No announcement yet.

Question for old timers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For low amps like that at arms length an 8 works for me. As I gdet older am not so fussy about a clean hood either, that doesnt help. Add a little dirt to a 10 and its even worse.

Comment

I have trouble with the welds looking dark also but still run a 10 shade on tig & stick. Yes I do run 1.75 cheaters in both my hoods. When I started welding 11 years ago had great vision really started noticing a difference in the last year or so. By the way I'm not even 30

Comment

i have never tigged or used a mig stick only i have had my eyes burnt seven times in my life mostly from working shutdowns at night i remember each one like it was yesterday i was prescribed glasses last year use to wear cheaters to many pairs to keep up with i run a #11 in my hood now my eyes are so light sensitive now also a 150 cheater in my hood just to see what is going on getting old stinks more than that all you young guys that think your 10 foot tall and bullet proof been there done it i now know what the meaning of you only have two of them means take care of your eyes you only have two.

Comment

I use a #13 anything less and my eyes start watering after a while, I think they are sensitive LOL but I am only 30 I am sure that will change in a few years.
          sigpichttp://www.sharpsiron.com

Comment

As Wacko said, the gold lenses scratch very easily but after I switched to them, I can't stand a regular lens. I'm 29, started with a shade 10 at 12 or 13 years old but I run a shade 9 now.
            owner of EVOLUTION WELDING

Comment

Welp, my Metalfibre is a 10 and my BWE is set on 10 w/the help of Kroger half glasses, for mig or tig.
              BTW, the 11 of this mo. I turned 70.
              Good luck
              L*S

Comment

I use 1.75 cheaters and a #11 shade. Have another helmet with #12 for medium work and a #14 for the serious stuff in my box. This way I see no spots after welding. Else ways I shine the 500w halogen on the place to weld. No problem then at all. Yep just close your eyes after welding and if you see spots you need a darker shade for sure. I be willing to bet you all using 8,9, or 10 shades are probably brown eyed. Blue eyed people tend to need a darker hade.
                Last edited by Steve; 10-17-2007, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I use 1.75 cheaters and a #11 shade. Have another helmet with #12 for medium work and a #14 for the serious stuff in my box. This way I see no spots after welding. Else ways I shine the 500w halogen on the place to weld. No problem then at all. Yep just close your eyes after welding and if you see spots you need a darker shade for sure. I be willing to bet you all using 8,9, or 10 shades are probably brown eyed. Blue eyed people tend to need a darker hade.
                  Green eyes
                  Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
                  Hobart Handler 187
                  Dewalt Chop Saw
                  4" Air Grinder
                  Die Grinder
                  Rigid Drill Press
                  Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

I use an 11/12 for solid wire mig......12 for stick and 13 for dual shield(would use a 14/15 if I had it. I am 30 now. Sometimes when doing tig stianless I may go to a 10. Dave

Comment

I am a retired truck driver not a weldor, turned 70 this past June. I have also noticed I can't see as good as I use too.
                      I have been practicing welding about 30 years and have to use a #9 shade to be able to see the puddle with reading glasses I wear bi-focals full time.
                      The eyes do get weaker with age.

Comment

Working...
                      X