Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim B
    replied
    very cool project! have you ever thought of using 2 20lb bottles and cutting one in 1/2 and cutting the ends off another the take the 2 1/2 pieces and weld them on the section you cut the ends off then you will have more capcity. just a thought

Leave a comment:

• Joe from N.Y.
    replied
    Originally posted by jerems View Post
    Smear some pipe dope on the threads - or teflon tape. The nipple probably doesn't butt up against the cap so the tube gasket won't help a lot.

Great job. Great idea. I'll put that on my someday list.
    Yeah, i never looked close until i took this photo this week, the nipple does not seat up against the rubber piece, i guess that is why i get a leak. i don't want to use dope on the threads, the sand will stick when i fill through the nipple and will make like a lapping compound and wear the threads over time. i think i will put probably a half of a tube of latex or silicone sealant caulking compound in the bottom of the cap and let it harden to like rubber. that would most likely give me a better seal. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• jerems
    replied
    Dope it

Smear some pipe dope on the threads - or teflon tape. The nipple probably doesn't butt up against the cap so the tube gasket won't help a lot.

Great job. Great idea. I'll put that on my someday list.

Leave a comment:

• Joe from N.Y.
    replied
    Originally posted by KYZAAC View Post
    hey, i made a blaster a few months back, it is similar to yours, the filler port is the same, 2" nipple and cap. how do you have the inner tube sealing the cap? could you take a pic? mines leaking, i tried a few diff ways to place the tube but it still leaks.
    thanks
    I know you solved your problem, but i will post this here for the benefit of those who might have the same question:

mine is not a perfect seal. It is good, but there is a slight air leak. It never bothered me enough to look any further into fixing it. I used a rubber circle of inner tube to fit in the cap.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I used a radius arm grommet from a ford pickup. pull it up to seal and when the pressure drops it opens. Used pressure washer hose for the blast hose and 1/8 xh pipe nipples for the blast nozzles.
    There is a valve on the bottom to regulate the sand and I made long wand. I didn't use a dead man.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• KYZAAC
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe from N.Y. View Post
    Yeah, that is 2 inch pipe cut off for a filler hole. You use a funnel and pour your media in then cap it tight, using a piece of an old innertube as a gasket.
    hey, i made a blaster a few months back, it is similar to yours, the filler port is the same, 2" nipple and cap. how do you have the inner tube sealing the cap? could you take a pic? mines leaking, i tried a few diff ways to place the tube but it still leaks.
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• kiwi
    replied
    Hey Joe,
    Thanks for the photos.
    Nick

Leave a comment:

• fastopel
    replied
    Nice job JOE! Looks just as good as a retail unit. Keep up the good work. Darrell

Leave a comment:

• TJS
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe from N.Y. View Post
    Indeed i am. if i was younger, i would have been embarrassed to post the photos of my crap welds, but at this point in life, what the h e l l. if somebody could get an idea from the photos, great. I haven't touched a welding machine in over 10 years. i just retired from a hectic public sector job that kept me busy for years. i am finally getting around to doing the things i used to like to do in my free time. i picked up a 1988 jeep wrangler that needs a bit of welding, so i will get a bit better hopefully when the weather improves here in NY
    Practice, settings and seat time Joe...
    T.J.

Leave a comment:

• Joe from N.Y.
    replied
    Originally posted by ricau View Post
    Nice project Jonh and it's a good size for portable and small job. A use to be a sandblaster my self for 5 ears, 7 ears ago whit industriel big stuff!! Your kit is very cool , and y see that your a welder debutant seeing your welds
    Ricau
    Indeed i am. if i was younger, i would have been embarrassed to post the photos of my crap welds, but at this point in life, what the h e l l. if somebody could get an idea from the photos, great. I haven't touched a welding machine in over 10 years. i just retired from a hectic public sector job that kept me busy for years. i am finally getting around to doing the things i used to like to do in my free time. i picked up a 1988 jeep wrangler that needs a bit of welding, so i will get a bit better hopefully when the weather improves here in NY

Leave a comment:

• Joe from N.Y.
    replied
    Originally posted by MMW View Post
    To add to the OP's explaination -- the valve under the tank is only opened part way to regulate the amount of sand that comes out. If opened all the way you usually get way to much sand. ...
    Thanks for clarifying that point. You are completely right. if opened up too much, the blasting nozzle loads up with media and you get a real sh1t storm out of the nozzle when you hold the deadman lever, and a mess to clean up in the driveway.

Leave a comment:

• ricau
    replied
    Nice project Jonh and it's a good size for portable and small job. A use to be a sandblaster my self for 5 ears, 7 ears ago whit industriel big stuff!! Your kit is very cool , and y see that your a welder debutant seeing your welds
    Ricau

Leave a comment:

• rodknocker
    replied
    nice looking blaster but if you you use it a lot it will wear through the t fitting on the bottom, on commercial unit the t is actually a 4 way fitting with a plug in the bottom so there is more material there to wear.

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    To add to the OP's explaination -- the valve under the tank is only opened part way to regulate the amount of sand that comes out. If opened all the way you usually get way to much sand. The valve on the end of the hose (where the sand comes out to blast) should be opened all the way or it will have a short life as the sand will wear it away quickly if used to regulate flow by leaving it part way opened.

Leave a comment:

• m.k.swelding
    replied
    I have used a propane tank before to make a tire bomb to inflate truck tires

Leave a comment:

Working...
X