Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TurboIntegra42r
    replied
    that thing is kick ass. Are you going to add legs to it and move it closer to the house lol. i could see the folks coming over. WTF is he walking clear out there with the food for? haha.

Leave a comment:

• Ranch Land Toys (RLT)
    replied
    Nice job! Now it’s time to show an action shot of it smoking!

Leave a comment:

• purplewg
    replied
    R U going to put tuning plates in the cook chamber? Nice job on the back yard build too.

Leave a comment:

• joshcarlegis55
    replied
    PRETTY MUCH DONE!!!!!!!!!
    All I need to do is get my temp gauge in here and put a damper on top of the smoke stack. This is gonna be my last pics except for maybe a couple when I cook on it the first time. If anyone has questions or anything you guys have my email or can get in touch with me through here. I will post the finished product when its on the trailer and completely done. Thanks for everyone who has taken interest in my post.

Josh

Leave a comment:

• joshcarlegis55
    replied
    Well folks this is going to be about the second to last group of pics for you. As you will see I am almost done with making this thing cookable. I put the top plate on my firebox today and have built the main grate. All thats left is finishing the welding and putting a grate in the cap which I dont think Ill do for a while. My folks are coming in a couple weekends and this needs to be smoking! I pulled a first today also... I have only been welding aboue a year and have never done it but I have accomplished the ultimate woops... I laid my left forearm right on top of a fresh weld. Not just a small tack but about an inch and a half long bead that was probly 30 seconds or a minute old.... betcha I wont do that again.

I had a bit of a warp-age in my door... dont know if that was the metal before I even made it or if it buckled from welding it in... little contraption with a utility winch to straighten it worked ok... still had a gap on the end but it helped make putting the plate on top easier since I have all sorts of ribd welded on it to help it from distorting from the heat of the fire.

Theres my gap I have to fill... not too big of a deal.

ACTION SHOT!!!

Main Grate... if you look hard you will see I used old fence T-posts as rails... talk about budget build, ha ha.

Leave a comment:

• joshcarlegis55
    replied
    Its refractory, I put it in there to do something different.. basically its a dense aggregate material with specialized cements that you add water to and mix like concrete but it will stand up to extremely high temps. They use it in foundries, steel mills, power plants etc. Anything where you have a shell the needs to be protected from extremely harsh emvironments. I am even thinking about shooting a insulating gunnite material in the cooking area that would allow me to hold in the heat better.

Leave a comment:

• jackh
    replied
    pit looks great so far nice work. what is that you "poured" into the fire box? never seen that done before

Leave a comment:

• joshcarlegis55
    replied
    typo:....

you can run this thing over 3000 degrees and my lining would be OK!!!

Leave a comment:

• joshcarlegis55
    replied
    Got my damper in and my box poured with refractory....

You could fire this thing to over 1300 degrees and my firebox lining would still be there

We are dangerously close to cooking now!

Leave a comment:

• tom37
    replied
    Very Nice, new toys are always fun.

Leave a comment:

• joshcarlegis55
    replied
    By the way.....I had every intention of posting the work on my patches on top but things did not go very smooth this weekend. I have stick welded some stainless recently (which welds so easy) and somehow convinced myself that I was a good stick welder.... which I am not and the patches look like bat sh!t on a pump handle but I should complete them in the next week or two for you guys. I ended up welding all the plate on the inside and am going to have to go back over the outside joints with a mig to make it look worth a crap. It is solid though now and should be ready to cook soon.

Leave a comment:

• joshcarlegis55
    replied
    Made a bit more progress this weekend.

This is what it takes to get work done.... big blue.

the divider between the fire and the cooking area. The door that is cut out will be the damper to control how much smoke is going in to the cooking area

On a side note....the Jeep got traded today..... here is my loot.

Leave a comment:

• joshcarlegis55
    replied
    The other dome is going to be turned in to a charcoal gril and mounted on the trailer. I thought about fire pit and everything else but this would allow you to do ribs and chicken for the adults and if you had rugrats running around cook burgers and dogs. Its going to make a pretty big grill all said and done. The hard part is going to be making the lid. I have a design in my head but that doesnt always agree with laws of matter and physics when the metal comes together but if it works out it will be cool.

Leave a comment:

• tom37
    replied
    Looking good Josh,

Looking at the design, I would think it will run a bit on the hot side near the fire. Which is not a total bad thing. Especially if you are not trying to cook large amounts. Sometimes when I cook I am doing 2 or 3 hundred slabs. Even temp helps alot in this situation. But when I cook for home the variance would be nice. The end near your stack, in the dome area would be a great place to put a couple whole chickens.

I see in the back ground you have the dome off the end you built the fire box on. Not sure if you are planning more wood or more charcoal but I have read that some guys take a pit and for a lack of better words pre-burn there wood first. That dome looks like it would work pretty good for this. Or even a slick little fire pit to sit around while sipping a cool beverage while the food cooks.

Great job and thanks for the progress pics.

Leave a comment:

• joshcarlegis55
    replied
    More done today... The little Hobart couldnt hang so I am going to have to get this puppy on a trailer and to the shop or bring a diesel stick welder home to finish the welds and patches.

heres the start of the patch work on top.

Really fit pretty good...

Pipe about halfway welded on and patches tacked in... now for some welding and a bunch of grinding.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X