X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KBar
    replied
    Monte

Doing inspection work in my spare time, most guys used diesel fuel or WD-40 on small areas. It works really well unless you want to buy a form release agent which comes in a powder form also. The powder works much better than the new liquid release agent on rubber forms. Due to new EPA regulations, certain ingredients were taken out of the liquid release agent and it doesnt work as well as it used to.

Pretty soon the government will find something wrong with our welding rods and we'll be forced to make changes.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    Monte,

When we were doing a lot of concrete form work we used straight grease right out of the grease gun. Ran a couple of beads all over the form and then took a stiff bristle brush to spread it out. Any grease remaining on the concrete you're molding can be easily removed with Simple Green and a scrub brush.

The grease will also help protect the MDF.

Just one more option.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Thanks for the replies guys...............

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Monte, I never heard of kerosene being used, but diesel is easy, cheap, and convenient. Guy you really need to talk to here is DDA52, or check SFT, I think he did a whole thread on concrete one time, do a search.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    I had an old-timer friend that lined his wood with parafin wax before he poured concrete. He use to make cement bird baths.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by monte55 View Post
    Hey Cal...........how about kerosene?
    Unless we are on a Kerosene run for Turbine fuel or K1 all of our Kerosene goes into the Low Sulphur Diesel tank so the diesel could be kero or vice versia...Bob

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Hey Cal...........how about kerosene?

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Around here, all the concrete guys use diesel . . . just put it in a regular pump sprayer . . . spray the forms just before pouring.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Maybe I should have stated the forms are small..............say 18" square.
    This is not a high production form......

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied
    Monte:

You need some Form Release Agent. Used to be called Form Oil, or Form Release Oil back in the old days. There are two different formulations now. One is oil based and the other, more environmentally friendly, is water based. It was developed back in the day when almost all concrete forms were plywood, which is real "grabby" where concrete is concerned. Put it in a pack sprayer, spray your form really well, and you will get easy strip and multiple uses. I buy the stuff in fifty-five gallon drums but I am sure that you can get it in five gallon or smaller quantities. Call your local Ready-Mix concrete plant and ask them for a name of a local business that sells concrete accessories to contractors. Tell them you need some form oil, or form release oil. Stuff is relative cheap, non toxic, and easy to use. For me the oil based has always worked better than the water based.

Adios-----

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Thanks for the replies guys.............I know MDF will swell up like a BALL Park Frank when it gets wet. The mold has to be used multiple times.

Leave a comment:

• jjsjeff
    replied
    Most of the time I believe these concrete stamps are made out of rubber. I know the company I did a project at (I'm a PLC programmer) sold the stamps and they were made out of thick rubber.

As far as something that won't stick? I'd almost coat the MDF (epoxy maybe) since it likes to absorb water and then use something like silicone. You could probably use about anything that you don't mind being on the concrete after you press the cement.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Having not tried this, and this is just a hunch, MDF is very smooth and I don't think there will be a problem with separating from the concrete. Unless someone knows for sure, if it were me I would make a little trial run before I started on the actual project. I have noticed better results when I tear down the forms on a concrete job when the concrete is a little green - like next day or so. You don't have to seal the MDF - it is a lot tougher than that.

I just finished a house I built for my mother in law about 3 months ago. I did all the work from digging and pouring the footing, laying the steel, the masonry, framing, roofing, plumbing and electrical. The only thing I did not do was the sheet rock and the insulation. Most of the work I did with only one helper and a lot of the time I was working by myself. Except for the roof. the two of us did all the work.

I really liked the MDF board. I got about 40 pieces as a going away present when I left the paper mill. I had never used it before and didn't know how easy it would be to work with. I made all the molding - baseboard, window, door and made the vanity out of MDF. I was amazed at how easily the MDF milled down with the router.

Now I know this is off the subject - way off. But I wanted to brag a little and let you guys know what a real Black and Decker project is like

Please don't beat on me too hard

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    When i worked in the bath tub factory we used silcone for mold release. Sprayed it on with a spraygun kinda heavy...Bob

Leave a comment:

• 50bmgshooter
    replied
    I use used motor oil on foundation forms
    also on smaller items I have used liquid soap

Leave a comment:

Working...
X