Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass-N-Gas
    replied
    Once upon an oil-boom a welders helper showed up late to work on a hangover..The welder told his helper to go take a hit off of the O2 bottle that it would help his headache...A little bit latter the "Hand" comes back with a bloody nose and said man that was one "heck" of a rush... Turns out he went over to the bottle rack placed his mouth upon a full bottle and cracked the valve......

Yeah they walk amongst us...

Leave a comment:

• welder_one
    replied
    another great one... while in the army, i was putting the belly pans back on a d-7 cat dozer. i messed up because i snugged the bolts as i started them, once at the end, the pan was warped and twisted badly enough that i couldnt get he bolts to start. i told the operator of the machine to head to the tool room to check out a bolt stretcher, the tool room custodian immediately told him that ours was checked out, and that he needed to go to alpha company and use theirs. alphas tool room guy claimed theirs was in for repairs and the soldier needed to go to bravo. bravo company was almost exactly 1 mile from our unit, but he went. the custodian there loaded a small tool box with scrap iron. handed this kid the box of scrap iron, told him that i would have a key to unlock the box and sent him packing a 330 pound box on a mile hike... in the meantime, i had removed the bolts and put the belly pan on properly, this soldier returned to me sweating and worn out, i told him that i simply had gotten a longer bolt. he took the bolt stretcher back to bravo company.

Leave a comment:

• spervis
    replied
    Stupervisor..

Off the welding subject but still stupervisor material. I work for a helicopter operation and we use them to fight fires for the US Forest Service. While deployed on a fire 2 weeks ago we along with some fire fighters from all over the country were sitting around talking. One fella from Mississippi was talking about fishing in the river. My Stupervisor (owner of the company) asked him if he had ever dove down and pulled out catfish like he had seen on TV. He said yes and my boss said he was too scared of snakes. The firefighter said "I was bitten on the foot one time by a water moccasin". My boss said,"Did it kill you"...... and yes he was serious. Those kinds of things fall from his lip's quite often. You can just imagine the looks on the others faces.

Leave a comment:

• jweller
    replied
    LOL
    I've got one close to that. I had lost the screw that holds the temple piece onto my glasses. I walked up to the counter at one of those glasses while you wait places in the mall. When the attractive older lady asked how she could help me I took off my glasses and said "i need a screw". without missing a beat, she replied "sir, I'm not that kind of lady" I know i must have turned about 20 shades of red.

Leave a comment:

• Lineman99
    replied
    Better Watch What You Say...

This happened to me some time back....Still get a laugh out of it every time I think about it or go to the steel yard.

I called a local steel yard to order materials and check availability of some items.
    I was reading off my list, and was down to the last 2 items. The lady on the other end was very nice and had one of those killer voices. I asked if she had 3/4" black nipples...She asked me to hold a moment. She came back on the line and told me, "I'm sorry, but, mine are not quite that big...."

Never in my life was I ever caught for lack of words..... and talk about being embarrassed when I went to pick the materials up.

Leave a comment:

• Vicegrip
    replied
    They move even slower if the cord is coiled up as they have to go around all the corners.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by KEENAVV View Post
    Put a light on the end of a 50' extension cord. Flip the switch and count to 50.
    I guess with a 50 ft cord the electricity could never get up to full speed before it had to start slowing down again or it could crash right through light at the end

Leave a comment:

• KEENAVV
    replied
    Put a light on the end of a 50' extension cord. Flip the switch and count to 50.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by ridesideways View Post
    ehh...? so are you saying you agree with the 1 ft/sec guy? that's pretty funny actually

we weren't arguing about how fast a single electron vibrates or moves, we were arguing about how fast an electric voltage propagates along a wire. the guy had probably seen some show that talked about drift velocity for a single electron, but he was applying to mean propagation speed of a voltage.

this is strange. it sounds to me like we have some of our very own "not so bright" right here on our message board.
    Not sure I read your post correctly.......1 foot per sec for electrons...not me....but some electrons could be really lazy..like people.

Now the speed of light vs the speed of electricity....both will change speed dependant on what mediam? they are traveling through. Light can be reflected, refracted, absorbed etc which dicate its speed at that point. Not so sure on what affects electrons speed other than the material, (air, metal etc)size, conductivity(resistance)EMFetc. If anyone has the knowledge to enlighten us, please do so. But if you are just making up crap, we'll call you on it.

Leave a comment:

• ridesideways
    replied
    Originally posted by monte55 View Post
    Actually you guys didn't come out looking too smart on that one......sorry...I callesm as I seesem.
    ehh...? so are you saying you agree with the 1 ft/sec guy? that's pretty funny actually

Originally posted by lotechman View Post
    The electrons move about the speed of sound. Electricity moves much faster... Imagine a stack of billiard ***** and you hit the one end with a cue ball.
    we weren't arguing about how fast a single electron vibrates or moves, we were arguing about how fast an electric voltage propagates along a wire. the guy had probably seen some show that talked about drift velocity for a single electron, but he was applying to mean propagation speed of a voltage.

this is strange. it sounds to me like we have some of our very own "not so bright" right here on our message board.

Leave a comment:

• enlpck
    replied
    His analogy is correct.

There are several speeds associated with electric current

The velocity of individual electrons at a given instant, which ranges from zero to several thousand meters per second in a metal.

The drift velocity, which is the average velocity of all of the electrons in a conductor carrying current. Zero if there is no current, to several meters per second in a high-current density conductor

The velocity of the influence (non-technical term... this is where the billiard ball analogy comes in), which is near the speed of light (about half) in most conductors. The influence is due to the interaction between electrons' electric fields. This influence works at the speed of light (the carrier particle is photons) between individual electrons, but the net effect in a bulk conductor is slower for a variety of reasons.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by lotechman View Post
    The electrons move about the speed of sound. Electricity moves much faster... Imagine a stack of billiard ***** and you hit the one end with a cue ball.
    What electrons move at the speed of sound? So by your figures a person
    in New York could be calling someone in California on the house phone to say
    "Hello" but the person in California still has time to leave and do some shopping before the phone even starts ringing.
    CHECK YOUR FACTS

Leave a comment:

• lotechman
    replied
    Originally posted by ridesideways View Post
    me and some friends got into a discussion with this redneck guy from fairbanks, alaska about how fast electricity travels along a wire. he was convinced that it traveled 1 foot per second-- he had seen it on a science show. we kept giving him examples of lightning, etc., and explaining it traveled incredibly fast at nearly the speed of light. but he is not listening-- he knows better than us.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    good thing you didnt tell himto burn a ft.

Leave a comment:

• BudMan580
    replied
    Ok, so we tell a guy at work, take this coil of line (rope) up to the roof and throw it down to us and we'll tie the piece on. 5 minutes later, the ENTIRE coil comes crashing down, still coiled!
    A friend is telling me that they get a new guy on the job. They need to pull a measurement with a hundred foot tape, but the first inch or so is broken off the tape. They tell the guy to walk down with the end of the tape and when he sees the mark they painted in the day before hold the tape on one foot. He pulls the tape tight and is wondering why the measurement is so far off, until he looks at the other guy.......Holding the end of the tape and.......balancing on one foot!!!!!!!
    Can't make this crap up!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X