Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On fire most of the time
    replied
    I have myself a truck I'm thinking about making a bumper for...but no one really makes a model specific one.

It doesnt help that its a 1970 C20. Those road armor ones look pretty sick, but Im not sure how something like that would look on my c20.

I was planning on using some 1/4" for the main body, and doubling up for the winch/tow hook mounts.

Also planning on making a rear for it, same material, with an identical winch mount, just in case...

Some good ideas here though, definitely stuff to think about. Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• DetroitWelder
    replied
    Built this last summer for my work truck,it turns heads

Leave a comment:

• m.k.swelding
    replied
    Any time I build bumpers for anyone I mainly use 3/16 for the skins and 3/8 for the mounts and tow points. Most of my bumpers weigh around 120 to 15lbs...

Leave a comment:

• Bigiron
    replied
    I have a bumper made out of six inch c channel on the front of my toyota. It wraps around the side to meld into the line of the wheel wells. Quarter inch brackets bolt to the frame and a skid plate which angles down and back bolts up to the front of the frame. It has proven to be tough and reliable. I have hit pine trees up to eight inches thick and plowed through the mud and dirt with no problems. It's not the most cosmetically appealing bumper but it works. I took some flak for painting it yellow. My idea was that it was an attention getter to stay out of the way by other drivers on the highway. LOL!!

Leave a comment:

• Agcadmin1
    replied
    building a bumper

I'm about to build a bumper for my 2500hd GMC using 3/8" plate for the winch box and frame mounts. I am using a piece of 3" sch. 80 pipe as the base of the bumper with 3/16" diamond plate as a skin for the bumper with 1/4" gussets from the pipe to the plate. Like this one from tough country but with a winch box and winch.
    http://www.toughcountry.com/photos/a...1/P1030980.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Scarsman
    replied
    Ok, well that does it. I will definately go with lighter metal. I think I am over thinking the strength of it.

VIN MAN those are pretty good looking. Mine will not stick out the front that far. It is going to be somewhat low-profile. This is because a lot of the trails I go on here are VERY tight, and just a few inches sticking out can make a difference. My main goals with this one are for a rock solid tow point and to have maximum approach angle.

I plan to take pictures as I build it. I have a mock-up that I made out of heavy cardboard for choosing the shape and angles. I should be able to get the steel next week after payday, and then I'll be making smoke and sparks!

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Leave a comment:

• vin-man welding
    replied
    nice ride nocheepgas

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    I made one for my Jeep out of .250 wt rectangular tubing with 3/8" mounts and top plate:

Leave a comment:

• vin-man welding
    replied
    sorry i forgot to put link. http://www.roadarmor.com/site/index.php

Leave a comment:

• vin-man welding
    replied
    i think this are some of the nicest looking bumpers. (i'm going to copy for my truck ). post picturs of your bumper when you get done.

Leave a comment:

• vin-man welding
    replied
    Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    if you design the shape of it right, the bumper will be very durable even made mostly out of 1/8". 3/16" is plenty for a 10,000 truck, and FK is right, you don't want to make it so rigid that it hoses your frame.
    i agree.
    i didn't give any thickness before, but most of the after market stuff is 3/16 with a 1/4 bracing behind the center. 3/8 frame tie-in's

Leave a comment:

• Scarsman
    replied
    The truck is an '84 S-10 extended cab. It will have a 5" lift on it in the not too distant future. This bumper is not going to have a winch in it. I do not have a winch right now, and I figured when I do finaly have the money to spend on a winch, I will just build another bumper around it, and probably sell this one to someone else.

I realize the strains that can be placed on a frame. I have many years with trucks with plows, and I have seen what they can do to a truck!

I am not looking to make it like a dozer blade, I just want to be sure that if I hook onto it to pull someone out or get pulled out, it is not going to bend or distort.

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarsman View Post
    You are probably right. I figured the weight would be just under 100 pounds. Hmmm. Maybe I will think thinner. I just want it to be really bullet proof.
    if you design the shape of it right, the bumper will be very durable even made mostly out of 1/8". 3/16" is plenty for a 10,000 truck, and FK is right, you don't want to make it so rigid that it hoses your frame.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    You can "diamond" the frame if you get very brutal...the outside of the bumper becomes a lever. The bumper needs to be somewhat sacrificial to save the frame. Or it can be super heavy between the rails but less outside of them.
    Snowplowing can be a bit much for some frames also.
    I'm not trying to discourage you even one little bit, just arming you with a bit of another perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Scarsman
    replied
    You are probably right. I figured the weight would be just under 100 pounds. Hmmm. Maybe I will think thinner. I just want it to be really bullet proof.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X