Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bert
    replied
    ....my woman and i are going to tie the knot on a beach there one day when i can put my stinger down long enough
    thanks for the tip, and you better put down that stinger soon if she's a good one and you want to keep her!!!! Let me know a few months in advane, and I'll set up a few things for you!!!

Leave a comment:

• man of steel
    replied
    mill scale

hi bert, just a suggestion:if you have any scrap with mill scale on it try welding one that youve cleaned vs one that you havent, quite a difference in the quality of the weld and less chance of any impurities getting in there also. it must be nice in hawaii ,my woman and i are going to tie the knot on a beach there one day when i can put my stinger down long enough

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Man of Steel,
    thank you VERY much for your input!!!! I'll do that and compare it to the grinder and see which one holds out longer (I read your public profile, so I think you know what you're talking about also). Grinding stone s&cks

Leave a comment:

• man of steel
    replied
    ps

wire wheel brushes on the grinder work great at removing scale

Leave a comment:

• man of steel
    replied
    re mill scale

in my experience ive found that there is a world of difference in the quality of your welds just from removeing te scale off any parts your going to weld.ceirtain jobs demand for what they call white clean, no grease mill scale etc. Definately makes for nicer finishes take care

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    thank you gentlemen, been a big help!...yeah...NAPA???

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    sand blaster....yet another project i have yet to build. just too many some day projects and not enough some day's....

Leave a comment:

• Jolly Roger
    replied
    On the mill scale I have had good luck on smaller stuff just buffing it off with a wire wheel on a grinder. Sandblasting is best, but this works when you don't have one.

Leave a comment:

• TS-Off-Road
    replied
    Originally posted by HMW View Post
    Did you say you get it from NAPA?
    Oops, sorry, Car Quest. I get a lot of supplies from both. Guess I got 'em mixed up there!
    Last edited by TS-Off-Road; 08-13-2007, 12:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HMW
    replied
    Did you say you get it from NAPA?

Leave a comment:

• TS-Off-Road
    replied
    Originally posted by Bert View Post
    very cool! last question, seems obvious, but: the epoxy is a 2 parter? I've seen stuff they call epoxy but it's just a 1-part thing.
    Yes, it's a 2-part epoxy that I use. After you mix it, you have a certain amount of time to apply it and the color must also be applied within a couple of hours.

HMW, cold rolled is nice to work with and I have used it for many projects, but I still prep the surface the same way as I do hot rolled before painting.

Leave a comment:

• HMW
    replied
    We buy pipe called clean kote [I think] which has no mill scale on it and paints real well. Doesnt cost much more but dont have to clean up to paint. I think cold rolled has no mill scale and hot rolled does, I also think cold rolled is a little more expensive too. Hot rolled is a little softer it seems than cold so bending is a little easier. The dimensions on the cold rolled seem to be better though, that is if it matters that much to your project.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    very cool! last question, seems obvious, but: the epoxy is a 2 parter? I've seen stuff they call epoxy but it's just a 1-part thing.

Leave a comment:

• TS-Off-Road
    replied
    Originally posted by Bert View Post
    Yeesh! I wish I could sandblast everything! Over here, you're talking at least $100 for something small! Well, size of a coffee table for example
    Price jumps as you get bigger of course...and I don't have anywhere to sandblast. Do you sandblast yourself? What kind of epoxy primer do you use?I'm thinking of "do it yourself type...
    thanks,
    bert
    The smaller projects I'll sandblast behind the shop and paint myself. I have a siphon feed blaster with a 5gal pail as a hopper, good enough for the small stuff. Omni, I believe is the brand of epoxy and paint. I get it at Napa. For larger projects, like a trailer or a chassis, I have a local paint shop do all the dirty work. It adds to the cost but a quality finish that will last many years is worth it and most customers are willing to pay for it.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Ts-off-road

Yeesh! I wish I could sandblast everything! Over here, you're talking at least $100 for something small! Well, size of a coffee table for example
    Price jumps as you get bigger of course...and I don't have anywhere to sandblast. Do you sandblast yourself? What kind of epoxy primer do you use?I'm thinking of "do it yourself type...
    thanks,
    bert

Leave a comment:

Working...
X