• Show
Clear All

• John Stuckey
    replied
    Bessey WSM welder's 90 degree clamps

Leave a comment:

• On fire most of the time
    replied
    I buy the 6CR Visegrip, the 11sp, and the really big mama jama, 24sp. Expensive but worth it for the throat depth. I usually use the swivel pad version because the other style tends to crush square tube (just a bit) when you have it set hard enough to hold everything in place. Takes more time to metal finish stuff out and get it ready for powdercoating/painting.

Ive used their sheet metal pliers...and the welding pliers...but they arent worth the extra cost. I can buy 2 or 3 more 6R's or 8R's, and weld some steel plate to them for the same job. They dont look as pretty, but its a bunch cheaper.

I dont clamp really heavy duty stuff though...usually the most I work with is .120 wall.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    CevyMan, I have one of those clamps which which is a strong clamp but clumsey to use. I saw the price of my 24"er and about fell over.

I have found Bessy clamps to be the most versitil

Sanora showed us what are called beam clamps which are slow to use but by far the strongest.

The clamps I use the most are the bessy and 11R by vise grip.

I currently do not have any beam clamps.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    The Bessey and Wilton type clamps are great for what they do. But they don’t have the umf that these do.
    When splicing beams and the flanges don’t match you’ll destroy a Bessey trying to force the flanges together. We have gang boxes full of these!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• chevyman_de
    replied
    Gross-Stabil is now 100% Bessey, same product, same label. When you go to http://www.gross-stabil-tool.de, a Bessey website opens. They do no longer make any clamps with the Gross-Stabil logo.
    Bessey has a very large range of clamps, which makes comparing them to other makes a little bit difficult, because there is no "the Bessey clamp".
    Their catalog has about 95 pages of clamps.

The biggest advantage of the carver clamps (in my opinion) is the fact that it takes almost no effort to tighten them down. You can reach their clamping force with one hand, no need for additional wrenches or extensions to turn the spindle.
    The spindle is covered, well protected against weld spatter. And, just in case, you can get spare parts for them...

Leave a comment:

• Justin00Stang
    replied
    I've got a couple sets of these in various lengths

http://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-VIS1...342298&sr=8-13

keep in mind its overall length and not throat depth

works good for setting stuff up on my table

i have the ones with little pivoting feet, not the rounded points like the picture above

Leave a comment:

• WyoRoy
    replied
    Not in line with Bessey's Heavy Duty models, at least not for the clamp you linked to. That Gross-Stabil clamp has a nominal clamping pressure of 2800 while an 18"...sorry, no 20"...Bessey Heavy Duty model is rated at 4880 lbs. Gross-Stabil may indeed have a heavier duty model available that would go head to head with Bessey, but I would imagine they would also be priced similarly.

Leave a comment:

• crawler
    replied
    Originally posted by chevyman_de View Post
    Gross-Stabil is part of the Bessey group.
    So yes, they're ok.
    Steffen,

Thanks for the reply. Would you say the Gross-Stabil are as good as Bessey?

Thanks,
    Charles

Leave a comment:

• CarbedNotch
    replied

I saw these aluminum corner jigs and I know their not clamps but I four of want them!

Leave a comment:

• chevyman_de
    replied
    Gross-Stabil is part of the Bessey group.
    So yes, they're ok.

Leave a comment:

• crawler
    replied
    Anyone have any experience with Gross Stabil? They're German made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gross-Stabil-Hea...d=p3286.c0.m14

Leave a comment:

• chevyman_de
    replied
    They are very expensive. I didn't find a website with pricing. The big ones and the bar clamps cost several hundred $ each, the small ones will start in the high two-digit range. But every now and then a few used clamps in good condition can be found on ebay. That's how I started my collection, I've never bought one new.

Leave a comment:

• CarbedNotch
    replied
    Those Carver clamps are very nice! What do they cost?

Leave a comment:

• PlasmaGuy
    replied
    As the others have reported. Bessey clamps are 1st class along with Vise-Grips 11r & 6r locking C-clamps.

Wilton makes a good Bessey copy and the Chinese are knocking off the Bessey too.

I am always on the look out for Bessey's in my travels.

Good Luck!

Tom

Leave a comment:

• WyoRoy
    replied
    I keep meaning to give this eBay seller a try, but haven't so far. Looks like a good copy of a Wilton...which is a flimsier copy of the Bessey clamps. The price is right.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/buzzard-...sasiZ1QQ_sopZ1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X