Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HMW
    • Mar 2006

Yeha fun4now, they were awesome. Like your old truck they were geared low and had alot of power. Thats why i asked him if he was going to use it for work or play. Cause the old drivetrain had terriable mileage. But just for play an old 6 cyl gas engine and 5 speed, what a toy. And not for much money. But of course if he has the money, the time and the know how it would be cool with a modern diesel. I just try to look at things realistic when i build something. I would like to see one up close. I love old trucks
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

• fun4now
      • Aug 2006

i'm planing on a nice some what newer 235 maybe some thing in the 70's to get better millage but still without all the comp. stuff. but mine will never be a work truck again, even so the lil 235's were good strong lil gassers.
      a diesel would be nice if i could get a small older one. i could make it a vegy mobile with bio-fuel. again not practical for work but nice as a play thing.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

• welder_one
        • Aug 2007

well, last week, i was driving by this man's place to give a bid on a guard for an a/c unit. there have been alot of heat pumps getting stolen lately around here. i saw an old flatbed pick-up and went in for a closer look. it is a 1978 3/4 ton gmc 4wd flatbed truck. it had been sitting up out in the woods behind his house for a little bit, so i asked about it. he had bought it to haul firewood and after he bought his duramax truck, it got parked. 4 speed with granny and a 350 4 barrel carb. the truck is black. i asked him if he would be interested in selling, and he said "i'll give ya 20 bucks to haul the dang thing off" i told him i would haul it off for free, though. he didnt like my price to build a burglar proof cage but told me to come and get the truck. he said that it had been set up for about 4-5 years. i went out today and carried a battery, and a gas can with me. after about 1-2 minutes of cranking, it fired off. i let the smoke clear and drove it out. i let it get good and hot, checked it over, aired the tires and drove it home(about an hours drive). the flat bed is wooden and completely rotted out, so an aluminum flatbed is in store. i think that i will break my fingers on this one making it look new and turning it into a rig truck. it was waaaaay cheaper than the other ones i have been looking at...lol. i will post pics tomorrow after i go to the store and get some more batteries for the camera.
        welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
        www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

• Bert
          • Mar 2007

can't wait to see your new truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Never hurts to ask!!! All they can do is say no!!
          congrats,
          bert
          I'm not late...
          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

• fun4now
            • Aug 2006

Sweeeet

thats great man. & about the same way i got my 51 3/4t GMC. a lil sand paper, a business card, a cup of gas down the carb and drove it home.
            only my ride turned into a smoke bomb when the plastic line to the oil pres. gage broke mid-drive and sprayed oil all over the hot block. a quick stop in at auto zone and i was back on the road. i did have to shell out $300.oo but he threw in a spare truck (53 3/4t GMC no motor) and he delivered it on a flatbed the next day.
            cant wait to see the pic's
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

• welder_one
              • Aug 2007

here are some before pics. this truck is begging for a satin black paint job with miller blue flames across the hood and fenders. an aluminum flatbed to boot. it will take a couple of posts to get all the pics.
              Attached Files
              welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

• welder_one
                • Aug 2007

the rest of them. as i do some clean up and get the bed built, i will post more
                Attached Files
                welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

• fun4now
                  • Aug 2006

too bad you are not closer to me, there is a nice looking aluminum flat bed for sale about 25-30 mil. from me.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  JAMES

Comment

• dabar39
                    • Mar 2007

Good score, I see lots and lots and lots of potential. Dave
                    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
                    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

• PLUMMER
                      • Jul 2007

Glad you found your rig, not the same but....... your started now. Now if i can only find a 1928 Apache for the wife.

Comment

• welder_one
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by PLUMMER View Post
                        Glad you found your rig, not the same but....... your started now. Now if i can only find a 1928 Apache for the wife.

as for the truck, i priced aluminum for the bed and it might be a few side jobs away. so for now, i am going to build a steel frame out of square tubing and then put 2x6 boards down. it is about 2,000 bucks cheaper this way, but soon i will build a flat bed for it out of aluminum.

after changing the shocks, rebuilding the carb, changing all filters and fluids, belts and tires, i drove it down the road today. it has a whole lot power, considering. i now have to change out u-joints...lol. i scrubbed it down with lye and soap, and it cleaned up pretty good. applied a little wax, and the paint is decent. i might wait until good weather to paint (a little humid here). i will post more pics as i go. thanks for keeping up
                        Last edited by welder_one; 12-27-2007, 08:29 PM.
                        welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

• HMW
                          • Mar 2006

Cool truck. Easy and cheap to get parts for. Probably will stink on gas mileage but its the right price i just built an aluminum flat bed [posted pics] and it was not cheap. I was going to suggest if the steel frame is good just replace the boards but I see you've already came to that conclusion. Keep us posted
                          Scott

Comment

• welder_one
                            • Aug 2007

as you can see from the pics, i think that the guy before me was a carpenter. the frame for the flatbed was also wooden. i poked around on the boards and i couldnt save even the frame. its ok i have ordered steel to make a frame and 2x6 to deck it for now.
                            Attached Files
                            welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

• fun4now
                              • Aug 2006

wood is quick easy and most of all cheap. like ya said throw it back together do a few jobs and let it pay for its own bed.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

• HMW
                                • Mar 2006

Thanks for the pics. Its a mess, but real repairable. Good idea making steel frame and wood floor. If you are going to make another body later, you might want to take good measurements while this old body is off and you can get to the frame easy. Just a thought.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X