Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sberry
    replied
    I spent the last 20 yrs getting tools ready,,,, still dont have a job,,,, hahaha,,,

Leave a comment:

• Steele
    replied
    Interesting thread here.

Here's another "not from God's word" quote:

-Have your tools ready, God will find you the work.

Don't know who said it, but it's been helpful to me.

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
    Looks like a good weeks worth!!
    EeeeeYaaaaaaaa Baby!!!! more like two but still respectable....

Leave a comment:

• PLWeld
    replied
    Wow!!!

Thanks for all the awesome replies out there! I like the advice about finding a specialty area and going with that, which we are in the process of going in that direction. We just put two new adds out that focus around customizing of trailers/vehicles, that's kinda our niche (what we like to do). We just finished doing a custom removable winch mount for a car hauling trailer. The guy was speechless when he saw the finished product. I love that feeling!!

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by SignWave View Post

have a look at this... let this too be inspiration to you... and Caronine and Seth... the spoils of war....

Looks like a good weeks worth!!

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    My head is in the clouds today... For good reason...

PL, more good advice, Work like a dog, but take time to relax, exercise when you can. Stay away from booze and smokes if you do those things. and actively seek out those opportuniteis when your out in the world. If you go to see a client, abosrb all you can from his(her) establishment. I get tons of work just by pointing out stuff that my client needs. BUT when you bring it up- do it in a positive way.. Say so &so, I noticed that your railings were in pretty good shape but there is a spot where they could use some reinforcing... jsut an example. if they are in a high crime area and dont have security bars on the widows, try to sell a set of custom mades...
    I runa sign sahop so Im always looking for advertizing opportunities to present to my clients. my avg is about 69%. for every 10 questions I ask, I'll get 7 or so posotive replies or replies tha tcould be worth persuing..
    Remember , make them feel good abou tthemselves, their business and the money they spend...

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental

attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth

can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson

have a look at this... let this too be inspiration to you... and Caronine and Seth... the spoils of war....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SignWave; 10-19-2007, 05:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    Im with you Berry,
    I thinking about cutting my services in half. Im running aound like a chicken without a head and its driving me nutz! So specializing is starting to sound REALLY shweet!

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    You should find something you can specialize in and drive the marketing and advertising with that. I see adds in the yellow pages, some good, some bad. One good one was for stainless and another poor one included everything under the sun, wasn't sure if the pressure piping was the sideline or the handrail work. The marketing should be geared toward the specialty, you can always fix a handrail should it come along but don't put effort in selling it unless its your area of expertise. "I do nuclear pipe work but also auto body patch panels" Might be true but it leaves some questions in ones mind and thats where the battle with the competition and customers comes into play.

Leave a comment:

• HMW
    replied
    "If they say "I would do it myself, but I just don't have the time" just walk away. They will be more headache to you than they are worth."

Man, isn't that the truth. Same thing with equipment repairs. I always laugh when they say that or how about. "It should only take you a few minutes to weld it" Shouldn't cost that much. Gas shouldn't cost that much either but it does. Thats why I never let anybody wait for a repair anymore. If you repair something in 30 mins and charge them $50 labor, they flip out. But, If they don't know how long it took, seems to be no problem. Some jobs you can get more for depending on what its worth. I once welded aluminum coil mounts on a kohler engine that the ring gear wiped out. Charged the guy $150. My friend was with me and said that only took you a half hour. I said yeah, but a new short block cost $800 and noone else would fix it. Customer was tickled to death. Still running. I try to never work by the hour, only use it as a rough guide.

Jollyroger, I see you were in the Army, did you retire from there? I was in the Marines [early 80s] but got out after 4 years.
    Last edited by HMW; 10-19-2007, 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Jolly Roger
    replied
    Wow, I went in the army to get away from welding, lol. I would have stayed too, but got hurt and uncle doesn't want anyone who can't fire an m-16, lol. Advertising helps, but the best is word of mouth. Satisfied customers tell everyone they know about you. I actually get most of my work that way. I do a lot of heavy equipment repair and when these guys find someone that fixes it and it stays fixed they tell everyone. One out here tells everyone he can that I am too high, but that is because I won't do any more work for him til he pays me the 5000 he already owes me. I am just one of many. Most of them don't care just because it all stays together. I warranty all my welds for one year, but it has to be done my way. If it breaks I will fix it free. I could warranty it for longer but this stuff is seriously abused. I have had one warranty repair in the last 10 years.

Most of them around here do such sorry work that they are giving me their business.

If they say "I would do it myself, but I just don't have the time" just walk away. They will be more headache to you than they are worth.

Leave a comment:

• HMW
    replied
    Wow, this one hit all kinda subjects, new business, God and old airplanes. I like em all so. its all good.

The 3 large bombers in WW2 were the B-17 flyin fortress[US], B-24 Liberator[US] and the Lancaster[British]. All pretty tough. By the way my favorite WW2 plane is the F4U1 Corsair. Always big arguments but the Corsair was just as fast as the Mustang but could carry more weight. Had like 1000hp more to I think. It was also the longest serving piston engine fighter plane in US service. The Mustang wasn't much till they put the Britsh Merlin engine in it. The Allison was good but they were afraid to put in in service with the exhaust driven Turbo, so it lacked performance. But, the Mustang is beautiful. Just my 2 cents worth

Oh...God bless you all too
    Last edited by HMW; 10-14-2007, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• I Bleed Blue
    replied
    Well I'm sorry about that. Before I forund JESUS I had everything I needed or so I thought untill I walked into a little church and saw these people who had nothing and yet they had a joy and a happiness I didn't have that when I realized that I had found what I was missing. I figured out then that HE had to let me run myself out so I couldn't say I DID THIS! I have to give HIM ALL the Glory.

Gotta run 7pm is gong to come early GOD Bless!

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    Yo Blue,
    Im not touching that one. The way you worded it has confused my little mind... and im really not sure what to say..

So God bless you too.

Leave a comment:

• I Bleed Blue
    replied
    Don't want to start a........

I don't want to start a argument, But GODS word says GOD help those who can't help themselves. If you can do something under your power and without GOD (not saying you were denying GOD Sign) why would you need HIM.

GOD Loves welders! Don't believe me just read about the first weldors in the Old Testament.

GOD Bless

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    back on subject... No prob on the thoughts, again, sounds like you'll do just fine...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X