Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m.k.swelding
    • Feb 2009

I would just buy new but if you dont want to do that just weld it with the stick.

Comment

• Laiky
      • Mar 2006

James:

Why not braze it?? Its the recommended repair for cast iron. You have a torch and a pack of Braze, maybe some extra flux isn't all that expensive. You already have the litter too.
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Millermatic 175
      Spectrum 375
      All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

• ace4059
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
        What brand vice is it? If it's a good one like a Wilton it should have a lifetime warranty. If it's a "Made in China" big heavy beast from HF of HD invest in a new one. You won't be sorry. Nothing's worse than a crappy vice or better than a quality one.
        I hate to get OT but I want everyone to know. I was going to get a Wilton vise and was planning to spend about $600 on one. Before I did I called them and talked to the customer service (which there customer service needs improvement). I asked about the "Lifetime" Warranty. They told me it is only for the "Lifetime" of the vise. So I asked them whats that and they were hesitant to answer. They told me "average Lifetime" of a vise is 6 (six) years, so It has a "lifetime" warranty of the vise. I asked if I buy a new vise and break it 8 years from now, Wilton will not fix it, or replace it then? The man said correct because the life of the vise was over at 6 years. I argued then that the "Lifetime" warranty was misleading, and advertising fraud, and told him that wilton doesnt offer a lifetime warranty, only a 6 year warranty. But before I got to arguing with him, I asked what was covered under there crappy 6 year warranty. He said it was the spindle (including the threads) and the nut. And the jaws were not included in the warranty if they broke.

Fortunately, I did not waste my money on a Wilton vise to beat on. I bought the large 6" vise from HF for $40 (jaws open to 8"). It has lasted me 4 years so far, and I beat it with a hammer on a regular basis just for fun.

But to answer the OP question, I would stick weld it, and if it breaks again, get a new HF vise.
        Last edited by ace4059; 06-04-2009, 02:15 AM. Reason: I thought the warranty was 7 years but I looked in the paper work and it is only 6 years

Comment

• MAC702
          • Sep 2002

I have what looks like that same Larin vice. I got it from Costco for less than $50. I don't think you could repair it for less than that.

Comment

• fun4now
            • Aug 2006

my first thought was to braze it, but i was concerned about it holding up??
            if i could replace it for $50 i would likely go that way. th HF vices i looked at were no where near the same thing.

costco ?? I'll have to see if i can find one, thanks.

i have a few sticks but nothing NI based, just the basic steel sticks.

I'm going to get it taken apart today i think, clean it up and take a look at what i have to work with.

on the bright side; i don't have any thing to lose by trying the brazing idea. if it doesn't work, i still just have a broken vice. no loss, no gain.

I'll take some pic's when i get it apart and cleaned up.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

• davedarragh
              • Oct 2007

"Vise Advice"

vice: " a serious moral failing, wicked or evil habits or conduct, corruption..."

vise: " a clamping apparatus of metal or wood, usually two jaws opened or closed by a screw............"

Webster's II New College Dictionary copyright 2001
              "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

• Miller Kirk
                • Sep 2005

HF Vise???

I would steer away from the HF vise, I bought one last year trying to stretch my dollar for as many things as I could. I striped the threads out of it in about 4 months and I wouldn't consider myself a frequent extreme user... Anvils are for beating, presses are for squeezing, and vises are for holding. I have broken too many vises using them for the above when I did use and abuse them more often..
                Kirk W.
                Weld Engineer
                Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

• seattle smitty
                  • Aug 2008

Aren't the better vises, which you can beat on to some reasonable extent, cast steel, where the cheapies are cast iron? I welded up one of the cheapies in a school a long time ago, after some students mistook it for an anvil. Not only was the slide broken, but so was the acme-threaded screw, which turned out to be cast iron, too! The students did abuse it, but it was a pretty poor piece to begin with, even though it was a big, stout-looking unit.

I can see why Wilton would be leery of offering much of a warranty, after seeing how vises are treated. Manufacturers of speed equipment for cars often give no warranty for anything beyond factory defects.

Comment

• fun4now
                    • Aug 2006

vice: " a serious moral failing
                    well that explains my use of the vice instead of vise.

i did do a fair amount of beating on it. i mean come on, it has that nice lil flat spot on the top for beating on. it has to be for beating on, its not a big enough flat spot to stack stuff on. so what else is a flat spot for ?? stacking on and beating on right.(2nd pic)

OK so back to the VISE . i got it apart and here are a few pic's. ( still have not cleaned it yet.)

I'm not seeing this as an easy braise job. any idea if i could get a replacement part ??

i want my vise back.... every time i go to weld or grind or almost anything i miss it!!!

i gotta agree about the HF versions .
                    Attached Files
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

• nfinch86
                      • Jul 2008

Vise or Vice ?

Hello; I Do Not think you are going to Braze that baby ?

Me Thinks some Ni Rod is in order for that repair !!!

............ Norm
                      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

• fun4now
                        • Aug 2006

better pic's.
                        sorry i lost them in the comp.

yep, i gotta agree its going to need NI rod.
                        Attached Files
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

• Agcadmin1
                          • Mar 2009

Larin vices are commonly sold at tractor supply and other big box stores we have quite a few that we bought and use once and a while for various things. My family owns a fairly large heavy grading,paving and utility company. We use these vices for many things, however the vices we use on a day to day basis in the shop and on the four mechanics and welding trucks are wilton. The Larin vices we have cost about 50 bucks and are probably cheaper to replace than repair, they are solid vices though especially for what you pay.

Comment

• Johnny
                            • Jul 2008

It's sad that it costs more than $50 for some guys to repair a vise.

No wonder GM is going tit s up so they can bust a union.
                            MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

Comment

• fun4now
                              • Aug 2006

i'll check TSC and see if i can find a replacement.
                              still sad to see it go, i gotta try to bring it back to life. even if its no longer as strong. 90% of the time it just holds something small so i can use a drill or flap disk on it. or hold some thing to weld.

i'll keep ya posted.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

• Miller Kirk
                                • Sep 2005

Broken Vise

At the fab shop I use to work at, we would use a Ni rod and every other pass burn in a C2-8018 on castings. We would also take our sweet time doing it so the inter pass temp did not get too hot and peen the tar out of it with an air hammer in between passes... an old mill wright taught me that, and while I really have not done any extensive research on it as a weld engineer, it seemed to work then. I would still go to church though before you started

k
                                Kirk W.
                                Weld Engineer
                                Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Working...
                                X