Need info on Lincoln's School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on Lincoln's School

During the last couple of months, I have been researching how to make a career change from driving trucks to welding. I am very interested in the comprehensive program offered by Lincoln. One question I have though is will I be able to get into this program without any prior welding experience? I am going to order two of the books that the website recommends, so I can have a better understanding of welding. I realize that the books won't "teach" me to weld, but I am serious about needing to change careers and am willing to work hard to do so.

Also wondering if anyone on this board has attended Lincoln's school (or maybe even someone that works there)? and if so is there a waiting list since they only have 15 students to a class?

why go to lincoln. community colleges offer courses on welding. best way to learn is on a beam hanging off side with less dominant hand, about 100 degrees in shade.

Comment

Have you tried the Lincoln board???

Comment

Lincoln?

I don't think you'd have any problem getting into one of Lincoln's programs. The question is whether Lincoln is the best route to the training you'll need to make your career change.

I, too, live in northern CA. And, like you, I'm considering a career change. I have completed two classes at a local junior college -- Los Medanos in Pittsburg, CA -- and am now enrolled in a third class. (I took oxyacetylene welding as my introduction to welding, followed by a MIG class; I'm enrolled in my second MIG class now.) As someone else on this board recommended, you should take a look at classes offered at the junior colleges in your area. My experience at Los Medanos has been great. You cannot beat the cost: each of my courses was less than $45. The equipment available to me is new Miller machines; you can't get any better. And the instructor is first rate: 35+ in the welding industry, with 20+ experience as an instructor.

Wherever you seek training, don't overlook the value of instruction available from your classmates; all of whom will be helpful (if your experience is anything like mine) and many of whom will be far more experienced.

As far as Lincoln, I've considered taking one of its one-week courses. The cost was very reasonable, about $375. The real cost, however, is in travelling to Ohio and room accomodations. If you really want to attend Lincoln, you'll find that its staff is very helpful in locating reasonable accomodations.

Feel free to contact me if you think I can assist you. Good luck.

Comment

I've looked into the Licoln program and I would give it a big thumbs up! I've worked with some college welding programs and I ended up teaching myself and others there because the "instructors" didn't know as much as I did! Now this is not the case with all programs, but the lincoln school is very condensed, focused, and the instructors are top professionals in the field. You can take individual courses focusing on your preference (mig,tig...) or take them all and have nearly all of your certs in 15 weeks. If I could go to cleaveland for that long, I'd do it!

Comment

Mark80, could you please let us have the names of the two books recommended by Lincoln.
            Thank You, R W

Comment

I've looked into the Sierra College program and it seems to be a good program. With my situation though I would like to take a more condensed program. If it's possible I am aiming to start around the first of the year, when I will most likely be laid off anyway, so that I will not have to get back into another season of paving.

RW, the two books are Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding and
              New Lessons in Arc Welding. Both of them are sold on the Lincoln website.

Also, what is the website for the Lincoln message board?

Comment

Career change

I too was looking for a career change a few years back, and considered doing the Lincoln program. Fortunately one of my brother-in-laws has one of the old Calif. welding certs that is good for life. He recommended doing Community college classes and classes by my local welding shops.

I now view my metal work as a supplemental retirement income vs. a living wage.

Steve

Comment

Hobart has a welding school too. My brother went to Lincoln but I am not sure I would get locked on that idea either and mostly due to the living and travel cost.

Comment

The problem with Community College and Vo Tech schools is they are too generic. At Lincoln (and yes Hobart too) you can choose a ciriculum in a specific field that you choose to pursue. It dependson what you are looking for. If you want to just learn how to weld then com college or vo tech can help. If you want to learn strictly pipe welding or SAW or something specific I would definitely recommend the Lincoln (or again Hobart) school.
                    Rich Ferguson
                    Sales Technician
                    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
                    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
                    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Comment

All good information. Looking at a supplemental income as well. I understand it takes a lot of practice. Anyone located in south Florida and own a shop.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, after thinking it over and talking with some people around here, I am leaning towards taking the community college route. I want to be able to take my time and really be able to learn what is being taught to me. I have heard good things about the sierra college program.

Right now, I am not sure exactly what type of work I want to get into, and the community college will give me time to figure out which way I want to go. I am interested in possibly getting into something where I can make gates, trailers, or anything else someone is looking for. But the lure of the big money in pipeline work is also very tempting, even though it could be a long way to get to that point.

Comment

If you go the CC route, talk to the instructor about the course. I took a welding course at my local CC and the course description said O/A and MIG. The instructor was a auto mechanic who took this course a few years back. He only taught O/A because the MIG equpment was broken and the college wouldn't pay for repairs. So, I am good at O/A but I took the course primarily for MIG. I want to take the Lincoln course, just need some time off!
                          Hobart Handler 187 MIG

Comment

welding school

lincoln offers excellent training on all forms of welding. Hobart also offers great training I have been told.

Comment

Working...
                            X