• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ichikuma
    • Sep 2005

Squaring the end on tubing?

Hi All,

I'm making a gantry crane and the legs sit square on top of some channel. I was just wondering if anybody had some tricks for squaring the end of the tube. If it matters, the tube is 3"x3"x3/16"

Thanks for any tricks you guys might have.

Craig
  • vin-man welding
    • Oct 2008

I'd just use a speed square and drew a line all the way around, then cut.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Comment

I just use my coldcut saw. I built a rest for when I make cuts and the rest is pretty exact. My cuts on4" 3/16" tube always come out to +- .020

Comment

• ichikuma
        • Sep 2005

I actually cut the pieces on my bandsaw but it's not very accurate, which is probably due to user error. Using a square and grinding each side until it's all square is probably how I'm going to do it. Would love to have a cold saw, .020" is amazing. I just wasn't sure if there was an easier way instead of grinding them.

Thanks for the input, gotta work on getting one of those cold saws .

Comment

• redintn
          • Dec 2008

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

I found one of these cheap, 100 bucks.
          Little work to adjust and it cuts square.
          Be safe
          Jeff

Give more than you get and
          you will get more than ya need.
          This is true for the good and bad
          that life puts out.

Comment

• DSW
            • Feb 2008

On the bandsaw I can see several possible causes for not getting square cuts.

Number one would be a misadjusted fence. Or you have a ton of crud on the bed /fence. those chips can effect how square the saw cuts. I always make it a point to brush off the bed it I have to make a critical cut.

Number 2 would be unsupported work, both on the infeed and out feed sides if it's long. Often the change weight as the piece starts to drop will cause it to shift in the saw and cause an unsquare cut. Be sure that you have the piece well supported and level with the machine surface on the infeed side and leave just a small bit of room on the waste side so the blade doesn't bind.

Number 3 is a bad blade. It's possible that the set on the teeth on one side has been lost and the blade will wander away from that side of the cut towards the good side that is cutting easier. If your blade is old or if you know that you possibly damaged the blade when it bound up or cut very hard material, try a new blade. I know it takes a bit of trial and error to set up my saw again after I change the angle.

Comment

• vin-man welding
              • Oct 2008

you can just us you saw and cut one side at a time. less grinding.
              TB 325
              TB 302
              dynasty 200sd
              spoolmatic 30a/wc24
              suitcase x-treme 12vs
              miller 211
              evolution rage 2

Comment

• JSFAB
                • Feb 2009

In any case, a slightly off-square cut, is not an excuse, for an off-square fitting and weld.
                Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

• TS-Off-Road
                  • Jan 2007

Welding a crooked tube is one thing. Welding a tube crooked is another.

Comment

• JSFAB
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by TS-Off-Road View Post
                    Welding a crooked tube is one thing. Welding a tube crooked is another.
                    True statement.
                    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

• ichikuma
                      • Sep 2005

Very true and I could have welded the tube square on the channel but I like a good fit up. My thoughts are a job worth doing is worth doing right which is why I spent around 2 hours getting my saw sorted out because it's worth doing right in the end.

Thanks for everyones input, getting the saw sorted was a much better solution than grinding the ends square.

Comment

• FusionKing
                        • Nov 2006

You can weld a square cut tube crooked

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

• JSFAB
                          • Feb 2009

Fact is, if you're fabricating something (aside of butting together high pressure, with code welds, pipe), most cases it's actually easier to end up with square/precise angles, after welding, if the cut is slightly off. Start the tack, where it touches, then you have plenty of room to tap it whichever way, to compensate for the pull.

Comment

• aametalmaster
                            Chairman Of The Board
                            • Sep 2005

When i worked in the big factory and did a lot of tube and beam fitting to steel plates. I just took a combo sq and found the high corner on the tube or beam than i would tack a little booger with the mig on the low side and touch it with a hammer or a small grinder until all corners were the same. Then the part would sit flat on the plate. Sometimes the tubes or beams were ready cut at the steel place and they don't give a rats butt if they are square or not...Bob
                            Bob Wright

Comment

• SmokinPRanch
                              • Dec 2009

One outfit I worked for we used to mill all our cuts. Even for simple frames, cut slightly over and mill to size. Measure our lengths with a dial caliper. Dead square and within thousandths for size.

Complete waste of time for most weldments. But it's just what you did there.

Sounds like you have the time and determination. If you want it square you can always use an "apprentice mill"....the largest flat file you have and a good try square.

Files are slow and forgiving. Leave a nice finish. Give you a personal interaction with the metal. Allows for philosophical reflection of life in general. Makes you appreciate the power tools made to replace it sometimes.

Al
                              Miller Dialarc 250 HF
                              Lincoln Classic 300D
                              AutoCAD 2010...Paper Is Cheaper Than Metal
                              Hypertherm Powermax 45
                              Milwaukee & Hilti Power Tools
                              John Deere Equipment
                              Paints and Quarterhorses
                              Billy Cook Roping Saddle
                              Billy Cook Reining Saddle
                              Our YouTube Channel

Comment