Gator Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gator Project

I affectionately named it the Rust Bucket for apparent reasons. It was cheap and the motor ran good. Tranny didn't work though. $2200 for a new tranny or $900 for a used one.

Was going to part it out and decided to take a look see inside the tranny. Broken part was $30 and I bought a new seal kit and sealant bringing the tranny repair to $90+ so I decided to work on the rusted out frame. From the picture I think you can see where someone welded a 2 inch angle iron frame around under the outside. If you stepped into it, it would bend right in between the steering wheel and seats. So, I have started cutting her up and have one cross member built and ready to go in next week when I get more time.

The JD frame was just a stamped piece of 3/16 inch plate and it's shot. I can catch some of the front piece and some of the back. I will have to attach the two ends back together as once I cut the yellow angle iron out of the middle it will be in two pieces. I don't have a lot in this so I am just going to start hacking the rust out and replacing things as best I can. It don't have to be perfect as it is just a farm vehicle.

I am open to suggestions also of course. If I had time I would just build a new tubular frame and use the running gear from this. Maybe next time.

Here I have pulled the tranny and started doing some cutting.

One cross member cut out.

Here you can see the first frame replacement someone did.
    Just because you have one, doesn't mean you have to act like one.

Miller 212
    Hobart 135
    Miller 375 X-treme
    Really antique Sears Arc N Spark
    O/A Torch Setup

HOLY CRAP! Did someone park that in the ocean for a few months? I have never seen one in that bad of condition.. Really looks like a fun project though.

Comment

that ant have as bad as you made it sound

Comment

For "next time", you might consider using the running gear and make something like a M274 Mule.

http://www.m274armymules.com

Comment

Originally posted by joshcarlegis55 View Post
          HOLY CRAP! Did someone park that in the ocean for a few months? I have never seen one in that bad of condition.. Really looks like a fun project though.
          That's funny but I have no idea how it got to this condition.

Miller 212
          Hobart 135
          Miller 375 X-treme
          O/A Torch Setup

Comment

Originally posted by m.k.swelding View Post
            that ant have as bad as you made it sound
            The pictures really don't do it justice. lol The only thing keeping it from collapsing right at the seat area is the two 4x4 boards I have stuffed up under the frame. Even the "new old frame" feels like a diving board...
            Last edited by purplewg; 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM.

Miller 212
            Hobart 135
            Miller 375 X-treme
            O/A Torch Setup

Comment

Originally posted by BSParts View Post
              For "next time", you might consider using the running gear and make something like a M274 Mule.

http://www.m274armymules.com
              I have seen those before. Strange beast and tough to use when it gets cold..lol

Miller 212
              Hobart 135
              Miller 375 X-treme
              O/A Torch Setup

Comment

Working...
              X