• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genet
    started a topic What joint to use?

What joint to use?

Hello everyone,
    Planning a future project out of 22 or 24 g. SS sheet metal that will basically be a funnel shape that will be for Food service use. Initially I had hoped to spin it on a lathe but don't have the expertise to do it this way so have opted to weld it up. The question is- is a butt joint better or a lap joint? The joint doesn't have to be completely smooth but cannot have crevices where food can get trapped. I would appreciate your input.
    Thanks,
    Gene

• redintn
    replied
    Originally posted by genet View Post
    I wish a had a slip roll or a brake but I'll have to use good ole' fashioned "persuasion"!!!
    Thanks,
    Gene
    Thats gona be tuff, use a butt weld.
    Got a sheet metal shop close by and get them to roll it for you.

Leave a comment:

• genet
    replied
    Originally posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
    I second the butt weld, and grind inside smooth. Do you have a slip roll? This would be the best way to form this. Using a brake is also good.
    I wish a had a slip roll or a brake but I'll have to use good ole' fashioned "persuasion"!!!
    Thanks,
    Gene

Leave a comment:

• genet
    replied
    Originally posted by fabricator View Post
    What will be the dimensions ?
    5 1/2 in. diameter opening at the large end, 3 in. at the small end, and 5 inches tall. I have searched high and low for a pre- made one but either the openings were the wrong size or the taper was too steep.
    Thanks,
    Gene

Leave a comment:

• wrenchnride247
    replied
    I second the butt weld, and grind inside smooth. Do you have a slip roll? This would be the best way to form this. Using a brake is also good.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I would butt it with a small gap then grind it smooth on the inside...Bob

Leave a comment:

• fabricator
    replied
    What will be the dimensions ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X