X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garybdavis
    started a topic Roller Stand Project for Ellis Bandsaw

Roller Stand Project for Ellis Bandsaw

I'm finally getting around to building roller tables for my Ellis 1800. I ordered 1.9" x 18" rollers from Surplas Center. My left side stand will be 14' with rollers on 12" centers. The right side will be 8' long also with rollers on 12" centers.

The wall my saw sits against is about 36 feet long, so I have plenty of room on both sides of the saw. I plan to bolt the roller tables down to the floor along with the saw. One thing I plan to do is build a frame underneath the saw to raise it up 8" to a more comfortable working height. I've been using the saw set up on blocks to get used to the higher working height and I like it much better.

I also plan to buy the measuring tape that you peel and stick onto the roller frame to help measure for cuts. That and I will integrate an adjustable stop into the frame for repeating cuts. Perhaps I can figure out a way to reuse the stop the saw comes with.

I'm looking for feedback on things to do/not to do from those who have built similar tables, so any comments are welcomed.

Thanks

• garybdavis
    replied
    Nope, no way to adjust the height of the rollers, if that's what you are asking.

I laid out the I-beams on jackstands with screw adjustable tops that allow me to get things perfectly level before welding it up. So, the base is pretty straight and level and I didn't have to make any adjustment to the height of the rollers to get them also straight and level.

The shop floor isn't perfectly straight and level, but the I-beams even out most of that. If I were to build the same setup without the I-beams, I would bolt the stands down to the concrete with allthread to allow for some fine-tunning in height adjustment.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Gary I’ve been meaning to ask you for a couple days now but keep forgetting, (byproduct of old age)!
    Did you incorporate any vertical adjustment in your rollers? I didn’t see any, just wondering what you had in mind?

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Great setup

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    WOW! Gary that’s an extraordinary job!

Leave a comment:

• garybdavis
    replied
    Here is a close up of the skid with a "ski tip" on the end and some other photos. This should help if I ever need to pull it onto a trailer or drag it outside.

The overhead chain hoist was a back saver while putting this thing together.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• garybdavis
    replied
    I used some time off over the holidays to get most of the work done on the roller stand. The complete stand is 25' long with 8" I-beam skids for the base which makes the saw working hieght 36". The idea with the I-beam skids is to have the unit portable if I need to move it.

I have 14' 6" from the blade to the left most roller and 12' 6" to the right. Where the saw sits right now, I can place a 24' piece of steel on the left side rollers and move it far enough to the right to cut it in half. Even with only 14' of rollers supporting a 24' piece, it works pretty good. It took some advanced planning to make sure the rollers lined up with the saw table, but it worked on the first try.

I still need to make a stop block to fit in the unistrut, bolt down the saw and paint it, but other than that, its pretty well finished. I'll order the sticky back measuring tape for both sides but won't put it on until I get it painted. Still haven't figured out what color will go with the Ellis green paint.

I think I'll use it for a few weeks to see if I want to make any changes like add a tray to lay a tape measure and pencil on, etc.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Carroll View Post
    (I'm 270 with 14.5" forearms)
    Remind me to call you sir!

Leave a comment:

• Eric Carroll
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Green!

Call Ellis, I’ll bet they’ll send you a pint! They are the nicest people to deal with!
    The Ellis guys arent always friendly on the phone. I had two 1600's(one month old) and one was cutting in on the down stroke a little and I called them about it. The guy on the phone told me the blade wasnt tight enough. I told him it was as tight as anyone could do(I'm 270 with 14.5" forearms) without a cheater on the handle. After a bit of checking with machinist squares we found the assembly that holds the front guide bearing was out square with the frame. About .040 of shims fixed it right up. It has cut square for 5 years now.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Originally posted by garybdavis View Post
    What do you call that color anyway?
    Green!

Call Ellis, I’ll bet they’ll send you a pint! They are the nicest people to deal with!

Leave a comment:

• garybdavis
    replied
    I've got to cut the bolt down plates off the rear legs of the Ellis saw and weld on some that face the sides. Anyone have a source for that funky paint they use? That's the biggest issue I have left - deciding what color to paint my roller table. Nothing seems to go with the Ellis paint color. What do you call that color anyway?

Leave a comment:

• m.k.swelding
    replied
    I use to work at A machining shop and at the band saw we had 20 feet of rollers they were all home made put togather with pipe and bearngs

Leave a comment:

• Daniel
    replied
    You guys might want to put an angle iron for a way to line up your material on a 90 degree to your bandsaw. Something to push on before rolling it in your saw.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Originally posted by garybdavis View Post
    I plan to leave a gap between the roller stand and the saw
    Oh yeah take the easy route!
    The part I don’t like about mine is the notch, (red arrow). The other part is the flatbar radius kill bar, (purple arrow) I thought about cutting it the width of the square tube I used for the table so I could move the table over and utilize more of my 12 inch rollers. But with almost 3 years of use it hasn’t been an issue yet. As you can tell I never was happy with my design or I would have painted it! When needed I have 6 or 8 portable roller jack stands I use on either side of the saw as needed?

Leave a comment:

• garybdavis
    replied
    Jesus,

Thanks for the pics. I plan to leave a gap between the roller stand and the saw, at least on the left side, to give me reach in room for the swivel adjustment and to operate the hydraulic up/down control. I'm still undecided about leaving a gap on the right side or bringing the table all the way up to the saw table. Is that the issues you have?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X