Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size channel for neck on gooseneck trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barebackjake
    started a topic what size channel for neck on gooseneck trailer?

what size channel for neck on gooseneck trailer?

what size channel should i use for the hitch neck for a 7000lb 18' trailer? i got a 18' bumperpull that i want to convert to a gooseneck and need to know what size channel to use i was thinkin 6" #8 for it and have the gussets all made out of the 6" also for the bracing at the 90's

• barebackjake
    replied
    dang hijackers!! lol

thats what i was thinkin was 5' strait, then turn in and down to the hitch and run triangle gussets probably a foot out from the corner. ill try to get a drawin in a little bit. the trailer frame is angle iron. i dont know how far back the axles are exactly theres probably 12' center of the axles to the front of the deck and the last 6' at the back

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    And the wood, bolted to each crossmember,,,, does add something to the strength of the trailer,,,, keeps the crossmembers from rolling ...... Not a whole lot,,,,, but still significant.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    Sorry, I am starting a new thread. It appears I hi-jacking this one...

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    Just pull the hubs off,,,,, either measure the spindles, or make note of the bearing numbers, and compare to any axle supplier's specs on-line.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    My axles tubes are 2 3/8" if that helps. From my research it looks like those are 3500lb.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    I am fixing that dip. Running new c channel the length of the trailer. I am trying to pull up this floor now. I hate when the floors are bolted down. I like it better when the wood sits under a piece of angle front and rear. All new gussets are going in. Down anyone know how to figure out the axle weight. This guy told me two 3500lb but I just wanna double check.

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    And oh, yeah, but I'm sure you noticed, and not a huge big deal to fix,,,, pretty good dip on the Right rear corner ......

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    Joey,,,,, first thing I'd do, if I had that trailer, is cut those cute little plates off the joints,,,,, see what, if anything, was under them.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    A lot of manufactures use I-beam frame with C-channel bulkhead and neck. PJ, Big Tex, Corn Pro just to name a few.

Most goosenecks I’ve seen the neck is 5 feet long with a 30° down turn with an additional 3 feet to the coupler, for a total of 8 feet.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    There were 36 pictures of conversions. Here is a link to them. Too many to post. They are still uploading to photobucket so this link may not work right away....
    http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...%20Coversions/

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    Depends on the axle location, and how much you want to cross-brace and gusset the gooseneck. Kind of an open-ended question,,,,, pics and a drawing of what your plan is, would help.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    I was in the same boat as you until last weekend. I was going to cut off the tongue of my 18 Car hauler and weld a gooseneck on. Instead I traded straight across for this monstacity. I cut the dovetail off my old trailer before trading it for this one. I plan on cutting all the bull**** off this thing to make it a dovetail car hauler. I couldn't pass up the deal. It had two 3500lb axles, both with brakes, actual trailer tires, break-a-way system, 82" between fenders and 16' deck, (plus 2' more for my dovetail). Anyhow this trailer has 6" channel for the neck. I you need any pictures or measurements off this thing just let me know. I am not saying this thing is built right, I am just saying it is built. I will include all the pictures here. Also I had been saving pictures of others coverting their car haulers to gooseneck. I will post those too. Hope this helps. P.S. I would check around to trading because that steel is gonna be expensive. My guy no longer had a truck so no gooseneck hitch. Also check out this trailer. My dream.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110284112581

Leave a comment:

Working...
X