X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Cast Iron?

Can cast iron be welded with inconel?

Thanks, Justin

I think you have to stickweld cast iron. what type of rod to use is beyond me... Im sure some of the other guys here are better suited to answer this one but good luck .
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

Originally posted by justinp61 View Post
      Can cast iron be welded with inconel?

Thanks, Justin
      Justin,
      short answer is NO,

Best method is torch welding with cast iron rod and flux, but it takes practice and careful work.

If you want to scab it together and integrity isnt a concern, they make stick rods for the puropse.

-Aaron
      "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
      Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
      Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Cast Iron can and is welded using Inconel. The latest copy of the AWS Welding Journal has a "Letters To The Editor" that covers this.

October 2007 issue
        page 20

Note that this article does deal with welding dissimilar metals (ie, cast iron to stainless). I suggest that Inconel, being a nickle based metal, is used for roughly the same reasons as Ni-Rod when welding cast iron. The proper Inconel (brand name) electrode or filler wire will need to be identified.

I often tig weld cast iron using a ni-rod filler. This makes a good looking weld and can be used with the cold weld technique or the preheat technique.

Comment

Thanks guys, I have the inconel (stick) rods but no nickel rods. My thinking was that since the inconel was nickel based it might work. I have a cultapacker that has cast ends and one is busted. Should I preheat it and let cool slowly after it's welded?

Comment

All of the processes can be used for welding cast iron. I have a lot of experience welding cast iron and to the best of my recollection all of the sticks are nickel based. Core-cast 8600 mig wire is excellent, but not cheap (about $400.00 for 12 pounds). Nickel based rods are used for joining dissimilar metals. The nickel is used to help lessen cracking while cooling. It must be absolutely clean, as in grind all the rust, scale, paint, etc. off. Flash it with a torch to get rid of the carbon smear and then preheat it. I usually go to where I am just beginning to see cherry red spots then shut the torch off and weld it. Then post heat it and let it cool on it's own. I just used this technique on some cast iron posts that are between 100 and 125 years old. It worked great. Cast iron is funny stuff and what works one time won't work the next time. Brazing is always a good bet, but I have seen cast it wouldn't stick to, and I have used brazing alloys with 110,000 psi tensile strength. We charged for it by the rod, was very expensive. Personally I don't like NiRod, there are newer and better things out there. Some require no preheat or post heat if properly peened. An air needle scaler works great for this. If you have them it won't hurt to try it. We had inconel in one shop I worked in, but we never used it on cast iron.
            Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
            Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
            Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
            ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
            1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
            Arcair gouger
            Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Comment

If you're welding cast iron you can preheat or use the cold weld technique.

Cold welding is making a weld bead approximately one inch long. Stress relieve by lightly tapping the weld surface with a hammer. I don't suggest punching holes in a perfectly good bead with a chipping hammer. Weld another one inch long bead somewhere else on the crack. Lightly tapping this weld to stress relieve. and repeat. Never make more than one weld in an area until previous welds are cold to the touch. This cold welding technique works well on thin section pieces and heavy sections where it may injure something attached to welded part.

Even though the question that was posted asked about using Inconel brand electrodes, there are cast iron welding electrodes made of mild steel, others of approximately a 50%/50% mixture of mild steel and nickel and even others made of approximately 99% nickel. Surely, there are many different types and brands on the market.

Comment

Working...
              X