No announcement yet.

Finding High Paying Job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW, am I ever embarrassed by what I, and other guys here in town get paid. I might have to hug my boss when I go into work in the morning.

Thanks guys, for making my night.

Later,
    Jason
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

huggin for more money or huggin cuz your getting a fair shake... Hmmm interesting
      Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
      Syncro200
      Spectrum 625
      O/A
      Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
      Standard modern lathe
      Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
      horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
      Roland XC540 PRO III
      54" laminator
      hammer and screwdriver (most used)
      little dog
      pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

Originally posted by SignWave View Post
        Caronine,
        ther eis a saying I like to think about alot as I make my rounds an d look for stuff, people, ideas and income.

it was written to reflect a certain country in the world that I may or may not live in, but I;m very siure that with a subtle change it would suffice to get the point acrtoss to you that its out there.

that saying is: "All of the country is gold, you merely have to find it."

knock on doors, keep your eyes open for stuff that needs doing or repairing. When you find it, talk to the people, have a smile on your face, be VERY positive ( "yeah I can do that for ya, No Problem!"), neat ad tidy and if you must be in your blueshirts, dont be covered in the last job you did. What ends up happening with time and patience AND determination is that people will come to know you and come looking for you. I guarantee it.

I started my gig a few years ago. I was hounded by the yellowpages to get an add. Oaky so I spent a fe thousand dollars and I got a handfull of clients.
        I spent two hours of my time putting together 5 dollar 12x24 inch signs, nailed them to telephone poles and I got clients that have given me Thousands of dollars. You have to get out there and keep your eyes open. Its REALLY easy.

And if you dont know how to do something, Fake it. NEVER EVER let the guy your talking to about a job you ddont think you can do sence that your not confident. You can says yes all you want while meeting with someone and then find the answer on your own time and make his job happen - within reason. Dont build a golden gate bridge when you know you cant. If for some reason you cannot do his job, find someone who can and if your smart you can still make some money.

I had two calls today, from people Ive never ever met. I dont have a phone book add, I dont advertise at all in fact. I just get jobs. They come from nowher and its the most satisfying feeling ive ever had (when it comes to work) My work has gone as far north as ALaska and South to Mexico. Ive never been to either palce but my work has... How abou tthe eh? sigh...

I hope you can take from this the secret. I hope you will be inspired and find that gold that is right in front of your face and mine and everybodies for that fact. If you ladn one good contract, you feel so good, you'll never ever want to work for someone else again. if fact, dont turn down that pitiful little job, It might be worth $50K some day....

Good Luck
        Rich
        Rich you are sooo right. I do not weld for a living. I sell motorcycle helmets. My supplier, who lives down the street, gave me a condensed version of your suggestions. Don't go big. Advertising, most of it is "Crap". The best advertising is good customer service. Nope it doesn't happen overnight. But if your husband is as good as you say, things will come together quickly. He'll be so busy, there won't be time to pay attention. That's the beauty of ownnig your own business. If you must start with someone else and do it on the side, by all means do it. Eventually, you can thank your employer and give a fair two weeks notice. NEVER burn a bridge. Diplomacy is the key to success.

Adrian

Comment

good jobs

Out here on the west coast there are many prevailing wage job wanting AWS certified structural D1.1 or D1.5 welders. California prevailing is about 34.00 plus benefits for carpenter welders and a few bucks more for Ironworkers. However the Carpenters have a huge amount more O.T. which offsets the few bucks hourly. Oregon and Washington is a few bucks less but living costs are hugely less than California. . .The benefits package for Ironworkers and carpenter/pilebuck welders is about 12.00 to 14.00 hourly which includes dues, vacation pay, medical, dental , vision and retirement. . .I just put in for my pension and it beats the H*** out of SS. Travel folks. . We need you here. .

Comment

Originally posted by MHS548 View Post
            NEVER burn a bridge. Diplomacy is the key to success.

Adrian
            Oops, I just gave him the finger and said thanks for nothing... I busted my nut for this guy, made him 70/hr and getting paid 18/hr. I found that out by just talking to the client. He provided me with the info that made me say enough is enough. But your right, dont burn the bridge if you can avoid it. Im just a special case....

And Ironically enough hehehehe, I run a sign shop/electrical biz so advertizing comes cheap for me.

Another favorite saying of mine for the client or boss you just cant live with anymore.... Hahahahaha!!!!

" I dont know how I ever could have made it along without you, but startin' tomorrow, I GONNA FIND OUT!"

Miller 251/30A spool
            Syncro200
            Spectrum 625
            O/A
            Standard modern lathe
            horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
            Roland XC540 PRO III
            54" laminator
            little dog

Comment

I agree with all the positive inspiration giving here...But....Unless you have a big bag of money don't go out and buy a new welding rig and think you'll make a $100 an hour right off. Maybe if your lucky you will, but odds are you wont. Thats why I suggested get a job for someone else for awhile while you are building your business. Then go to work for yourself. I don't mean to sound negative but rather realistic. I do agree with everyone, you'll make the most [hopefully] working for yourself, not to mention the satisfaction you'll get. I work for a utillity company as a shop foreman [been a mechanic/technician 25+ yrs] and I have a small welding business on the side that I enjoy very much and make some money[mostly used to but more new toys] I still make more money, benefits, 4 weeks vacation, etc than my friends who are successful Welders, HVAC,Electricians and plumbers do. While I will not get wealthy working here, I am paid well and have made a great living. The difference between working for yourself and someone else is oppurtunity to advance your income. Working for yourself you have that chance. I guess in short what I'm saying is nothing wrong with working for a good company either, so don't rule it out. Lots of people make a good living in oil fields, ship yards, power plants etc. Sorry for the rant, just trying to give you some things to think about. Good luck to you in whatever you guys find

Blackwolf, I'm gonna hug my boss too Thats why I still work here
              Last edited by HMW; 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM.
              Scott
              HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

HMW, Well said. Dave
                If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
                Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
                  WOW, am I ever embarrassed by what I, and other guys here in town get paid. I might have to hug my boss when I go into work in the morning.

Thanks guys, for making my night.

Later,
                  Jason
                  So is it worth going to Canada? We are young and really free to go anywhere for a few years before the kids come. He is willing to work as had as he has to! Which city do yall suggest? What kind of jobs are up there?

Comment

Here in springfield, mo the cost of living is alot lower than most other places and the bio-pharm industry seems to be 90 o nothing at the moment. Pay is anywhere from $12 to $25 an hour, road work or shop. Paul mueller company is still hiring like mad, I work there at the moment at $21.62/hr and the benefits are not to bad. There is also stainless technology, SFI=Stainless Fabrication Inc, CSI = Central States Industrial, custom metalcraft, and a few others and they are all hiring at the moment.

Comment

Which way did he go ?

Unemployment in Vancouver BC is at 4% and everyone here is screaming for qualified people. If you dont mind the fact that 54% of your earnings will go to the bloodsucking, lowdown goverment, do nothing scumbags who pretend to run things from a beach in Hawaii while getting caugth driving DUI... You'll do A-okay!!!
                      AS SignWave wanders away he can be heard asking the waiter if there is a table for one....

None the less, back to the "everything is gold" theory.

I went to a trade show today, Did some BS'ing, talked and mingled with folks that were their. Spent a gob of money on stuff I havent yet recieved. (get used to that...) but I made three new contacts. in three hours. Now those 3 companies will most likely call me in the future , but only under one condition. do you know what that condition is? I'll let you wriggle for a bit and see if you know.

HMW is right as well, If you dont have the equipment you could find some guy (or gal) to work for...But there are other ways. rent, lease, second hand, farming out, etc. The one bonus about working for someone when you have a "work for yourself" attitude it that you can bide your time learn his (the) biz and understand why and how things work. Then when your ready, *poof* you go out on your own. While your working forthe guy you can be gathering prospects on the side. hunting , searching, looking for "the gold". Just dont let the guy kjnow tha tthis is your ambition. As a business ownner i wouldnt hire you because i knw that you'll not be around long and it costs moeny to train new people.. UHG... and if the people you have selected are brain dead youve waisted that money. So "mums" the word...

work for your self and you'll never go back to chairs.. no wait thats not it.. sit on my fa... oh oh.. sorry.

work for yourself and you lll never want to work for anyone else!!!

Miller 251/30A spool
                      Syncro200
                      Spectrum 625
                      O/A
                      Standard modern lathe
                      horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                      Roland XC540 PRO III
                      54" laminator
                      little dog

Comment

For future reference.......

Think about why you don't want to work for someone else.

When you get big enough to grow - do NOT be that 'someone else'.

Comment

Originally posted by HMW
                          Blackwolf, I'm gonna hug my boss too Thats why I still work here
                          Atta boy Scott, share the Love.

Seriously now, I have been treated very well by the company I now work for. I already had a 3 week vacation to PEI planned before I made the change, I worked here for 2 weeks, and they paid me 40hrs/week for all 3 weeks I was gone. Colour Me Happy. They have adjusted my rate slightly for the Northern Alberta economy, and I'm getting more that the welders and the shop foreman in the Red Deer "Head Office" Branch, and the buzz is they are impressed enough with my work, I'm getting an increase so I'll stick around and not get tempted by the phone calls I get about every other week for more money. It is a very nice feeling to know that you can pack up your tools before noon, pack them across town, start at a new shop after lunch, and get a $3 or $4 raise in pay for changing jobs.

Forgive me if I sound like I'm bragging - not true. I WORK for it.....I have extremely high standards in my work, I am on call 24/7, I work minimum 10hrs/day, and I work in extreme conditions. Having said that - I am very fortunate to be working for this company, and they are treating me very well. It's not the highest paying job that I have acceess to, but with the "perks" I plan on calling it home for the near future at least. It's not like that at every shop that you go to up here. Some shops pay very well, some barely pay at all. Journeyman rate ranges in town from $28/hr to $38/hr without 'B' pressure ticket. Just depends on the shop, and the industry it caters to. Production & manufacturing jobs are low, custom fabrication, repairs and specialty projects like I do generally pay high. The cost of living is very high up here, and with all the uncertainty about what is going to happen in response to the Alberta Royalty Report, people are feeling the pressure.

My landlord, and also my former Production Manager at a previous shop, has since moved on to another shop himself, and was telling me last weekend that their top paid guy gets $37/hr " .....and he's not that good" Hmmmmm, wonder what he'd pay to get me back????

Yeah, I'm just going to shut up now, count my blessings, and hug my boss in the morning - Just 'Cause.

Later,
                          Jason

Oh, I almost forgot. A word of advice for the original poster and her husband:

Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.
                          Last edited by Black Wolf; 10-11-2007, 08:46 PM. Reason: Advice
                          Later,
                          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherDano View Post
                            For future reference.......

Think about why you don't want to work for someone else.

When you get big enough to grow - do NOT be that 'someone else'.
                            Already in the bag....When I need extra help I hire subcontractors. I pay these guys and gals very well for the work they perform for me and I make sure that at the end of the day they are aware of my appreciation for the help they have given me.

Here's a link to some info that I found elswhere on the Miller Web site. It may prove to be of use to you as you make your choices..http://www.millerwelds.com/education...rticle102.html
                            Last edited by SignWave; 10-11-2007, 11:59 PM. Reason: added stuff

Miller 251/30A spool
                            Syncro200
                            Spectrum 625
                            O/A
                            Standard modern lathe
                            horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                            Roland XC540 PRO III
                            54" laminator
                            little dog

Comment

Recomending someone go work for themselves when never working in the field before is a BAD idea. You need to get started first. and working for your self isn't always the best idea for most. Few are good workers AND good buisnessmen. I know plenty that have the work and spend just as much time trying to collect. and the other half of the time doing necessary paperwork. Good bosses don't make good field workers. Your own buisness will consume alot if not all of your time until your bring in the big money, and to each their own with where that # lies. Working for someone and side jobs are the easiest way to get started. And your skills will determine the amount of sidework you get. When you work for someone else you usually have a set schedule, when your on your own it never stops untill all the work is done or until this months bills are paid. It has its benefits for sure but it has its price too. Finding good guys to work for you is probablly one of the hardest things to do. About the only thing I can tell you for sure is, DONT COME TO MICHIGAN, if it wasn't already bad for the last few years, the govenor raised more taxes and implemented more anti job social plans. We are loosing about 1000 people per month, leaving to find jobs or lost their job. Somehow we have more tax income than ever in the history of michigan but we are in the biggest deficet we have ever been in and its growing. Infrastructure needs alot of repair and updating I just hope in the next 5 years something turns around for the good. Because that will make alot of jobs. Since the govenor's chasing them all away.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMMER
                                .....working for your self isn't always the best idea for most. Few are good workers AND good buisnessmen.
                                He speaketh the truth. I had my own business (trucking mind you) and I was very good at the working, but not so good at the wheeling & dealing. I don't have the gift for gab (in person ) and my personality does not let me "over sell" myself just to get work. I'm too honest. I learned my lesson the hard way (still paying for my mistakes) and the correct decision for me is to keep a regular & steady day job, and take in a little side work that I run through my company, just to make a little cash & keep it on the books. Nothing major, just touch ups and repairs on trucks & trailers for friends and associates that I use to truck with.

Your experience may be more positive, and I hope it is. Just realize that if you stick your neck out far enough, sooner or later someone will try to slip a rope around it.

Later,
                                Jason
                                Last edited by Black Wolf; 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
                                Later,
                                Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X