about 10 years ago. I did go to the hardware store for the breaker box and 2 breakers.

As far as the outlets themselves facing straight up, I'm not happy with that configuration, but it was easy enough for right now. I really am happy that y'all are keeping me safe as I don't have anyone around here who knows what they are looking at. (I'm obviously not an electrician).

The reel was configured for a 6 wire remote off of my PipePro304. If I had 4 wire cable, I would've used it.
                        Last edited by b-footn; 03-04-2010, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Sberry
                          • Sep 2005

It really causes some problems but,,, are you going to be plugging it into a main service panel with recept near the main? Its less than ideal but you need to at least install the bond screw in the cart panel I guess. Personally I would skip the 120V outlets until you had 4 wire.

Comment

• Sberry
                            • Sep 2005

Another thing you could do is find an electrician bud to scrounge up a small transformer to provide 120.

Comment

• chrisa7164
                              • May 2009

very nice cart...I'd say the easiest way to take care of those up facing outlets is just get an outdoor receptacle cover. That should keep any wayward particles out of the outlets..just my 2 cents ..
                              Miller Syncrowave 180
                              Miller 211 w/ spool-gun
                              Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                              Cutmaster 38 plasma
                              Oxy/Acet torch
                              DeWalt Multi-Cutter
                              Fiber Metal Helmets(old school)
                              Enough Snap-On to be a dealer.

Comment

• b-footn
                                • Feb 2005

This cart is consuming too much of my time, but it is kinda hilarious to piddle with it. I was just researching an electric drive for the wheels, and maybe a seat with a cupholder for the driver, lol. It's amazing what happens when there isn't any work going on.

I need to find a non-functioning golf cart somewhere and steel the drivetrain and controller from it.
                                Last edited by b-footn; 03-04-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X