Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fun4now
    replied
    Most wire hangers are coated with varnish. You find some in your closet that wasn't???? Wow...if you did, you're showing your age!!!
    no kidding.
    add to that the $ to buy them new now, if you can find them( some are zink coated). and you are better off buying TIG rod.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    nope, but maybe I will next time
    Man of Steel: Most wire hangers are coated with varnish. You find some in your closet that wasn't???? Wow...if you did, you're showing your age!!!

Leave a comment:

• jonnymag
    replied
    Originally posted by Bert View Post
    Just picked up the moped and it looks like mild steel. Probably will just mig it 'cause it's faster, and we have to swap out some parts on the front forks. Will take pics for you guys...Thanks Man of Steel, amazing the wire hangers passes x-ray
    Jonnymag, thanks so much again for those 308 ss rods!!!
    bert
    Since you were parked next to Manoa Cleaners, were you picking up some wire hangers from them too?

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Just picked up the moped and it looks like mild steel. Probably will just mig it 'cause it's faster, and we have to swap out some parts on the front forks. Will take pics for you guys...Thanks Man of Steel, amazing the wire hangers passes x-ray
    Jonnymag, thanks so much again for those 308 ss rods!!!
    bert

Leave a comment:

• man of steel
    replied
    re filler rod for moped muffler

figure out what type of metal you have first,If it is carbon or mild steel get some coat hangers(yes the metal ones) they work great and they are very strong,An old boiler maker showed me how to seal small holes in high pressure boiler tubes with this ,and the welds pass x ray to boot,try it out and if not let me know what type of rod u need i have all grades of ss and even carbon too, let me know how the coat hanger works

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    jonnymag,that would be wonderful. I'm going to Waikiki to watch the Thunderbirds and have dinner with my old boss. I'll pm you the details.
    bert

Leave a comment:

• jonnymag
    replied
    Bert,

Not sure how much or what size you need, but I have about 10 rods left of my 1-lb tube of 3/32 308L that I use for my art work. Call me if that's all you need and you wanna drive all the way into town to get 'em

Jon

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    i think i am going to TIG my quad front rack project just for the TIG time also. hard to pass the MIG some times as its just zap and done.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Fun, yes, I can mig it, but yes, I want to break my tig in thanks for the tip on twisting the wires together, I'll try that also
    Bob, SEND IT OVER!!!!! What size is it??? 2 lbs ok?

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    yep, MIG wire is ok. i used some MIG aluminum wire to TIG my welder cart.
    i twisted 2 strands together in a drill and vice to make a nice tight twist. that was a slower feed than just the one strand would have been. so keep that in as an option also to get larger filler out of thin MIG wire. too many wires in one twisted bundle may cause a problem but i was ok with 2 & 3 strands.
    why not just MIG it if you have the wire ?? no gas ? or just want to play with the TIG ?

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Sure you can Bert but it may melt a little quick. I can send you some bare SS rods. I bought some to make a bbq grill and my lws sells them by the lb so i can buy 1 or a 100...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    started a topic Little tig project

Little tig project

I have to tig some holes in my friend's son's muffler for his moped. I wanted to use ss rods, but gaspro only had 10lb boxes left. I didn't have the $140, so I went home Do you think I can use my .035 7018 mig wire as filler rod???? I'm pretty sure the muffler is reg steel and not stainless... Using 1/16"
    2% ceriated tungsten...
    thanks,
    bert
Working...
X