mini excavator weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini excavator weld

I am attempting to weld some cracks on the bucket cylinder arm. I now believe this piece is cast, thought it might be forged, I am ignorant with this sort of thing. I welded it with my mig, esab 450, .045 wire, mid heat, it crack when cooled (cast,right?).
    Anyway I have two large Tigs, two Migs, but no arc leads, My buzz box is at Dads.
    My question is: will my migged welds hold? I finally heated, welded, kept heat to allow slow cooling. I do not see any visual cracks.
    I do not feel very confident in the integrity of the welds.
    This is for my cousin ,who owns the two tig welders in my shop, he bought them at a good deal, hoping I will make it big, or at least do OK. So I want to at least fix his stuff right. That is the LEAST I can do for him.
    I am hoping Skid Ster Syeve may responde, it appears this my be up his alley.
    Or anyone else that has more experience with cast than me. Of course that is probably 90% of the population.
    Thanks, Tim.

Originally posted by tnjind View Post
    I am attempting to weld some cracks on the bucket cylinder arm. I now believe this piece is cast, thought it might be forged, I am ignorant with this sort of thing. I welded it with my mig, esab 450, .045 wire, mid heat, it crack when cooled (cast,right?).
    Anyway I have two large Tigs, two Migs, but no arc leads, My buzz box is at Dads.
    My question is: will my migged welds hold? I finally heated, welded, kept heat to allow slow cooling. I do not see any visual cracks.
    I do not feel very confident in the integrity of the welds.
    This is for my cousin ,who owns the two tig welders in my shop, he bought them at a good deal, hoping I will make it big, or at least do OK. So I want to at least fix his stuff right. That is the LEAST I can do for him.
    I am hoping Skid Ster Syeve may responde, it appears this my be up his alley.
    Or anyone else that has more experience with cast than me. Of course that is probably 90% of the population.
    Thanks, Tim.
    What excavator is it? Are you talking about the linkage that makes the bucket curl or the stick? If it's the linkage just use 7018 but preheat it a bit. If it's the stick you can use either 7018 or mig (er70s6) Dave.

Comment

Sorry for the vague info, it is a foreign mini. The piece is the link between the bucket and the cylinder.
      Thanks,
      Tim.

Comment

usually the "h-link" is made of ductile iron and shouldnt be welded to begin with. i havent ever tried to weld it, so good luck and maybe someone will know more about it than i do and point you in the right direction
        welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
        www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

I think welder_one is right. I have worked on construction equipment quite a bit and often they are a type of cast. Also that part has a tremendous amount of pressure put on it, mostly compression, but it still works hard. Might be better to order a new one. You might try pre-heat and a nickel based rod. Might work??? You could call the manufactur, but theyll tell you to buy a new one..
          Scott
          HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Mini,

Originally posted by tnjind View Post
            Sorry for the vague info, it is a foreign mini. The piece is the link between the bucket and the cylinder.
            Thanks,
            Tim.
            I have a hanix, its all mitisbushi!!!,and it has a knucle boom on,I was clearing for the new shop,way to dark,and got the bucket stuck on a stump,I thought i had my bucket and stick up enough,again,all mosy pitch black,well i swung the cab!!!!!!!!!,,I have plenty of piccs now,But i tore the pc that goes into the knuclke,has a 2 and 5/16 bolt down thrue,Did it right,and buddy machined a pc of 6"od 1018,and bored a 2-3/8 hole in, 7 and 1/8 long,,Never going to pull thi sucker again,,And yes I started putting lights on the cab!,There was one small light on the boom!!!!!!I cant blame any one but myself!!!

Need help,just yell!, The Hanix is a Japanese machine!,They just didnt inport them,But everthing is Mitishbushi!!!!!!,,I cant belice what the power of hyd has!!!!!When i swung the cab,and the boom started swing in the wind,I knew some thing had happened,!!!!!!!!This will look like a major leage ball park at night! when im done with it!!!!!!!Lots of work,and added some more 1" plate to add some gusto,well Just over buikt everthing,as no day at the beach taking apart alone!!!!!!!!!Good luck,and if ya need help yell,I wish I coulkd fine a manual for my machine,it has a 4 cky diesel,and ive dug rocks out bigger than the machine,and it one step under from becomeind a un mini, 80" blade!!!!!its a monster compared to what most guys have uo hee,in CT!!!!!!!!!!!I figured i gould of stuck it back together,but after taking it apart,Do it right,Jack--Still have to remount my hyd lines the way they came off,Just wanted to check for leaks,and everthing working corectky, I havent taken Pics of the Pc i tore apart,need one just ask!!!!!!!--PS,Mine is late 90's,and there is all steel!!!,No caststeel, all steel!!!!Alot of A-36,FYI,Jack--ALSO,How bout some nice pics!!!!!!!Thanks
            Attached Files
            Last edited by storts; 10-24-2007, 08:23 AM. Reason: Add

Comment

Mini-excavators are awesome machines. We have 6 DitchWitchs at work. Really Komatsu's and they are STRONG. Believe it or not, they can pull a fully loaded stuck bucket truck out or pull a pole out of the marsh. Seems almost nothing they can't do. One scoop beside the tree then push it over
              Scott
              HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Scott

They sure are a amazing machines!!!!!I put it up there with my eliss saw,and Iron worker!!!!!!!!Thats sying something,,,

WE need Pics of the broken one!!!!!!!!!,Jack

Comment

Cast steel. I welded on one about a year ago-preheat and 7018. I saw the owner recently and no problems.

Comment

Ray

Could be a dirrent part of the assembly,would like some Pics,so we know which part,and the type of machine,as there Mostly forieng,But what type of forien???????????Thanks,Jack

Comment

Just got home , It is an Exmark, H-link was cracked in 3 places, this machine is abused and tortured on a daily basis.
                      We will probably try it if it breaks then we will make a whole new piece.

Thanks for all of the responses, Tim.

Comment

i talked with a fella that i used to work with in the quarries. if there was ever anything difficult to weld, jack did it. he said that if you gouge the cracks down to almost all the way through with a grinder, preheat to about 300 and then weld with 7018 and clean very well between passes, then gradually cool down. then it might make another day, other than that replace it. now if you are talking about the "side links" the 2 pieces that go from the rod end back to the dipperstick, they are usually a572 gr.50 steel. weld away. here is a pic of a small excavator that i welded the rod end back on on a bucket cylinder. i also had to weld the side links back together as well. you'll have to look hard, it is behind the rig truck...lol
                        Attached Files
                        welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
                        www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

yep, saw the digger, had to look pretty hard. Thanks for the info, and the col pic.
                          Later ,Tim.

Comment

Working...
                          X