• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SignWave
    started a topic Who Enjoys a Challenge?

Who Enjoys a Challenge?

Hey Everybody,
    Just short note to share the latest. As some of you may have already noticed, I posed a photo of some "inspiration" elsewhere within this board.
    The purpose of this roll is to acquire an aluminum boat this week end..

So the gist of this thread... THIS BOAT IS A PIECE OF CRAP. It needs alot of TLC and Im willing to take the challenge...just not sure if its worth it or not.
    I have to take two ferries to get to it, Ive never seen it in person and I think the price is a bit steep(without seeing the thing) The story as to what I was gonna get has changed three or four times...and the guy keeps cutting back on what he was wiling to part with.. Oh and I let the same guy park his truck at my place for an entire month free of charge while he was up north doing some logging. Never even said "thanks"... but he did show up on my doorstep upon his return with a beer in hand and he did hoark in my garden right in front of me...

16ft, welded aluminum, with a honda 45 4stroke Extra long shaft (hahahahahahaha!!! sigh), no paper work to show ownership though i know its really his to begin with.... its most likely been in the weather for no less than a year, the railings, console, and sole are all in need of some attention. The guy cut the railing so he could mount a sheet of plywood to act as a wind break..... smart huh? Of all the dumba$$ ideas.. I thought I had some, but that takes the cake.. I know this sounds really sketchy and Im sort of at a loss. I should go look at it at least.

what do you think?

• SignWave
    replied
    still moving along...

This is my attempt at being a magician... My trick is to turn $hit into gold...

waiting on gaskets..

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    I ordered all the gaskets for the engine on thursday. Been busy washing all the goo off of it so i will be ready to rebuild it.

The original block and pan had to be removed. I have another one to replace it. Hence the mess in my shop.

This will be the first outboard ive dismantled. Hope fully the last too.

Im going to be gettin another head for it complete with cam, valves, springs, everything really.

So im thinking.
    reprofile the cam and the valves, mill the head , polish the rods, rejet the carbs, bore it out 25 over, and polish the ports- maybe i can realize another 20 hp from this machine. That would be way cool.

70 hp in the shape of a 50... hehehehehe... the boat would fly.... well maybe not fly but it would plane real well...

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    what dark pics???? They look great!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the update!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    all kinds of fun... sorry about the dark pics. I was going to photoshop the lot, but I was feeling lazy.

been thinking about reprofiling the cam, shaving the head, and boring .025 over. I wonder if I could get 70 hp out of this machine without having to run high test fuel.... put that on my 900 pound boat and she'll do close to 50 mph.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SignWave; 11-26-2007, 01:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    Honda sux?

SO my box of engine stuff (junk) came today. And now the work begins... Im going to be swamped with this engine.. Ive got alot of stuff to change out.
    Anybody know where i can get myself a good Merc? 60hp would be great
    Ive even got life jackets the say:
    "mercury, the water calls..." and it does...

Sigh... wish me luck guys...

Leave a comment:

• Dustyhaze75
    replied
    stacked dimes ........................................

Ok, so I cranked up the balance control to 7 and it worked great. I finally got the stacked dime effect. now I just have to play around and fine tune it. today went well. I butt welded tons of alum. with a nice stacked dime look. I was going crazy last night. I tryed cranking the pulse but only got a smooth finish. It seemed to work best on 1pps 75 peak and 25 background. I'll be playing with it for months. I'm one of thoes guys that just cant get comfortable until it's absolutely perfect. once I picked up my travel speed i found it easyer to create the stacked dime look. pre heating also helped out alot. my biggest problems now are cleaning the parts properly and the operator(me).

Leave a comment:

• Dustyhaze75
    replied
    boat...................

looks awsome .................................................. ..
    I got my gas lenses, material and cleaning supplys. A month later! I started aluminum for the first time last night, and alls I can say is WOW. I got a butt joint tacked but man .............it felt like I was doing a vertical root weld or keyhole weld. I need to pre heat more, too fast on the pedal. the pulse feature,...........now thats a whole new planet. I'm lost ! I set my pulse at 1pps 75%peak and 25% background. havent played with it yet, I only welded for about half-hour last night. Do you have any suggestions? I'm welding 1/8" alum. at 140amps. as soon as I took off the pulse feature I blew through it like it was soft butter lmao lmao. my balance control is at 3 should I crank it to 7? also I think my metal was contaminated because alls I had was 3m pads and acetone. I'm getting a ss wire brush today. I'll figure it out, going back out today. I'm using a metal welders finger and I was getting arcing on the bottom of the work piece while welding on the top. should I not be using a metal welers finger on aluminum? today I'm going to crank my balance control, lower amps and play with the pulse. we'll see what 125pps 95 background and 95 peaktime does. I don't know. My computer is a piece of ****. I've been having problems posting pictures etc.
    I'm working on it! BANG BANG ! wish I could weld it better. I got a new miter saw with lazer, stand etc. woo hoo ...............................................
    my father in law also just gave us his 14' fiberglass boat with a new eng. I havent seen it yet. he keeps it out at a friends place, out of town. I think it has a 40h on it. not sure yet. hopefully it's bigger he he he . I'll take some pictures when we get it. apparently it's in pristine shape. it has a new roof cover and has been stored in a heat and humidity controlled shop. anywho .............................the control panel looks awsome. I'm jelious !
    time to go bang my head off the wall. I'll never give up ................................................da mit.

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    Originally posted by shott8283 View Post
    too many things never enough time!

how did you go about lifting hte motor off the transom.. looked like a lift or "come-a-long" in the pic...
    I hear ya on the time thing.... uhg...

I used a come along. the carport is covered by a sundeck so i just layed out a two by ten on the deck, left a few inches sticking out to wrap a chain around and then hooked the comealong to the chain. most larger engines have a lifting eye under the the cowl.

Leave a comment:

• shott8283
    replied
    ive been procrastinating on building a stand for my motor and getting it off the boat for the winter...1970's 85HP old Merc silverstripe, on a 73 glastron 15ft'er .. too many things never enough time!

how did you go about lifting hte motor off the transom.. looked like a lift or "come-a-long" in the pic...

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    A few more pics

Just some misc shots that Ive taken as a push forward on this project.
    Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    an update

Hey All,
    I havent been in here for a while. Ive got ten things on the go right now and the boat is getting its fair share.
    -I built myself a cheesy engine stand so that I could bring the engine inside.
    I built it too wide and had to cut it in half, take out a few inches and weld
    it back together.... nothing like a little planning... The engine is in the house
    now.

-Ive gone through the engine electrical and discovered the problems
    hindering its starting and repaired them . Some jackass used "never seize"
    as an anticorrosion compound.... on the electrical connectors and the
    starter solenoid was fried. Ive also taken the lower leg apart in an effort to
    replace the shaft seals. I had to make a couple of tools in order to make
    that happen and I welded up the holes and crack in the anticavitation
    plate. I just need to put it all back together, but a coat of paint first.
    Epoxy sealer and then the finish color and a clear cote.

-Ive raised the height of the console, cut in gauges, put in a steering
    wheel. Next stop will be to the boat and welding it in place

-Ive pretty much sealed up all the holes in the hull except for the transom
    (its a real mess) and thats going to be the next area of attack. I need to
    cut out the old reinforcing 2x6 thats been buried inside the transom and
    behind a plate aluminum retatiner.. ITs welded in good.. Not a fun job to
    remove.

-In about 4 days I should be getting a box or two of engine parts from Nova
    Scotia and that will allow me to put the engine back together. for the
    most part the engine is in pretty good shape, but does need some TLC
    (alot of TLC...)

Things are moving along.. I just wish I was idol rich and didnt have a day job to worry about... Have a look at the attached pics...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    SignWave,
    just started reading this thread and have to say: CONGRATULATIONS!!! Doing a great job, but you haven't posted for about 19 days! By the speed you were going, I figure you must be in the water by now Have any updated pics?
    Thanks for the posts and hope to see the new pics soon!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    A before O or up you go!...

always hook up the ground, neutral and then the hot. Hot, neutral ,ground when disconnecting. this is a general rule of thumb. that way, theoretically, you are less likely to get stung because the hot is always out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• KBar
    replied
    same way with electric, you can wire a receptacle or light hot as long as you hook up the hot wire first and the ground wire last or is it the other way around.

Electric is your friend until you piss it off

Leave a comment:

Working...
X