First kayak trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First kayak trailer

I know this girl that is really into kayaking and she has complained to me in the past about how the available trailers on the market were cruddy and flimsy and in her opinion a waste of money. She has been using the roof rack on her Explorer to transport them and she told me how it's a real hassle loading them up there. I expressed to her that I had never made one, but would take on the challenge. I built it on the same principle of a utility trailer frame and added the rack for her kayaks. I also made a small compartment for the front of the trailer for her coolers, paddles and other misc. goodies. She picked it up this morning for an outing with her kayak club. She called me up this afternoon and told me to expect a few phone calls about it as all the members in her club liked it very much. As of this evening, I have received two calls about it and one of them is bringing me a deposit in the morning for one exactly like hers and another one is bringing me a deposit for one to hold four kayaks. Dave
    Attached Files
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

That's insane!!!

Dave, that thing is TOTALLY awsome!!! I know what she's talking about, 'cause we have a lot of people here that kayak!!! (go figure, huh?)
    I DEARLY wish I had room where I could build something like that over here!!!!
    again...GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Nice trailer

Nice job . . . a few questions from a kayak challanged person . . . Do the kayaks sit on top of the yokes. If so, is there a reason not to deck the rest of the trailer for more carrying capacity? I like the front compartment.

Thanks steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steven DeMmars View Post
        Nice job . . . a few questions from a kayak challanged person . . . Do the kayaks sit on top of the yokes. If so, is there a reason not to deck the rest of the trailer for more carrying capacity? I like the front compartment.

Thanks steve
        The Kayaks do sit on the arms and there is tie down points attached to the arms to hold the kayaks in place. In this case sheeting the entire deck would serve no real purpose, all it will ever carry is the two kayak's and her cooler and other small items in the front area. Dave

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

Looks real nice Dave. Good work.
          Rich Ferguson
          Sales Technician
          Jackson Welding Supply Co.
          "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
          www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Comment

Hey..nice trailer. Did you build from scratch or modify an existing. You could put a couple of small Jet Skis on the deck for when the kayaks run out of gas.
            Nick
            Miller 252 Mig
            Miller Cricket XL
            Millermatic 150 Mig
            Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
            2-O/A outfits
            Jet Lathe and Mill
            Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
            DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
            Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
            20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
            Propane Forge
            60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
            Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
            and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
              Hey..nice trailer. Did you build from scratch or modify an existing. You could put a couple of small Jet Skis on the deck for when the kayaks run out of gas.
              Trailer was built from scratch, had no real plan in mind when I started it, just basically winged it. I don't think she has to worry about runnin out of gas either, you should see her, she would have plenty of volunteers to tow her in Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
                Trailer was built from scratch, had no real plan in mind when I started it, just basically winged it. I don't think she has to worry about runnin out of gas either, you should see her, she would have plenty of volunteers to tow her in Dave
                The reason I asked..............how will she get it licensed.........as a homebuilt
                or what
                Nick
                Miller 252 Mig
                Miller Cricket XL
                Millermatic 150 Mig
                Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                2-O/A outfits
                Jet Lathe and Mill
                Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                Propane Forge
                60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                  The reason I asked..............how will she get it licensed.........as a homebuilt
                  or what
                  I am a licensed manufacturer of trailers, I supply the customer with a Certificate of Origin and I also assign the trailer a V.I.N. number to be given to the D.M.V. Dave

Comment

Dave,
                    I think it would all help us if you took some pictures of her vehicle that is towing your trailer and her, to see if it is capable of towing that trailer, and if she is capable of putting the trailer on her vehicle
                    I'm not late...

Comment

Bert, Fess up. you just wanna see a cute girl don't cha?
                      She is supposed to be sending some pictures with the kayaks loaded on it in the next day or two, I'll post them when I get em'. Dave

Comment

Nope, sorry...married! Just wanna be sure you're building the trailer proper like for her and her vehicle
                        I'm not late...

Comment

simple and solid, just what the Dr. orderd. really nice job.
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                          JAMES

Comment

Love to see clean, functional projects. Nice job. Just gotta know the rationale, as to why the support arms are attached at an angle, instead of being horizontal.

A couple decades ago I added a rack with horizontal arms to a small boat trailer to carry sailboards and kayaks. It didn't occur to me to place the arms at an angle.

Thanks.

Comment

kayak Trailer

Keep up the good work Dave.Also Nice finish job on the fenders.just the two marker lights up front! and no reflector tape.

Comment

Working...
                              X