Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use hand-held shear to cut 10 gauge stainless?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Use hand-held shear to cut 10 gauge stainless?

    Don't have room in my garage for a 20 ton shear, so I'm looking into smaller (and slower) tools to do the job.

    I would like to cut some 10 gauge stainless steel sheet. I've seen a few hand-held shears that can do the job on mild steel.

    http://www.amazon.com/Makita-JS3200-...0765898&sr=1-5

    Does anyone have experience using one? Does the metal stay relatively flat, or does it curl up the edges like a taco?

    In the description of other shears I've seen it mentions a waste curl (about 1/5th inch), which I assume gets all the abuse and leaves the edge of the two remaining halves straight and true. Anyone used one of those?

    What's your opinion of shears vs. nibblers? Which one is easier to use to get a reasonably straight line and true edge?
    http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/1533A/

    Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences.
    Last edited by Samurai Dave; 09-25-2007, 06:41 PM. Reason: Wrong metal
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Coolmate 3

  • #2
    10 ga SS is going to be tough. We had a uni-shear nibbler that would do 3/16" mild steel with a nice edge, just a bunch of half moon clippings for the scrap. I have one for 16 ga that is air powered...Bob
    http://www.hechinger.com/hardware/to...hear-1508.html
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 09-25-2007, 06:53 PM.
    Bob Wright

    Comment


    • #3
      Unishear

      Hey Bob
      I appreciate the lead on the nibbler. Having a clean edge is great. Little bits of scrap are no problem.
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Coolmate 3

      Comment


      • #4
        use your plasma ... it will zip right through, use a board or a piece of flat bar to get a straight edge when you cut a straight line ... and when you need bends and turns.. just draw a line and cut it...
        Jim
        sigpicJim Young
        www.JimYo.com
        www.youtube.com/jimyo01

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd have to agree with JimYoung on this one, especially after seeing the prices on some of these shears and nibblers. You can go out and buy a decent plasma cutter for about the same price and have more versatility with it, not to mention the time savings with a plasma over the nibbler or shears. Dave
          If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

          sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
          Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

          Comment


          • #6
            Stainless is one hard material to cut with handheld shears. If you try cutting 10 ga you and the sheet of metal will probably end up bouncing up and down to the rhythm of the shears, only making a scratch in the surface.
            I would bet that if you try cutting the "max capacity" or beyond it's going to be a real pain but that's just my $0.02

            I would be interested to see how well that makita works though...

            Comment


            • #7
              i think i would go with a plasma cutter also after looking at the $$ on the nibblers. to get to 10gage in SS in a nibbler is about the same $$ as a plasma cutter.
              even with a nibbler you will likely need a strait edge to cut against to get a strait cut line. properly set and run at the right speed a good plasma cutter will leave very little clean up.
              i would tend to think running at the full rated capacity of the nibbler would eat up its blades fairly quickly. that could add up to some big $$ in its self. wile i don't have a $ 1,600.oo nibbler, i do have a small one and a plasma cutter. given my choice i will always go to the plasma cutter first. the nibbler gets dull and jams up an adjust rattles like all h-ll is breaking loose. plasma is fast clean easy to steer as needed and throw a 2X4 on there and you got a strait edge. you could make one out of steel if you are doing a lot of cutting.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

              Comment


              • #8
                Plasma will definitely cut it

                Originally posted by JimYoung View Post
                use your plasma ... it will zip right through, use a board or a piece of flat bar to get a straight edge when you cut a straight line ... and when you need bends and turns.. just draw a line and cut it...
                Jim
                Jim, you are right. A plasma cutter would be my choice as well, but I don't have one. Though it is on my Christmas list.

                I have used one in class and if it has a decent guide it can make some straight cuts.
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Coolmate 3

                Comment


                • #9
                  Another vote for plasma

                  Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
                  I'd have to agree with JimYoung on this one, especially after seeing the prices on some of these shears and nibblers. You can go out and buy a decent plasma cutter for about the same price and have more versatility with it, not to mention the time savings with a plasma over the nibbler or shears. Dave
                  Howdy Dave!
                  Indeed, the plasma will cut 10 gauge stainless and more. I'm trying to get a hand held shear for lighter gauge sheet metal, and was wondering just how big to go. As you say, the list price of these heavier-duty shears approaches that of a plasma. I was toying with the idea of picking up a used shear, but the risk of a DOA eBay item arriving in the mail is always a risk with use power tools.

                  I am leaning heavily toward saving my money on the shear and going straight to the plasma, per your advice.
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Coolmate 3

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Shears may not cut it

                    Originally posted by dabeldesign View Post
                    Stainless is one hard material to cut with handheld shears. If you try cutting 10 ga you and the sheet of metal will probably end up bouncing up and down to the rhythm of the shears, only making a scratch in the surface.
                    I would bet that if you try cutting the "max capacity" or beyond it's going to be a real pain but that's just my $0.02

                    I would be interested to see how well that makita works though...
                    It would be lame to have a shear that makes plenty of noise, but doesn't make the cut. 10 gauge stainless is one tough metal, and the plasma sounds like the way to go.
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Coolmate 3

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      10 gauge = plasma cutter

                      Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                      i think i would go with a plasma cutter also after looking at the $$ on the nibblers. to get to 10gage in SS in a nibbler is about the same $$ as a plasma cutter.
                      even with a nibbler you will likely need a strait edge to cut against to get a strait cut line. properly set and run at the right speed a good plasma cutter will leave very little clean up.
                      i would tend to think running at the full rated capacity of the nibbler would eat up its blades fairly quickly. that could add up to some big $$ in its self. wile i don't have a $ 1,600.oo nibbler, i do have a small one and a plasma cutter. given my choice i will always go to the plasma cutter first. the nibbler gets dull and jams up an adjust rattles like all h-ll is breaking loose. plasma is fast clean easy to steer as needed and throw a 2X4 on there and you got a strait edge. you could make one out of steel if you are doing a lot of cutting.
                      I do want to keep peace with my neighbors, and the plasma will make a much quieter cut than a nibbler or shear. The plasma cutter at school didn't exactly make the cleanest cut, but then again it may be used and abused. I'm assuming a properly maintained and equiped plasma cutter will leave a clean edge requiring minimal prep prior to welding.

                      Does a plasma cutter leave a decent edge on thin gauge metal (like 22 gauge), or do you think it is it better to get a hand-held shear?
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Coolmate 3

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X