Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • purplewg
    • Aug 2007

Nice work josh. I liked the spurs also. I used horseshoes on mine for handles. I put oak doweling between them. Again good job!
    Just because you have one, doesn't mean you have to act like one.

Miller 212
    Hobart 135
    Miller 375 X-treme
    Really antique Sears Arc N Spark
    O/A Torch Setup

Comment

• SpyGuy
      • Jul 2009

Didn't someone on here use a set of spurs for hinges on his bbq?

Nice work on yours so far - keep us updated.

Comment

• Ranch Land Toys (RLT)
        • Jun 2009

Josh it’s coming along and looking great! Springs or wood would help insulate you from the heat. But with that long handle it should help a lot. If not you can always add spring handles. Once again looking good! You can almost smell the ribs cooking.

Comment

• tom37
          • Nov 2008

Take this for what its worth gentlemen, If one is grilling then I DO think the handle being hot would be an issue. But we are talking about 200 to 250 degree's. In a drunken stooper one night I ended up with a temp of 350. Blurred vision I guess. Even at that high temp I was still able to open and shut the door, tho it was warm.

Sometimes the springs look good sometimes they don't.

Josh, on my rig I used a threaded rod with two nuts, one on either side of the door (welded to the door on both sides). The threaded rod is welded to a 5/8" round bar and bent to make the handle. This makes pretty decent heat transfer, but at the same token 8" in handle length provides for heat loss as well. The only factor I can think of that would make a difference is the wall thickness where the handle is mounted. Mine is 1/8" where the handle is welded on.

Now my fire box is a whole different animal. It gets HOT HOT, and has to have a spring handle.

Josh, I say try it before you change it man, It looks really nice the way it is. I wouldn't change it unless I had to.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
          Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
          Clarke 180 EN Just in case
          Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
          O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
          Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
          4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
          Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
          Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
          I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
          http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

• joshcarlegis55
            • Jan 2008

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I am definately trying it before I change it.... I sure am going to hate all the R&D drinking beer and smoking meat many long nights

Comment

• joshcarlegis55
              • Jan 2008

Hey Tom,

I notice your cooking grate is painted black. Did you just use carbon steel and paint it with high temp paint? How does that work for you? Any problems with flaking or anything like that? I was gonna make mine out of stainless mesh and after pricing that I am leaning towards a painted grate.

Comment

• tom37
                • Nov 2008

Oh its not painted, its smoked. My grates are plain expanded metal. (flat style ). Stainless would be very cool but I thought it was to pricey too. I have heard that sometimes with the stainless you can use just the sheet without edge banding or stiffeners. My shelves have 3/4" bridging from a roof truss project used as a frame for my shelves. The only thing I did to any of the steel was to build up a giant @ss fire, say to near 4 or 5 hundred degrees. Use a small mop and bucket of water to sling water into the hot cook area. Kinda like steam cleaning. I let them cool and wipe every inch of inside area with cooking oil to help season. Then I bring it to temp and cool until I can reapply the oil. A good weekend and plenty of beer you can do this like 4 times at least. The oil I use cheep cloth ( a new one each time ), this also helps collect any stray metal shavings and such.

Even after pressure wash my racks stay black.

One other thought is to make sure that you have a way to let water escape from your tank, even if its as simple as a slight tilt toward the fire box. Water and grease that sits in the cook area breeds MOLD fast. Mold is the only time I pressure wash, other then that is makes good crispies . Sorry I had to say that one, since each time someone eats my food they say dam thats the best I have ever eaten. I think they lie since they are getting free food. In all honesty, I have a giant size home made putty knife I scrape off my shelves with before I fire it up each time.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums
                http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

• purplewg
                  • Aug 2007

Don't mean to steal your thread joshcarlegis55 but just thought I would post of pic of the smoker I made. I call it The Wild Pig.
                  Attached Files
                  Just because you have one, doesn't mean you have to act like one.

Miller 212
                  Hobart 135
                  Miller 375 X-treme
                  Really antique Sears Arc N Spark
                  O/A Torch Setup

Comment

• joshcarlegis55
                    • Jan 2008

Looks great! I read your buildup on it and got a few ideas for mine. Thanks for the help.

Josh

Comment

• oiw
                      • Sep 2009

It looks like your doing a great job keep it up i started one about a year ago its kind of been put to the way side need to get back on it i think you have inspired me.I steel cant believe you got ride of your jeep.good luck
                      1. Millermatic 212
                      2. Miller Spectrum 2050
                      3. Miller cricket xl
                      4. Miller thunder bolt
                      5. Forney 100 amp stick inverter
                      6. Plasma cam cnc table

Comment

• joshcarlegis55
                        • Jan 2008

sad thing is.... the Jeep is still in the garage ... im trying to sell it but no one got any cash around here!! While I got everybodies attention.... anyone looking for a Jeep???

Comment

• joshcarlegis55
                          • Jan 2008

More done today... The little Hobart couldnt hang so I am going to have to get this puppy on a trailer and to the shop or bring a diesel stick welder home to finish the welds and patches.

heres the start of the patch work on top.

Really fit pretty good...

Pipe about halfway welded on and patches tacked in... now for some welding and a bunch of grinding.

Comment

• tom37
                            • Nov 2008

Looking good Josh,

Looking at the design, I would think it will run a bit on the hot side near the fire. Which is not a total bad thing. Especially if you are not trying to cook large amounts. Sometimes when I cook I am doing 2 or 3 hundred slabs. Even temp helps alot in this situation. But when I cook for home the variance would be nice. The end near your stack, in the dome area would be a great place to put a couple whole chickens.

I see in the back ground you have the dome off the end you built the fire box on. Not sure if you are planning more wood or more charcoal but I have read that some guys take a pit and for a lack of better words pre-burn there wood first. That dome looks like it would work pretty good for this. Or even a slick little fire pit to sit around while sipping a cool beverage while the food cooks.

Great job and thanks for the progress pics.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                            Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums

Comment

• joshcarlegis55
                              • Jan 2008

The other dome is going to be turned in to a charcoal gril and mounted on the trailer. I thought about fire pit and everything else but this would allow you to do ribs and chicken for the adults and if you had rugrats running around cook burgers and dogs. Its going to make a pretty big grill all said and done. The hard part is going to be making the lid. I have a design in my head but that doesnt always agree with laws of matter and physics when the metal comes together but if it works out it will be cool.

Comment

• joshcarlegis55
                                • Jan 2008

Made a bit more progress this weekend.

This is what it takes to get work done.... big blue.

the divider between the fire and the cooking area. The door that is cut out will be the damper to control how much smoke is going in to the cooking area

On a side note....the Jeep got traded today..... here is my loot.

Comment

Working...
                                X