X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjsjeff
    replied
    Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
    I wish this had been posted on another forum, I got into a bunch of sh!t on another sight for suggesting all persons purchasing a welder should be required to take a training course before being allowed to purchase and use them. Scares me to think this guy is building stuff that may be rolling down our highways. Dave
    I think I read that thread, but if you're going to license people to buy welders you should do the same for people buying a pneumatic framing nailers. Lots of amateurs getting involved in house construction during the last housing boom.

P.S. I haven't been to church since I was a kid, but I remember a song that we used to sing: "This little light of mine...I'm gonna let it shine...this little light of mine...I'm gonna let it shine...let it shine...let it shine...let it shine!"
    Last edited by jjsjeff; 09-04-2007, 07:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    thats some funny stuff.
    you have to wonder how these people live so long???? its a good thing you don't have to remember to breath.

Leave a comment:

• dabar39
    replied
    Originally posted by jwsrep View Post
    Quite sometime ago when I used to work the counter for the same employer I have now, we had a guy come in carrying a welding hood and the clear cover plates for it. He handed me the spatter covered glass cover plate and asked if I could get him a couple of new ones. I told that I could, but asked him what type of welding he was doing and he told me he was MIG weling. I recommended he go with the cast resin lens' because the spatter would not stick to it. He thanked me and agreed on the cast resin. It was strange because I started to notice he was blinking quite a bit. I then asked him if the shaded lens in his hood needed to be replaced. He asked me "What are you talking about?" "What is a shaded lens?" I then asked him to hand me his hood and whata ya know? NO SHADED LENS!! I sheet you not!!! I asked him if he knew that he was supposed to have a shaded lens in the helmet he said no...then he said "I was wondering how people see when they weld." "The light was awful bright."I then looked a little closer at him and sure enough around his eye/nose area you could start to see a raccoon mask sunburn. I asked how long he had been welding and he told me a couple of hours. To which I told him he was in for the most uncomfortable night of his life.

Here's your sign!
    I wish this had been posted on another forum, I got into a bunch of sh!t on another sight for suggesting all persons purchasing a welder should be required to take a training course before being allowed to purchase and use them. Scares me to think this guy is building stuff that may be rolling down our highways. Dave

Leave a comment:

• jwsrep
    replied
    Quite sometime ago when I used to work the counter for the same employer I have now, we had a guy come in carrying a welding hood and the clear cover plates for it. He handed me the spatter covered glass cover plate and asked if I could get him a couple of new ones. I told that I could, but asked him what type of welding he was doing and he told me he was MIG weling. I recommended he go with the cast resin lens' because the spatter would not stick to it. He thanked me and agreed on the cast resin. It was strange because I started to notice he was blinking quite a bit. I then asked him if the shaded lens in his hood needed to be replaced. He asked me "What are you talking about?" "What is a shaded lens?" I then asked him to hand me his hood and whata ya know? NO SHADED LENS!! I sheet you not!!! I asked him if he knew that he was supposed to have a shaded lens in the helmet he said no...then he said "I was wondering how people see when they weld." "The light was awful bright."I then looked a little closer at him and sure enough around his eye/nose area you could start to see a raccoon mask sunburn. I asked how long he had been welding and he told me a couple of hours. To which I told him he was in for the most uncomfortable night of his life.

Here's your sign!

Leave a comment:

• wldrman
    replied
    At the shop the other day, we were having a problem while tapping holes in aluminum. The holes are tapped from either side, leaving about 1/8th inch of space in between the 2 holes. Well, needless to say, their was alomost always a chip left inside this little space. One of the machinists suggested tapping all the way through the hole. One of the enginers said "If you do that, you will have a left hand thread on the opposite side!"

What a waste of a college education.

Leave a comment:

• welder13
    replied
    Originally posted by welder_one View Post
    not too long ago, a man brought a trailer to me fro me to weld a piece of metal onto the tailgate. i cut and fit and pull out the machine to start welding. my hood is the miller elite '27 roadster and as i put it on, this man commented on my hood. i siad thanks. i then say cover and flip my hood down. after a few good tacks i hear the man yell "holy s**t" i look up quickly thinking that i started a fire and i see him holding his eyes. i said whats up and he said dang that light is bright. i told him that you are not supposed to look at the light. without missing a beat, he asked "well how are you looking at it?" resisting the urge of saying that keep my eyes shut while welding, i told him that the lens in the hood filters the light. he walked off, so i struck arc again. after about 5-10 more minutes, i hear him yell again and this time thinking "lesson learned" there really is a fire this time. i look at him and he is still holding his eyes and saying that it didnt work. "what didnt work" i asked. he handed me a pair of sunglasses. i asked him to leave and i would call him when the trailer was done. later he returns to pick up the trailer and i told him about potatoes and vicks rub for his eyes, we talked about drunk chickens. and how he had a hard time getting a beer can stuffed in a chicken. i told him about a can holder that i made that holds the can and has a leading edge to cut into the chicken and the push the can from the bottom while removing the tool. i made it out of aluminum. he said that he didnt want a chicken that had been in contact with a piece of aluminum. "what do you think a beer can is made of?" i asked. he said not aluminum. where do these people come from???
    Haha, the title sais it all

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    I was welding props for outboards a while back. An individual comes in with a prop and asks me how much to fix it. He had sheared 2/3 of one blade off which was lost to the water gods, but to keep the motor from vibrating and keep fishing for the weekend had hacksawed 2/3 off the other two blades which he had in hand. Sure kept the vibrations down and sold him a new one. The ingenuity of America.

Leave a comment:

• welder_one
    started a topic a thread celebrating the "not so bright"

a thread celebrating the "not so bright"

not too long ago, a man brought a trailer to me fro me to weld a piece of metal onto the tailgate. i cut and fit and pull out the machine to start welding. my hood is the miller elite '27 roadster and as i put it on, this man commented on my hood. i siad thanks. i then say cover and flip my hood down. after a few good tacks i hear the man yell "holy s**t" i look up quickly thinking that i started a fire and i see him holding his eyes. i said whats up and he said dang that light is bright. i told him that you are not supposed to look at the light. without missing a beat, he asked "well how are you looking at it?" resisting the urge of saying that keep my eyes shut while welding, i told him that the lens in the hood filters the light. he walked off, so i struck arc again. after about 5-10 more minutes, i hear him yell again and this time thinking "lesson learned" there really is a fire this time. i look at him and he is still holding his eyes and saying that it didnt work. "what didnt work" i asked. he handed me a pair of sunglasses. i asked him to leave and i would call him when the trailer was done. later he returns to pick up the trailer and i told him about potatoes and vicks rub for his eyes, we talked about drunk chickens. and how he had a hard time getting a beer can stuffed in a chicken. i told him about a can holder that i made that holds the can and has a leading edge to cut into the chicken and the push the can from the bottom while removing the tool. i made it out of aluminum. he said that he didnt want a chicken that had been in contact with a piece of aluminum. "what do you think a beer can is made of?" i asked. he said not aluminum. where do these people come from???
Working...
X