No announcement yet.

Who Enjoys a Challenge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sign, you got yourself a nice boat there. That would be the perfect crabbing boat here on the East coast. Little elbow grease and some good aluminum cleaner, it will look like new.

Before you spend days checking the motor for a loose wire, check the switch. Mine was driving me nuts for a week, run and shut off, run and shut off, called the tech guy out from the marina, **** switch, who woulda thought.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

Thanks Guys,
      Im getting happier by the minute with this "steal" of a deal(or should I say Aluminum?

The sides are .125 or at least thats what i thought i saw when I breifly glanced yesterday and I think the bottom is .1825". I really wish I knew the grade of aluminum though

When I was towing the thing home and while still looking like a peice of sh t, I had some guy come up to it and start eyeing it up. The wife says to me: "Maybe he'll make an offer and you can sell it for more than you bought it for.."
      I smiled and told her i'd been waiting way too long for this.. And crabbing is exactly what it'll be doing first then some prawing for some bc coast monsters!!. I'll keep posting as I move ahead with this project. The last boat I built (exactly like this one) took just under a month. I started with just a bare hull. I Had to get it welded up to my specs. by someone else. 450.00 bucks later for less than two hours work and a small amount of material.... Sigh. It gives me a great deal of pleasure knowing that I'LL BE WELDING this time around...the wiring and mechanics will also have to be done. I have to shorten the leg on the engine ( I hope its an easy one cuz legs aren't cheap...) because its too long right now and I need to put in a tach and tilt trim indicator as well as extra gauges for " Tim the tool man factor".

As for the engine wiring, I'll find that trouble with my eyes closed. I'll have a couple more pics tomorrow I think...

ciao for now.
      Last edited by SignWave; 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM.
      Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
      Syncro200
      Spectrum 625
      O/A
      Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
      Standard modern lathe
      Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
      horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
      Roland XC540 PRO III
      54" laminator
      hammer and screwdriver (most used)
      little dog
      pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

boat .........

good deal signwave.....
        very nice boat. get's me excited just looking at the pictures. I can only imagine how you feel. got your self a little piece of gold. Now how much for it ? ...................lol just joking. good thing you took the time to look at it. good luck with it. sounds like she just needs a massage and some luvin. Have you named her yet ? lol. hope every thing goes smooth for you.
        Syncro250DX Tigrunner
        Victor set
        Elite auto-helmet
        Dewalt Bench grinder
        Mastercraft miter saw
        Mac air tools
        Mac hand tools
        Toothbrush
        pencil
        toilet paper

Comment

Originally posted by Dustyhaze75 View Post
          good deal signwave.....
          very nice boat. get's me excited just looking at the pictures. I can only imagine how you feel. got your self a little piece of gold. Now how much for it ? ...................lol just joking. good thing you took the time to look at it. good luck with it. sounds like she just needs a massage and some luvin. Have you named her yet ? lol. hope every thing goes smooth for you.
          Thanks Dusty,
          I do have a name in mind but not til she's finished! I discovered that one of the shafts seals is gonzo. Im also looking at getting myself a different lower leg or drive shafts so that I can make this puppy into a short leg engine. Right now its an extra long leg and buddy who had it before me drilled new mounting holes and jacked it up four inches... whata Jacka$s....I guess you do what you have to do to get it going eh? If you saw the pics, you'll see what i mean by the donkey comment... anyways thanks again. Maybe i'll be able to take aya fishin on one of those cariboo lakes next srpint / summer... we can talk welding hehehehehe....cheers

Miller 251/30A spool
          Syncro200
          Spectrum 625
          O/A
          Standard modern lathe
          horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
          Roland XC540 PRO III
          54" laminator
          little dog

Comment

strip tease

Hey everyone, Well i ve got the boat down to the hull. She's bare naked now.
            As i go through the with a fine tooth comb I am finding all kinds of "gong show" misdoings from past owners and dumba$$es. The engine im thinking may be a write off as there seems to be four posts that have been broken off under the flywheel. Those posts would of course hold the coils .... the skeg is chewed up something fierce, there is gear oil on the drive way from an undisclosed leak and the shifter ha some broken parts and needs some loving too. If this machine will start, I think it'd be a miracle. one of the *stbilizer fins on the lower leg has a nice long crack in it from imporper mounting of the "whale tail". All the zincs have been digested by Miss Sea so they will need replacing if its worth it..

*Is it possible to weld this type of casting? Im not sure of the metals that were used to cast the lower leg unit. I suspect some form of aluminum...

I bought a techmanual from a guy on ebay so I will know all the unknowns in a few days.

The hull is full of holes and cracks that are going to need welding up, but im not worried abou thtis stuff, but it goes to show that some people really dont have a clue or just dont care about their things.. When I get finished with this metal lady, she's gonna look like million bucks. Ill post some pics tommorow when i get a chance to back away from my desk.
            Last edited by SignWave; 10-26-2007, 11:39 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
            Syncro200
            Spectrum 625
            O/A
            Standard modern lathe
            horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
            Roland XC540 PRO III
            54" laminator
            little dog

Comment

I often had the same question you did and would throw the parts away if they were cracked. Then I asked a friend of mine who has a shop and does welding every day for a living. He had told me it is the same as welding aluminum and you use aluminum filler. Don't take my word though, see what other responses you get.
              Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
              Hobart Handler 187
              Dewalt Chop Saw
              4" Air Grinder
              Die Grinder
              Rigid Drill Press
              Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

Good thing its halloween cuz this is scary!!!!

a picture is worth a thousand words.... and a few feet of wire and a couple of cubic feet of gas and few watthours of electricity.....

Before.... and after to follow...tomorrow sometime..
                Attached Files
                Last edited by SignWave; 10-27-2007, 09:00 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
                Syncro200
                Spectrum 625
                O/A
                Standard modern lathe
                horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                Roland XC540 PRO III
                54" laminator
                little dog

Comment

sorry to hear about the motor. sounds like somebody violated every orifice and raped it. I'd imagine its weldable, should be aluminum cast. Aluminum cast parts and anything over 1/4 " benefit from pre-heating. put part in oven at 350 degrees F until it's heated evenly. for example an aluminum head should be pre-heated for at least an hour. (with a head its hard to clamp the head into a fixture or jig so expect a slight amount of warpage from the welding and the heat treatment, expect to shave the head to remove the warpage once done) just dont know if it's practical or how long it would last. and would it be square and flush to the world? best to ask the manufacture the characteristics of the metal casting.If you can't weld on new studs can you drill and tap? don't know the motor so i don't understand. Is it a threaded stud siezed and broken in a hole ? it's possible, if using the right rod, to build on the broken stud untill it's out of the hole, then you can get a nut welded on. It takes skill and a special type rod so it doesent stick to the threads and splatter while your in there. A welder in calgary ab named wendal (great welder,great guy) used this method on siezed, broken bolts while we did undercarriage on dozers and excavators when I was there. It worked great. It was super fast compared to drilling it out and tapping. I'll try to find out what kind of rod he's using. think you'll be done by next summer? lol the boat might have you done by next summer. so what's the plan for the motor? mabey you can get anouther junker and make one out of two if it doesn't start? I doubt it but just a thought. weld up the crack, paint, and get rid of her if it's too far gone. someone will buy it for parts. think you'll be able to get her goin? the boat's always fixable I just hope the motor works out for you. I can't imagine a honda 4 being cheap.
                  get lots of pictures when you tear down the motor. I'm having picture withdrawls................................

Dustyhaze75
                  Last edited by Dustyhaze75; 10-29-2007, 09:47 AM.
                  Syncro250DX Tigrunner
                  Victor set
                  Elite auto-helmet
                  Dewalt Bench grinder
                  Mastercraft miter saw
                  Mac air tools
                  Mac hand tools
                  Toothbrush
                  pencil
                  toilet paper

Comment

Chitty chitty bang bang.Chitty chitty bang bang.

The Engine I think may be toast. The ignition exciter coil is missing and the mounts under the fly wheel for this coil have been broken off. Some smart guy must have figured he cold use these "pillars" to lever against to remove the flywheel or the timing belt crankshaft gear.

Anyway, Ive found an engine adn with some luck , perseverance, and skill, I shold be able to rebuild one from the two. easy peasy....riiiiiight.......truge forth younger fisher, for the salmon await their demise as causeds by your ever grumbling stomach...

I sepnt the week end sealing all the holes in the deck, hull, and superstructure. I added a splashguard to the engine well and im going to be adding a piece of aluminum to the console so that I can raise the height by 8 or so inches. That will make it more comfportable to drive while standing..

Its agood thing that were coming up on winter. If it were spring and I was tryin gto do this rework, I'd be running around like a chicken without its head in an attempt to make this happen sooner than later..

I'll go get som epics of what Ive done, But in the meantime, can someone offer their critique of whats going on in the weld pic ive posted below?
                    notice how th right side looks like dimes bu tthe left doesnt...w.t.h am I doing wrong....?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by SignWave; 10-29-2007, 12:41 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
                    Syncro200
                    Spectrum 625
                    O/A
                    Standard modern lathe
                    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                    Roland XC540 PRO III
                    54" laminator
                    little dog

Comment

say cheese.... oops i mean aluminum!!!

some b4naftr mugs. not a whole lot but progress none the less.
                      Attached Files

Miller 251/30A spool
                      Syncro200
                      Spectrum 625
                      O/A
                      Standard modern lathe
                      horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                      Roland XC540 PRO III
                      54" laminator
                      little dog

Comment

this is what happens when you let a crazy man loose...

hehehehehehehe... Is it safe? Is it SAFE?!
                        Attached Files

Miller 251/30A spool
                        Syncro200
                        Spectrum 625
                        O/A
                        Standard modern lathe
                        horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                        Roland XC540 PRO III
                        54" laminator
                        little dog

Comment

just a few more...

Anybody know how to remove that black urethane adhesive? that stuff is a real pain the the a s s ... heres a few more pics.. Ill have to get one of the engine... just so you can see what i mean about "professional mechanicism".

Ever heard the sayings: " you dont need it", "it'll be fine." , "whats that for? oh well... seems to be okay." uhg.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by SignWave; 10-29-2007, 12:58 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
                          Syncro200
                          Spectrum 625
                          O/A
                          Standard modern lathe
                          horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                          Roland XC540 PRO III
                          54" laminator
                          little dog

Comment

aluminum welds input

If anyone woul dlike to critique my weldments, Your constructive input is greatly appreciated.

thanks Rich.

Miller 251/30A spool
                            Syncro200
                            Spectrum 625
                            O/A
                            Standard modern lathe
                            horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                            Roland XC540 PRO III
                            54" laminator
                            little dog

Comment

boat.........

Wow you've been busy. you got alot more done than I expected. to remove the urethane adhesive use a chemical gasket remover. this stuff is amazing. We used to use it on the new tracks that came from the factory, with the 1/2 " of paint on the side that the pads are supposed to go on. spray it on and leave it for a while, you'll notice rait away it starts to bubble. after a few min. the paint will wipe rait off clean. the longer you leave it work the easier the paint will come off. the metal looks like its hard to get clean with all the deep gouges. are you able to get all the contaminants out of the metal before welding? this could be the problem with your bead. Ya .........you should be able to weld that no problem. it would be best to pre heat before welding. Large aircraft engine repair shops pre-heat cracked and broken cast-aluminum cylinder heads at 350 F until it's evenly heated,before welding takes place. glad to hear you found anouther engine.
                              it should take you no time at all, the rate your going eh? you don't piss around do ya? lol. she's lookin good. get er done ! get er done! hopefully you can get a decent engine out of the two. could be strait forward or could be a complete nightmare. good luck and don't give up. be smarter than the metal !
                              Syncro250DX Tigrunner
                              Victor set
                              Elite auto-helmet
                              Dewalt Bench grinder
                              Mastercraft miter saw
                              Mac air tools
                              Mac hand tools
                              Toothbrush
                              pencil
                              toilet paper

Comment

ah yes good old methelyne chloride. I'll give it a shot. Grinding , sanding, scraping is fruitless. that urethane rubber crap either smears, jiggles , or slides under the implement.

That trim on the bow is coming off. I need to take the engine off too so that I can repair the transom. Im quite sure the stiffener ( a 2x6)in the transom is rotted out and needs to be looked at. All those holes need to be addressed as well. So i have to make an engine stand now.. Uhg.

Im going to have to flip the boat over too. I want to have a real good look at the hull, maybe paint it with some antifouling paint. Just a thought.

I almost had a fire going in the bow cabinet... Well i did have fire. When i was sealing all the hole topside at the point, the heat caused the urethane foam in the bow to catch fire.. I had to hose it out. That stuff stinks...oops..

Miller 251/30A spool
                                Syncro200
                                Spectrum 625
                                O/A
                                Standard modern lathe
                                horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                                Roland XC540 PRO III
                                54" laminator
                                little dog

Comment

Working...
                                X