Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welder_one
    replied
    stay tuned, who knows what will happen tomorrow... they are running laminated panels through the paintline, something "not so bright" happens everytime

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    man that guy has got to go. failure to fallow proper safty preseagers is a plenty good reason to let him go, befor he dose kill some one or realy get hurt.

Leave a comment:

• welder_one
    replied
    i am afraid that he will eventually hurt someone, if they dont

Leave a comment:

• KBar
    replied
    Originally posted by welder_one View Post
    this one happened today, we had gotten a new mechanical radius punch press in yesterday. it is used to round corners on metal. it is a 12 ton unit. i was asked to fabricate a point of entry guard for this machine, and the maintenance man would drill and thread holes in the machine to bolt the guard in place. so i made the guard and set it in place. now the machine is set and lock out/tag outs installed. i walked back to my area, and not more than 10 minutes later, i hear a loud scream from that area. i ran over to find one of the metal department guys laying on the floor with a little blood coming from his arm. this knuckle head had found the key to the lock out/tag out and plugged the machine in, turned it on and pushed the button. the ram spun around and smack the guard hard enough to hit him in the arm and draw blood. i asked him why he took the lock off, he said that it looked like the guard was on and wanted to use the machine. rule #1 about lock out/ tag out: if you didnt do the work, dont remove the lock...period. this same person about a month ago had a rattle on another machine and removed the guards over the belt, leaned in, and got his arm pulled around the pulley by the belt. it caused 21 stitches. hopefuly this fellow wont be around much longer. his new nickname is beetlejuice. b/c he looks like beetlejuice.

You mean they still let him work there Buy him a nail gun and put him in his own little corner

Leave a comment:

• welder_one
    replied
    this one happened today, we had gotten a new mechanical radius punch press in yesterday. it is used to round corners on metal. it is a 12 ton unit. i was asked to fabricate a point of entry guard for this machine, and the maintenance man would drill and thread holes in the machine to bolt the guard in place. so i made the guard and set it in place. now the machine is set and lock out/tag outs installed. i walked back to my area, and not more than 10 minutes later, i hear a loud scream from that area. i ran over to find one of the metal department guys laying on the floor with a little blood coming from his arm. this knuckle head had found the key to the lock out/tag out and plugged the machine in, turned it on and pushed the button. the ram spun around and smack the guard hard enough to hit him in the arm and draw blood. i asked him why he took the lock off, he said that it looked like the guard was on and wanted to use the machine. rule #1 about lock out/ tag out: if you didnt do the work, dont remove the lock...period. this same person about a month ago had a rattle on another machine and removed the guards over the belt, leaned in, and got his arm pulled around the pulley by the belt. it caused 21 stitches. hopefuly this fellow wont be around much longer. his new nickname is beetlejuice. b/c he looks like beetlejuice.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    "common sense isn't all the common anymore".
    sadly so very true.

Leave a comment:

• SignWave
    replied
    I have gas.

when lighting or shutting down a torch we all know its: "A before O or up you go!!!" Right?

Leave a comment:

• jjsjeff
    replied
    Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
    ... Even with all of the proper training in the world, with all the latest products on the market, and the information level available on the internet, there is not one single outlet available for these people to get common sense, so I now regretfully retract my proposed idea that people should have to be trained because no matter what we do, they will still be a danger to the rest of us. Dave
    One of the financial guy's talk shows I listen to uses the quote "common sense isn't all the common anymore".

Leave a comment:

• dabar39
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now View Post
    yep i get it i just think at some point we should decide to protect others insted of the operator as a larger concern.
    That was the whole idea of what I posted on another site. Seems quite a few people have no problem with some one going out and buying a welder, calling himself a welder and building a trailer or some other structural item with absolutely no clue as to what he/she is doing. Anyone who has been on here for a while has probably seen a few of my posts about unsafe trailers going down the road or various other questionable items being proudly displayed.

After thinking about the responses that I got back over the silly idea of people having to be trained, it all started making some sense to me. Even with all of the proper training in the world, with all the latest products on the market, and the information level available on the internet, there is not one single outlet available for these people to get common sense, so I now regretfully retract my proposed idea that people should have to be trained because no matter what we do, they will still be a danger to the rest of us. Dave

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    yep i get it i just think at some point we should decide to protect others insted of the operator as a larger concern.

Leave a comment:

• jjsjeff
    replied
    I wish this had been posted on another forum, I got into a bunch of sh!t on another sight for suggesting all persons purchasing a welder should be required to take a training course before being allowed to purchase and use them
    i'm really more concerned about the guys with O/A rigs and no clue as to the possible risks involved. after all a welder will most likely only blind or shock himself. the guy with the O/A rig sitting under the steel he is cutting could effect a lot more people if ya get my meaning.
    if you're going to license people to buy welders you should do the same for people buying a pneumatic framing nailer's. Lots of amateurs getting involved in house construction during the last housing boom.

again still a small number of fools getting them selves into trouble. why must we always feel the need to protect the stupid from them selves ?? if you are too stupid to be alive...well so be it. how can any one not see the possible danger of a pneumatic nail gun ??? again we refer to the "good thing they don't have to remember to breath".
    i have worked with pneumatic nail guns for almost 20 years ( about ) and its been the same for many of them. the first page of its owners manual shows a guy shooting the other guy walking up the ladder behind him in the head ?? so the first thing you have to do is be stupid enough to go up a ladder right behind the guy with the gun right. so now you don't know how to use a ladder aether. so why are you trying to use a pro's tool. LOL just too stupid to figure out how to work a hammer due to its lack of instructional material when purchased ????

i say let the stupid rid us of themselves as long as they do it without taking us with them.
    I was just making the point about the nail gun to show how far you would need to drag the bureaucratic process out to keep things even.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    let the stupid do themselves in,only protect the rest of us from them

I wish this had been posted on another forum, I got into a bunch of sh!t on another sight for suggesting all persons purchasing a welder should be required to take a training course before being allowed to purchase and use them
    i'm really more concerned about the guys with O/A rigs and no clue as to the possible risks involved. after all a welder will most likely only blind or shock himself. the guy with the O/A rig sitting under the steel he is cutting could effect a lot more people if ya get my meaning.
    if you're going to license people to buy welders you should do the same for people buying a pneumatic framing nailer's. Lots of amateurs getting involved in house construction during the last housing boom.

again still a small number of fools getting them selves into trouble. why must we always feel the need to protect the stupid from them selves ?? if you are too stupid to be alive...well so be it. how can any one not see the possible danger of a pneumatic nail gun ??? again we refer to the "good thing they don't have to remember to breath".
    i have worked with pneumatic nail guns for almost 20 years ( about ) and its been the same for many of them. the first page of its owners manual shows a guy shooting the other guy walking up the ladder behind him in the head ?? so the first thing you have to do is be stupid enough to go up a ladder right behind the guy with the gun right. so now you don't know how to use a ladder aether. so why are you trying to use a pro's tool. LOL just too stupid to figure out how to work a hammer due to its lack of instructional material when purchased ????

i say let the stupid rid us of themselves as long as they do it without taking us with them.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    LOL gotta love stupidvisor's

Leave a comment:

• welder_one
    replied
    this one happened at the begging of this year and before i start, i have to tell you that i work for the largest sign company in the world. it is very easy for me to say "what do we build here?" "here's your's, by the way"...lol... it starts out, i was working on a job for the logan international airport, in boston. the signs are 2x2 square tube frame, with 5 inch i-beam running horizontal, and 8 inch i-beam stacked on top running vertical(architect drawings). the plant production supervisor comes to me while i was working on this sign and asks a time frame for completion, i had lost my voice about a day or so before, so my fitter answered his question"all we lack is finishing up" this supervisor then asked what was wrong with my voice and the fitter said that the fumes from welding had burned my voice. supervisor then asked me" well stan, dont you wear a hood? i had hood, leathers, gloves, and respirator on and standing on the sign when he asked me. my fitter then said, nope he puts it on after he gets done welding. this supervisor know has the nickname"stupidvisor" i have many more stories to tell on stupidvisor, but i'll wait until this thread takes off a little more.

Leave a comment:

• BWS29128
    replied
    its a good thing you don't have to remember to breathe.
    Ain't it tha d*mned truth!!!

(STILL laughing at these posts!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X