X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by man of steel View Post
    hey monte did u do those in your propane forge?Did you buy it (the forge) or make it yourself?Id luv to get my hands on one just to try my hand at making some cool mideival armor and helmets.
    I purchased the forge from a guy used but in perfect shape about 6 years ago for $300. It's from Centaur Forge, thinks thats the name, and yes, it uses propane and propane accessoriesNew ones are $500-$600.
    I'm not sure but I think the model is something like Wisper Daddy. My catalogue is in the shop and I'm not now.
    Last edited by monte55; 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kiwi
    replied
    Originally posted by monte55 View Post
    Hey guys.........don't you know a girl when you see them?(the darker one)
    The shy white one is a boy that we rescued from Huntsville Alabama in October 2004,...700 miles away. Of course all you can see is his ears. Before I went to get my camera, all 3 were pressed against the gate which would have made a good pic. Why is it they do all their cute stuff when the camera is not in hand. I think they heard my wife tell me to get the camera and then I heard a bark which means "RUN". I'm not sure but can only assume.

The scrolls are 1/2" and so are the pickets.........

Yes, I made the rings which are 1/2 " also......I have a picket twister I made about 5 years ago and if I put a 3" mandrel on it with a catch dog, I can start a 20' piece of round or square and have it roll up like a coil spring, then cut off rings as I need them, close them in a vise and weld them.

The dogs are well behaved unless you bring them into the house but the play
    is still in the dogs. They should have a PLAY METER on them.
    Thanks for the looking.
    Nick or is it Monte? I saw Nick on your signature line. I like your gates, but I like your dogs more. My family is hooked on dogs. We have three Cairns and they are a part of our family. Can you post how your picket twister is able to make rings, and some photos? Nice work!
    Thanks,
    Nick

Leave a comment:

• man of steel
    replied
    monte

hey monte did u do those in your propane forge?Did you buy it (the forge) or make it yourself?Id luv to get my hands on one just to try my hand at making some cool mideival armor and helmets.

Leave a comment:

• Bareback Jack
    replied
    A Ranch Way is the thing that goes over the entrance to the ranch that has the name and brand of the ranch on it. Many are arched steel, but some people just use telephone polls. Here in Colorado many people use large cedar poles and they look good too. I have to do one for "South of the Border" and one for "Hill Top", both in TN.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by man of steel View Post
    hey monte nice work on your gates.its nice to seethe art of blacksmithing is still alive .many people would just buy the pieces premade and glue them togeather with the welder.(im guilty of this) especially on quoted jobs, not all clients want to pay the money for custom work.Did you hammer them out on an anvil?Nice dogs also. heres a pic of a gate i did for a customer last year.what kind of bender do you use?
    I heated the scrolls in a forge and shaped the tips on an anvil. Reheated them again and while red hot, pull them around a scroll jig.

Your gate is very nice

My bender is a Hossfeld copy I made but I don't make scrolls on it.
    If I had to do a lot, I'd probably order from Kings if they had what I wanted.
    The shipping can get a little high on some steel orders.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by weldone View Post
    You had me with the three chows
    They are beautiful..
    And the gate very nice, let me ask.. How much would you charge a customer for that.

Dave.
    Thanks
    I don't make scrolls very often so I'm not the quickest. I had these left over from another job. I had to cut them apart, shorten them and reweld. The horz channels are punched on my press. The top is a fancy mold steel cap.
    I didn't keep track of time but I think I would have to charge at least $300-
    $350 and more if I have to go out to measure and back to install. After all of that you'll have probably a day in it. If you can't make at least that in a day,
    why bother. It also depends on how busy you are. If you can do it when you're not busy, you could do it for less. Only you know what your time is worth. As the old saying goes "Don't let a dime hold up a dollar"

Leave a comment:

• odleo
    replied
    Monte- Nice lookng gate and dogs. Glad to see there are others out there that still care to house homeless animals.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Man of Steel,
    Now that is what I call a gate. Beautiful work. What adds to its beauty is the fact is matches the architecture around it. Do you remember how long it took to build it and what you charged for it, if you don't mind me asking.

I have saved a picture of it to my desk top to serve as an inspiration to me in my quest to learn how to weld.

Again Beautiful work

Leave a comment:

• man of steel
    replied
    hey monte nice work on your gates.its nice to seethe art of blacksmithing is still alive .many people would just buy the pieces premade and glue them togeather with the welder.(im guilty of this) especially on quoted jobs, not all clients want to pay the money for custom work.Did you hammer them out on an anvil?Nice dogs also. heres a pic of a gate i did for a customer last year.what kind of bender do you use?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dabar39
    replied
    Monte, beautiful looking kids you got there, look mighty happy and healthy. Glad to hear you took on the responsibility of rescuing these fine animals. Dave

Leave a comment:

• weldone
    replied
    Looks great

You had me with the three chows
    They are beautiful..
    And the gate very nice, let me ask.. How much would you charge a customer for that.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    OK .......I'll bite..........what is a ranch way?

Leave a comment:

• Bareback Jack
    replied
    Boy, I'd love to see your bending setup for those pieces. I have to make some ranch-ways this winter for some folks back in TN and I need some ideas on making the decorative pieces like that.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Our Chow Babies

Some other pictures of our Chows that ducked out when I tried to take pictures of the gate with our Chows peering through. The picture of the black dog is a picture of a picture because he chose to stay inside while I was taking pictures. We rescued him also in 2004 from a local Rescue; a few months prior to adopting the white Chow from Huntsville, Alabama. which we rescued in Oct, 2004.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by monte55; 09-09-2007, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Hey guys.........don't you know a girl when you see them?(the darker one)
    The shy white one is a boy that we rescued from Huntsville Alabama in October 2004,...700 miles away. Of course all you can see is his ears. Before I went to get my camera, all 3 were pressed against the gate which would have made a good pic. Why is it they do all their cute stuff when the camera is not in hand. I think they heard my wife tell me to get the camera and then I heard a bark which means "RUN". I'm not sure but can only assume.

The scrolls are 1/2" and so are the pickets.........

Yes, I made the rings which are 1/2 " also......I have a picket twister I made about 5 years ago and if I put a 3" mandrel on it with a catch dog, I can start a 20' piece of round or square and have it roll up like a coil spring, then cut off rings as I need them, close them in a vise and weld them.

The dogs are well behaved unless you bring them into the house but the play
    is still in the dogs. They should have a PLAY METER on them.
    Thanks for the looking.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X