X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrenchit
    replied
    Bandsaw

After a year or research, on the smaller bandsaws, I decided to go with a U.S. made Wellsaw Model 57. I got it off ebay for 350.00 with no motor. After adding an older bullitproof shopsmith motor, and a custom hyraulic downfeed, it has had very little attention other then new blades in the last 5 years. Parts are a phone call away in Michigan (always a live person). Lots of the chinese saws have gearbox issues (bone dry, full of shavings Etc.) and allignment problems (Hinge casted off center). Some are better then others, but its still a gamble on what you finally get out of the box. The yahoo 4x6bandsaw group has loads of info in the chinese saws. the Jet and Grizzly are on the high end, as harbor freight and northern tool on the low end. All come from the same factory, just painted different colors and different tollerances requested from the buyer. Its the same as always, you get what you pay for. I am not knocking the china saws, there are loads of happy people that have them. just expect to do some mods (rule # 1 throw the blade away and get a decent one), and tweaking before you get a decent cutting saw. After musical blade types for a year , I now only use MK Morse blades 10/14 bimetal, they last about a year (I do light fabrication when I am able). Lastly there is such a thing as "blade break in". This will make the difference between a few weeks, and a year of single blade use. I have not used my Milwaukee chopsaw since I got the bandsaw. Hope this is usable info.
    Thisis a picture of the model I currantly use. Wrench.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• urch55
    replied
    Originally posted by garyput View Post
    Hey guys, I'm wanting to buy a vertical metal band saw for my shop and I would like to know what model and brand is most people using. I cut everything now with my sawzall in a vise and I'm wanting to let loose of my caveman habits and step up to some modern cutting equipment. I cut alot of aluminum sheet, tubing for headers, aluminum tubing etc.etc..... I see Jet is a popular brand and has alot of options to choose from. I'm just curious what you guys have and how well you like them.

Gary
    Have you thought of getting a Horizontal/Vertical cutting saw.? That way you get the best of both worlds.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by monte55 View Post
    I have a 16" Delta vertical band saw. It has a 16" throat and 3 wheels......none that are 16".
    Sounds cool...got any pics? (Too lazy to search thru the internet)

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by gordfraser View Post
    craig,
    15" refers to the diameter of the wheels that drives the blades.

that leaves the throat depth is always a little bit less than the wheel diameter.

just some almost useless info.

think there are some horizontal/ vertical combination machines.

i have some jet machines, sure that they are all made in china.
    They are ok though, build quality was acceptable.
    a "value" machine
    I have a 16" Delta vertical band saw. It has a 16" throat and 3 wheels......none that are 16".

Leave a comment:

• kevin
    replied
    jet is good

ive got a jet vert and horz, i love them, the vert saw will come in so handy, i find myself using it for all kinds of things, most of which arent for the purpose i bought it for, you will be pleased

Leave a comment:

• Craig in Denver
    replied
    Gentlemen: thanks for the tips and links.

FK:
    Sheesh, sometimes the answer is too simple; cut twice. Saving the money isn't as important as saving the floorspace.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    When I found my 7x12 Wilton I gave away my 6" HF style because I felt they were too close to the same thing. Mistake
    The little saw with the narrower blades can do more in the vertical position.
    My "go to" saw is actaully nothing to brag about. It is a Delta 14" wood bandsaw for $299 at Lowe's. I slapped a 10 tooth Lennox blade on it and it is just flat perfect for the money. Works fabulous on aluminum.
    You would need to slow it down for steel or just get a better saw from Grizzly with bearings on the blade guides. That's what I will buy after this one is shot.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Olsen
    replied
    Yeah, just for some persepective...

I got rid of my HF band saw when I realized how easy a dry cut saw made things. I paid $279 for a Milwaukee 6190-20 on ebay, and Freud Diablo blades are about $30 each. I made 181 cuts for a fence this afternoon in about an hour and a half, and the blade is still cutting like it's new.

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    I think there may be a swivel head horiz. in my future.
    I have a swivel head saw and I love it. It was especially useful when I had to cut steel at a 28 degree angle for my porch railing project. Attached is a link to the saw.

http://www.accuramachinetools.com/ac...ad-metal-.html

Here is a link to a discussion about swivel head saws. My post is #11 on page 2.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ghlight=swivel

Now I would like to get a vertical metal cutting saw.

Leave a comment:

• gordfraser
    replied
    craig,
    15" refers to the diameter of the wheels that drives the blades.

that leaves the throat depth is always a little bit less than the wheel diameter.

just some almost useless info.

think there are some horizontal/ vertical combination machines.

i have some jet machines, sure that they are all made in china.
    They are ok though, build quality was acceptable.
    a "value" machine

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    Something I didn't understand about my 15" vertical band saw. The 15" means throat depth (yes I knew that part). But if I want to cut a 16" piece off of a 10 footer, I can't use it. It works well for the smaller hand controlled cuts, though. As soon as I got one, I wanted another one. I think there may be a swivel head horiz. in my future.
    You can do it, just not with one cut. Make the first at an angle and a bit longer and then clean it up on the second. I do it quite a bit because I don't feel like using 2 saws.

Leave a comment:

• Craig in Denver
    replied
    Something I didn't understand about my 15" vertical band saw. The 15" means throat depth (yes I knew that part). But if I want to cut a 16" piece off of a 10 footer, I can't use it. It works well for the smaller hand controlled cuts, though. As soon as I got one, I wanted another one. I think there may be a swivel head horiz. in my future.

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    I don't own one personally, but look into Grizzly, they've got pretty good prices and China quality similar to Jet.
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 07-12-2009, 04:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ligito
    replied
    I use this one: HVBS-56M, 5" x 6" Capacity Bandsaw, 1/2 HP, 1Ph, 115/230V
    Model Jet 414458

It sure beats the Horrible Fright model that it replaced.

I also use a chop saw and a Milwaukee dry cutting saw.

Leave a comment:

• strictlycarved
    replied
    hey cant go wrong with jet. i used to own one forgot the model but i fine machine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X