Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten Life

Hey All,
    Im fairly new to the TIG game. Ive been burning up my Tung's practicing. A touch here, a touch there. Ultimately I need to repoint after each episode.
    So my question is:
    When is a tungsten electrode no longer usable? I mean, How short can it be before you need to replace it?

Thanks guys and This place is great! A wealth of Knowledge!
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

as long as its large enough to clamp into the torch it can be used. many cut them down small to start with to use the flush back cap to allow it to fit into smaller spaces.
    you can also order them pre-ground in almost any size. the 7" is just the basic starting point for the long back cap and as such the longest lasting.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

tungstens at the ready

Like Fun said, as long as it is secure in the collet, and sticking out far enough, you are good to go.

I too am new to the TIG game, and got tired of spending more time waiting to use the tungsten grinder in class than actually TIG welding. I now use a Dremel tool with a diamond wheel at home to sharpen them. I purchase tungstens by the 10-pack and sharpen them all at once. That way I can crash the tip, swap it out, and crash it again, with great efficiency...
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Coolmate 3

Comment

I'm a TIG novice as well. I did the same thing Dave did. I sharpened up a bunch and had at it. My tips were going pretty fast at first as well....esp when I was using my T'bolt. The TB with its scratch start and automatic ramp down was way more forgiving. I need to do more TIG again.
        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
        '06 12RC feeder
        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
        Esab Multimaster 260
        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Wouldja believe I find it easier to weld Aluminum than I do Steel.... talk about messed up eh?

Miller 251/30A spool
          Syncro200
          Spectrum 625
          O/A
          Standard modern lathe
          horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
          Roland XC540 PRO III
          54" laminator
          little dog

Comment

i also sharpen up a hand full at a time and wait till i'm out then re-sharpen them all at once. as i use 2% lanthanated the only thing i have to decide between is size. so its not like i have to look for a different kind for aluminum or steel.
            as for aluminum being essayer then steel........ getting the stacked dime look seems essayer on aluminum. i tend to get one long smooth bead in steel..........not shore if thats a big deal, just the way it comes out. as long as i am getting good penetration and plenty of filler to keep my bead convexed, i'm ok with it.
            as a non-pro i'm mostly concerned with getting a good solid weld that will hold and less about the appearance. don't get me wrong, i am definitely working on the appearance part as well but i think its a time in the seat thing. i expect its going to take some time to get great looking beads every time. as i don't TIG weld near enough. i suspect the looks will get there in time, its hold i am mostly concerned about.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Hahahahahaha!!! That reminds me of something I used to do when i was bored. I build model airplanes now and again and in the construction, I use piano wire. Usually 3/32 or 1/8 dia spring steel rod. If i have short ends left over, I point both ends and use them as throwing darts! Hahahahah!!! My shop has a few holes here and there...

Anyone see the episode of Monster Garage where they made the steam boat? Jessie wipped a peice of steel at one of his bay doors and it firmly planted itself! A man after my own heart!!! Hahahahahaha!!!

Miller 251/30A spool
              Syncro200
              Spectrum 625
              O/A
              Standard modern lathe
              horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
              Roland XC540 PRO III
              54" laminator
              little dog

Comment

While the original question was, how long (in terms of length) can tungsten be used?, there is another part of this question that should be noted if for no more reason than just having the information. There is a, how long can tungsten be used (in terms of time) question that might affect when you want to pitch it? I will risk prodividing information that I feel sure most, if not all here know here because I feel like writing it down, and my fresh pot of Starbucks French Roast is not quite ready to drink yet. Anyways, when the arc is on, the rare earth mixed in the tungsten migrates to the tip and is consumed, it is possible to consume it to the level so that it is not effective any longer and the arc could go wonky, strange, wobbly, etc,. Of couse that will never happen to me as I feel the need to dip the tip once in a while, thereby having to cut the tip off and regrind a new one. I think that if one buys quality tungsten, then even if one could keep and arc going on the same tip for long periods of time, it still wouldn't be a problem. There is, so they tell me, lessor quality tungsten coming from China that doesn't contain the proper rare earth quantity in the mix (not enough) that could be a problem, and if that happened one could be looking at everything else trying to find out why the arc startiing going funny. Well the Coffee (did I mention it is Starbucks French Roast ) is ready so I wll try beat my way to the pot before the smell attacts the other family members.
                Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                  I'm a TIG novice as well. I did the same thing Dave did. I sharpened up a bunch and had at it. My tips were going pretty fast at first as well....esp when I was using my T'bolt. The TB with its scratch start and automatic ramp down was way more forgiving. I need to do more TIG again.
                  Don, good to see you are getting more into Tig, for me it's been fun since the guy down the street let me play with his Lincoln PT185. I was instantly hooked, the process is so challanging and at the same relaxing I like to think of it as therapy.
                  Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                  Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                  Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                  Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Sundown makes an excellent point about the life of the oxides in the tungsten. i suspect most wont reach that point till they have purchased quite a few sticks and with luck learned a bit more about the tungsten its self. i ordered some from diamond ground and got a book on tungsten from them. very informative. but as he said if you been going for a wile and your arc go's to poo its a good possibility you are out of oxides in the tip, a fresh grind is in order. i have hit this point only a few times as i don't do that much TIG, basically stooped after getting aluminum down as i have not had another call for aluminum.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

Working...
                    X