Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bodybagger
    • Feb 2008

It looks like that steeldeck stuff is 1" square tubing welded into a warren truss.

I wonder if the one holding up the yellow sportscar is 14 gauge?

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

• uninformed
      • Feb 2009

as a carpenter it would make sense or me to recomend "lumber", but as its going to moved about and reused i would go for a frame work of steel or alluminium and cover with ply or mdf...

1 inch square tubing could be strong enough if the design is correct. build it like a truss. you can even make some mounts for castors so its easier to move, but make sure they can filp up or be removed so it doesnt roll around unwantedly.

the beauty of this is it will get you using different materials and give you a feel for how they do different jobs.

in Australia stairs must comply to a code, that code varies from domestic to industrial and commercial.

basic domestic stairs must meet the fomula:

2R + G = 550mm-750mm

R = rise and G = going(tread)

now the rise is from the surface of tread to the next tead surface and the going is the face of the rise to the next rise face.

there are minimum and maximums for each, Rise = 110-190mm and going is 240-300mm

im sure if you find out your local building codes not only will it put you on the path to designing something with safety built in, it will make it a comfortable "flight" to climb/decend... one of the important factors in stair construction is that every rise and going is exactly the same, a small difference in rise, say 1/4inch in one rise of a flight, can cause an accident. it only takes 2-3 steps for the human body to calculate the required movement to climb/decend a flight of stairs....

good luck

Serg
      not sure you can call what i do welding....

Comment

• Broccoli1
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
        It looks like that steeldeck stuff is 1" square tubing welded into a warren truss.

I wonder if the one holding up the yellow sportscar is 14 gauge?
        Yup.

We use the Steel Deck system all the time.

"Evenly Distributed Load Capacity: 4,000 lbs Per Deck"
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment