Clear All
  • Milton
    • Nov 2007

dammit , now you made me cry .

Comment

• 08Welder
      • Jun 2008

good job

People like you are what gives us hope in a world going in a bad direction.
      You make us all proud

Comment

• Laiky
        • Mar 2006

Thank You Dabar and Vicegrip

Took your advice today....

Living in the NYC area i am rarely motivated to stop and help anybody. I was in Jericho Long Island today so i figured it was OK.
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Millermatic 175
        Spectrum 375
        All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

• Burnt hands
          • Dec 2007

Good deeds - keep them alive

It is so refreshing and heartwarming to read dabar39's story about helping a little 6 year girl.

I was also blessed to be able to help a neighbor.

About 2 years ago an occupational therapist knocked on my door and asked if I might be able to help with a small design project.
          Turned out that my neighbor's baby girl, Ellie was in a cast and needed a more comfortable way to sit on her baby seat.
          I went over and when I looked at her, I had a hard time not crying. She was in a spica cast (you can look this up on the web).
          The neighbor who has 2 other children, wondered if I could cut and modify a plastic swing seat so Ellie would be more
          comfortable since the spica or hip cast made sitting very difficult.
          Her occupational therapist said that she could make any special clothing and add padding that might be needed to
          accomodate the modified seat assembly.

I told them that it would be easier for me to build a metal frame than to modify a plastic swing seat.

Ellie's needs are simple - all she needed was a seat to keep her upright for feeding and also playing with her toys.
          It would also be nice if the seat had wheels to move her around the house.

Through all of her operations and hospital visits, Ellie never cried or complained.

When I got home, I resolved to make a stable, easy to use chair with wheels which would make my neighbor's life a little easier.
          The hardest part was trying to weld with tears welling up in my eyes.

Took a vacation day so I could work out a design and brought a prototype over that evening for a rough fitting and to test the concept out.

Total time was about 30 hours of design and fabrication all told but the funny thing is that it seemed to me that I finished it the next day,

The frame is 3/8" stainless rod and the seat back and tray support pieces are made from polyethylene cutting boards.
          All metal parts are stainless as I wanted parts that could be wiped down with alcohol and was, if needed, dishwasher safe.
          Wheels are from a microwave cart and can be removed for cleaning.
          The tray and support table use velcro to allow for removal and adjustment.
          Also the tray support swings down to allow access for placing Ellie in and strapping her down.
          Since I can't even sew a button on a shirt, it was a blessing that the occupational therapist was able to make the cushions and padding for the seat assembly.
          She even made a seat belt to keep Ellie safe.
          My neighbor sent me a check but I have kept it locked away so as not to hurt her feelings.
          I told her that all I want is to see Ellie walk and play with her siblings and I also mentioned that Ellie's stroller comes with a lifetime guarantee and
          unlimited modifications at no charge.

Ellie will have a hard enough time and I am so glad that I was able to help in a small way.
          This was truly a labor of love for me.

Plus I got to weld !

Please keep up the good deeds !
          Attached Files
          Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

• krackle
            • Feb 2008

The world needs more people like you... I am sure you have some great luck coming your way.

And to think, I was ready to let you have it when I read the title of this thread...
            Read or submit reviews of Lincoln, Hobart and Miller Welders atThe Welder Shop.

Comment

• folmonty
              • Jul 2008

Solid guy

Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
              Thanks for the kind words from all of you, I'll tell you what, just watching that little girls face light up and the beaming glow that surrounded her face not only made my day but has got to be the highlight so far this year. Thanks for letting me share it with you, Dave
              Dave, I'm new around here but after reading this post I'm obviously in some very good company. Everyone else has said it well enough but my hats off to ya.

Comment

• J. Strunck
                • Nov 2007

Kind Act

You Sir, are good in my book..

John

Comment

• lanceman73
                  • May 2008

Good Dude!

Sweet of you! Now, I'll have to help someone. You gave me a welding bon'r.
                  Millermatic 210
                  Syncrowave 200
                  Spectrum 625 X-treme
                  Hobart Champion 16 W/
                  Miller 8VS Suitcase
                  Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                  Tons of Tools
                  Microwave
                  Laptop and Printer
                  Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

• dkochan
                    • Oct 2006

You are truly one of the great ones. Well done.

Dave

Comment

• jweller
                      • Jan 2008

Anything I say is gonna sound cheap or like a hallmark card, but what the heck. Thank goodness for people like you. If everyone took the time to do more things like this, the world wouldn't be such a mess
                      Millermatic 180 Auto Set

Comment

• mikesparks
                        • Feb 2008

geat job and it was a tear jerker
                        miller 330 abp
                        everlast 225lx
                        airco 250a tig
                        hobart handler 125 mig
                        o/a torches

Comment

• Stomper