New torch advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New torch advice

I am looking into getting a torch for home sometime in the future, so I am looking around and would like to clear up a couple of questions. Right now my priority would be a straight cutting torch, not one of those do it all toys, if that makes a difference.

First of all, what is the different between Victor and Harris style tips/torches. I have been told that they are not compatible. Is one better than the other, or is it a toss up.

Secondly, can you use the same torch for Acetylene as for propane? Right now Propane would be easier at home, but options are nice.

Thirdly, I know there are different styles of hoses, what's the difference? Can they all be used with any fuel gas?

Finally, (For now, my memory good, I just have trouble using it!) does anybody know about the wonderful topic of insurance. Here in B.C. I have be told, (unsure if true) that having any sort of compressed cylinder within your residence, including garage, nulls your insurance. Does any body have an idea on this. Storing bottles outside would be a reall pain.

If anybody has any words of wisdom for any, or all (sorry about having so many questions) of these subjects, the help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Shorerider:

Victor tips and Harris tips are not interchangable. If you are looking you should also consider Smith. Somewhere on this board, or the Motorsports board is a pretty good thread comparing Smith and Victor torches. Search for it. Go here for the thread - http://www.millerwelds.com/education...ht=smith+torch

If you are buying new, you may save money by buying one of the kits, which will have the torch, some cutting tips, welding tips, hose and regulators.

Type "R" hose can be used only with acetylene. Type "T" hose can be used with acetylene, propane, or propylene. If you use Grade R hoses with propane or propylene it will eat them up in short order.

In any of the torches, cutting tips are different for acetylene and propane. The tips are relatively inexpensive so having tips for propane and acetylene is not a killer. Tips for any of the torches are readily available online, and on Flea Bay.

I know nothing of insurance in Canada. Here it Texas my insurance rules are that if the gas bottles are not on a truck (dolly) then they have to be chained to a wall.

Adios-----

Comment

Also, new safety guideline (requirement?) I got from Airgas says oxygen and fuel cylinders can't be stored/used side-by-side without physical barrier.

Don't know how an inspector might interpret that, but the Airgas people didn't seem to think I had a problem since mine aren't stored right next to each other and they're different heights. Also, saw some new tank carts with a metal plate separating the heads. So it must be just the heads they're worried about -- which I guess makes sense.

Comment

I do know this much, no one...and I do mean no one will be inspecting my cylinders on my property....ever. What they don't know will do them no harm....trying to inspect my place just might. Insurance people do not rule the world contrary to what they may believe.

I have all straight cutters. I also have a weld handle for the rosebud and tips if I ever need them. I just prefer the cutters and always have. Less orings and joits to worry with and they are much lighter. I have two Victor 900C's and a Harris 62-5E. All are great and I would recommend them readily. I haven't ever tried a Smith, but may one day. I got my two newest torches on ebay, NIB for 1/4 to 1/3 the retail price. The deals are there if you look long enough.
        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
        '06 12RC feeder
        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
        Esab Multimaster 260
        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

I agree about looking for deals as I picked up a nice victor set for $25... and as far as lp I like it as it is more versatile.Here is a pic of two cuts I made using the same tip (#1) and pressures at the regs. 7 lp and 40 oxy.
          Mike
          Attached Files
          George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
          Fear is temporary, regret is forever
          HH210 with SG

Comment

Memory kicked in again, and another question popped up. Can you use the same regs for acetylene as Propane? I imagine the pressure settings would be different either way though.

Thanks for the input guys.
            Makita 5" grinder
            Makita 14" abrasive saw
            IR SS5L compressor

Comment

You can probably use an acetylene regulator for propane, but definitely not a propane regulator for acetylene. With acetylene, you can't exceed something like 15 psi. Also, with propane, you don't have that 6:1 (or is it 7:1?) limitation.

Comment

Hi ya Shorerider,
                Heres something else to remember in order to save your A$$. when you go to use your set up and are going to light it up or shut it off, remember this little poem:

A before O or up you go.... when you lite it, acetelyne first then oxi. when you turn it off acetylene first then Oxi..My shop teacher told me that one many many years ago.. I never forgot it. it only took one good "pop!" to sink it in my head for good.

I tend to agree with DDA52. I am a firm believer in "roman law" and what they dont know wont hurt. I consider myself to be very conscious about my tanks. I know that they could level my home and my surrounding neighbours' homes too. So, safety is number one. I custom built my cart to protect the valves should it fall over. they are strapped in and are very stable too.

acetylene is held in suspension in acetone. kinda like a bottle of coke. so if you destabilize the tank by dropping it or tipping it or w.h.y., let it stand for a while to settle again. if you already knew all this crap, forgive for sounding like broken record. safety first...accidents never.
                Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
                Syncro200
                Spectrum 625
                O/A
                Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
                Standard modern lathe
                Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
                horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                Roland XC540 PRO III
                54" laminator
                hammer and screwdriver (most used)
                little dog
                pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

Originally posted by SignWave View Post
                  Hi ya Shorerider,
                  Heres something else to remember in order to save your A$$. when you go to use your set up and are going to light it up or shut it off, remember this little poem:

A before O or up you go.... when you lite it, acetelyne first then oxi. when you turn it off acetylene first then Oxi..My shop teacher told me that one many many years ago.. I never forgot it. it only took one good "pop!" to sink it in my head for good.
                  Our teacher taught us the same thing when we first went of using the torch. Too bad some dunderheads don't know how to listen, scarry... Luckily no one has tried the infamous, and exceptionaly stupid, acetylene in a ballon trick, yet. Kids these days.

I'm currently starting my C-Level program through the high school, so I've gotten pretty good at cutting with a torch. Now I want to get one for home to play around with. Would also like a Dynasty 200Dx, Drill Press, Band Saw.... I'm sure you guys can relate. I'll try and post some pics of my welding and some of my other projects on another thread when I get a chance.
                  Makita 5" grinder
                  Makita 14" abrasive saw
                  IR SS5L compressor

Comment

Harris and Victor are two big brand names in torches. Sometimes they are copied. I don't think I would buy a copied torch, just look how badly they are messing up children's toys that come from overseas! Plus, the brand names can be repaired and you can find tips everywhere.

I myself am looking, too. I am leaning toward the Victor kits, they make a Super Range II kit that sells at the local shop for $250. I've been told at two shops that the only thing you have to change for Victor are the tips to go with propane- they include the T type hose now. I can buy a gas grill propane empty tank for $20 at the warehouse store, then $11 to fill it. Propane tips are + or - about $8. They want $150 for the acetylene tank. I think I will start with the propane, I can always get acetylene later, if necessary. Ha, with the almighty Canadian dollar, you might want to shop in the US! (why am I ha-ing.....)

Storing gas cylinders? That would be a joke if it ever came up. Can you imagine how many people store their propane tanks (on their grills) inside? I don't know how they could make an issue out of it, unless it was way out of line, like blowing up the neighborhood.

Comment

Our torch at school is a Harris, and I quite like it, it is very well balanced. The only problem is I can't find any Harris around here. My regular tool store sells Harris knock offs, and a brand called Uni-Weld, but I don't know what quality they are.

Of the three major brands is there really a huge differnce in quality/ performance? Or is it more a matter of local availability and personal preference?

Unfortuanetely the torch is going to have to wait a little longer as the purchase of my new Dyanasty beat the cr*p out of my bank account. Never the less, a prepared shopper is the shopper who gets the best deal in the end, so I shall continue to research.
                      Makita 5" grinder
                      Makita 14" abrasive saw
                      IR SS5L compressor

Comment

Working...
                      X