No announcement yet.

New Horizontal bandsaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mainly due to money I suppose. Fluid systems cost more. The entry level saws are cheap (HF greens and reds) and are really not set up for fluid out of the box..but usually get modified. That is my best guess at the moment.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Dda52

thanks for your patience and input. Like Monte has one, that Jet 7x12 is probably what I'll get in the future
      I'm not late...
      I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Hahahahahaha!!!! On the second day I had my saw I tried to cut a peice of
        5" wide spring steel! I took all the teeth of the blade. Oh, perhaps that should have been posted in the "not so bright" thread! Hahahahahaha!!! Can you say Duh LLLL?
        Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
        Syncro200
        Spectrum 625
        O/A
        Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
        Standard modern lathe
        Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
        horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
        Roland XC540 PRO III
        54" laminator
        hammer and screwdriver (most used)
        little dog
        pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
          I noticed nobody suggested a wet bandsaw???Why not? I thought if you cut a lot,you would want the oil to keep your blade cool and longer?
          thanks,
          bert
          If you are cutting most solids having coolant is a plus, if you are mostly cutting strutural shapes, it doesn't signicantly impact blade life and is a big mess.

Originally posted by alha View Post
          I've done a bit of research, and the one that comes to the top is an Ellis 1600.

http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saws/3/1600-mitre-band-saw

It should fit your bill, and is about in your price range. It is a top quality saw, will last you for years. Here's the 2nd best price I've found on one. The best was $2195 + shipping from southern MN, but he doesn't have an ad up right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ellis-1600-Miter...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!
          Originally posted by shade tree welder View Post
          I am thinking about purchasing a new mitering head horizontal bandsaw, I been on the internet searching all brands,capacities, specs etc.,looking for a 8-9" round capacity.There are several brands to choose from, Jet, Wilton,Saber,these seem to be in my price range $1400-2000 range, any one out there have one of these, need some advice,!
          I would concur the Ellis 1600 is a nice saw. I am very happy with mine. If I didn't need the mobile aspect of the 1600 I would have gone with the 1800.

PS. Nice user name...
          Ron

ShopFloorTalk

Millermatic 350P, Roughneck 4012 and Ironmate guns
          Dynasty 300DX, Coolmate 3, Crafter CS-310 Torch
          Trailblazer 302, 12RC, WC-24
          30A spoolgun
          Spectrum 2050

Thermal Arc Plasma Welder PS-3000/WC-100B

Comment

Bert, the vast majority of the saws in that class are wet cutters.
            Did you mean dry?, Am I missing something? I saw a jet at a local store, I think it's a 7x12 wet or dry for $900. I LOVE the feature of making it vertical also!!!
            thanks,
            bert
            Originally posted by monte55 View Post
            Bert.........I have that saw and have no complaints
            I had a 7x12 Jet. It has its place but mine was costing my more time in repair than it was worth. And I almost alway ran it dry because more coolant ended up in the floor than in the saw. I upgraded to the Ellis 1600. Very happy I did. I did it for $2195. Bought it from Mr. Machinery in MN. I will buy from him again.

Here is the history on my purchase.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ght=Ellis+1600

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ght=Ellis+1600
            Last edited by shadetreewelder; 09-09-2007, 10:07 AM.
            Ron

ShopFloorTalk

30A spoolgun
            Spectrum 2050

Comment

ShadetreeWelder,
              thanks for the info,
              mucho appreciato!!!!
              bert
              I'm not late...

Comment

Originally posted by Bert via PM
                saw your history on the sft, looks like you owned that large Jet before? Why'd you get rid of it?
                Well it was never a great saw but it was inexpensive, as most Chinese/Asian goods are, and at the time it fit the need. I also put alot of hours on it.

It left something to be desired as in, slow and tedious to adjust the miter. If you are cutting lets say tubing with a square cut on one end and a miter on the other it was a Pita you'd have to cut all your pieces over size and then go back and then miter or square up the other end, with the Ellis you can set up your in feed and out feed rollers and just move the head to the angle you need. Less waste and it is fast. The Jet when you are running a lot of cuts eats up guide bearings, my cutting needs went from 1 hour a week to 8-16 hours a week. The jet is just not a production saw. Blade changes are a PITA with the Jet they are fast and painless with the Ellis. I had to return band wheels twice on the jet, Had to remanufacture the shaft for the idler wheel because the ball bearing inner race broke and ate up the original one. I had made many customization to attempt to make the saw easier and faster to use.

Originally posted by Bert via PM
                thanks for the advice and pics? Do you think the Ellis will work better than your old Jet?
                I have had the Ellis a little over 3 months now, it is a great saw. I was rebuilding the Jet about every 3 months to keep it going. I am still on the orginal blade with the Ellis... 'nuff said there...
                Ron

ShopFloorTalk

30A spoolgun
                Spectrum 2050

Comment

Shadetree,
                  WOW!!! Good to know, and thanks for the advice
                  I'm not late...

Comment

ELLIS

I have used in the last 29 years most every make of saw on the market. Most of them wet horizontal ranging in size of 5x7 up to a fully automated Kalamazoo 48X48 or so.

For small production and one off cutting I love my Ellis 1600. Took little or no tuning (some parts were missing from shipping it traveled 3000 miles over the road) on arrival. It repeats beautifully and the blade swings past 45* each direction.

I have realized that dry cutting is so much better. No mess!!! Blade life is not compromised at all. no mess! and did I mention no mess

I have several blades, various tooth spacing so I can cut material like 1.5"OD .065 wall stainless tube as well as I can cut a W10X100.

In feed and out feed tables from Ellis are great.

The capacity on this saw is actually more than they advertise. I will cut fully a 10"X11" just as well as it cuts a 1/2"X1/2" and with no wet dripping mess.

I do a lot of hand rail work in stainless so the ability to swing the blade right or left and do it in an instant saves me several hours on each job.

Ellis all the way the most saw for the money, and no mess.
                    TJ______________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
                      ELLIS...I have realized that dry cutting is so much better. No mess!!! Blade life is not compromised at all. no mess! and did I mention no mess...Ellis all the way the most saw for the money, and no mess...
                      FF, you forgot to mention no coolant mess all over the place....
                      Ron

ShopFloorTalk

30A spoolgun
                      Spectrum 2050

Comment

Originally posted by shadetreewelder View Post
                        OOps your right

Comment

Looking at their website, how is the 1600 "portable" that the 1800 isn't? Both look like REALLY big machines!
                          I'm not late...

Comment

Originally posted by shadetreewelder View Post
                            Looking at their website, how is the 1600 "portable" that the 1800 isn't? Both look like REALLY big machines!
                            Hay Bert.
                            The 1600 is on rear wheels and the 1800 has no wheels.

Its not like the 1600 you would want to go far with it. In my shop I push it tight against the wall when not cutting long stock. If I have a job that has a lot of cutting I'll pull it out into the room and set up some stands for in and out feed.

I have considered taking it to the job site I have yet justified the effort that it would take.

Comment

Fat-Fab, thanks, I thought it was something like that! When I hear portable, I'm thinking mobile! Hassle to hook it up to a come-a-long to your ceiling to hoist it onto your truck eh??? I used to be the boat driver on a small research island and the plumber would have his "boy" take the "portable" pipe threading machine on and off my boat. Only weighed 350lbs
                              I'm not late...

Comment

Working...
                              X