Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dabar39
    replied
    Bert, I think I saw that trailer in the Wal-Mart parking lot last night, like you I wish I had my camera with me. The trailer was made from 4" channel and the bottom web of the channel was completely gone. They had a piece of 2"x3" angle clamped to the frame with u-bolts to mount the spring hangers. There is just way to much scary stuff traveling down our roadways. Dave

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Bert

Hey! I know, I know....I should carry a camera with me all the time

funny you say that. i started doing just that about 3 months ago, i almost never leave home without it. ya never know what you might see that you want to reproduce later for fun or in this case a trailer that would be a neat one to show.
    my mail box truck project was from a pic i took on my way home from the VA hospital. ya just never know what ya might want a pic of.

Leave a comment:

• down19992000
    replied
    huh?

Leave a comment:

• Anti-GMAW
    replied
    Originally posted by down19992000 View Post
    i agree with what blackfoot said. i think that everyone should think a little more before they type (my self included) or at least reread each post before the hit the submit button.
    Speaking of spelling it's blackwolf.

Sorry, just joking. I couldn't resist.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Dabar39

Hey! I know, I know....I should carry a camera with me all the time
    But here it goes....yesterday I followed a trailer on the way home, (I've never seen a boat trailer wiggle SO BADLY!!!), to see if it would stop by the marina and saw this trailer picking up an old "grandpa" type boat. About 22' long, at LEAST 7' wide and looked like it would weigh at LEAST 6,000LBS. Fiberglass looks like there were WAY too many layers added on over the years!!!
    Trailer: frame 3" channel iron, with 5 cross frames (3" channel also), dual axle, and all the cross frames were SOOO rusty, I had to watch them load the boat to see if the trailer would just collapse!!! Bummer it didn't, 'cause now it's on the road again!
    Where are the cops when you want them!!! All I could think, was "where's Dave!!"

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    "But **** you've only known how to read for what... a couple of years "
    Which is what?? A couple of more years than what most weldors read?? I question Journeymen where I work, I don't think they finished 1 welding book...EVER!! I'll mention something to them, they get all pissy and tell me why am I trying to use big words!!!
    yeesh...just trying to keep us "little" apprentices down...

Leave a comment:

• littlefuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by wireburner View Post
    [/U]

I have learned more from mistakes (trial & error) than books I have a few welding books but not that many , mostly learned from my cousin
    But **** you've only known how to read for what... a couple of years

Leave a comment:

• wireburner
    replied
    opps! i forgot ,

WELCOME aboard JollyRoger!

Leave a comment:

• Jolly Roger
    replied
    Hey thanks for the welcome ya'll. I was very fortunate in having some excellent teachers, and figure I owe it to them to pass along what I have learned. I also like to learn, so I read everything I can on this subject.

Leave a comment:

• down19992000
    replied
    i agree with what blackwolf said. i think that everyone should think a little more before they type (my self included) or at least reread each post before the hit the submit button.
    Last edited by down19992000; 08-12-2007, 02:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Another with experience

Jolly Roger,
    Welcome and aloha!!!! Always HAPPY to have another experienced person join the board!!!

Leave a comment:

• wireburner
    replied
    [/U]
    Originally posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Hi ya'll I never went to school to learn welding. I was the son of an oilfield welder in New Mexico who happened to own the company. I became the helper at eight, was cutting parts by ten, welding at twelve, and running a rig at fifteen. My dad used to say, and I concur wholeheartedly, that every SOB who ever struck an arc thinks he's a welder. I was the last person around to decide I really was a welder, and that took over 30 years of learning and finding out a weld I made held 126,000 psi (gas well blowout). It finally hit me that I must know what I am doing. If I had known their intentions I would have refused the job, and still would today.

I am not surprised in the least by the trailer in the pics. In fact I have one in line to be made right that appears to have been built by the same person.

I've been down here in NOLA since Sep' 2005. You would not believe some of the things I have seen called trailers, or some of the things I have seen done to equipment. It's not just here, but it was magnified like you wouldn't believe. No I didn't come here to get rich, but because I had wanted to for ten years. I wasn't doing a whole lot anyway seeing as how all the paychecks for my really good fab job said Enron on them. Same thing for my business partner, except he was a field engineer for them.

I would like to tell the youngsters welcome to the world of the rod burner, and a little advice (for them as well as anyone else who doesn't already have a copy). Get yourself a copy of 'The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding' from the Lincoln Foundation. You can order it off of their website for I think $15.00. It is the best reference on welding I have ever found and I have read a lot of books on welding (learned more that way than I ever did from trial and error). They don't get too detailed, but they tell you exactly where to go for even more good info.

I am always happy to offer advice to those who ask, or discuss issues based on personal experience. It might take awhile due to not always having a lot of time for this, but I will always answer when I can.
    I have learned more from mistakes (trial & error) than books I have a few welding books but not that many , mostly learned from my cousin

Leave a comment:

• dabar39
    replied
    Jolly Roger, Welcome to the board, sounds like you've been around the block once or twice. Dave

Leave a comment:

• Jolly Roger
    replied
    Hi ya'll, and OMG, not another one, LMAO!!!

Hi ya'll I never went to school to learn welding. I was the son of an oilfield welder in New Mexico who happened to own the company. I became the helper at eight, was cutting parts by ten, welding at twelve, and running a rig at fifteen. My dad used to say, and I concur wholeheartedly, that every SOB who ever struck an arc thinks he's a welder. I was the last person around to decide I really was a welder, and that took over 30 years of learning and finding out a weld I made held 126,000 psi (gas well blowout). It finally hit me that I must know what I am doing. If I had known their intentions I would have refused the job, and still would today.

I am not surprised in the least by the trailer in the pics. In fact I have one in line to be made right that appears to have been built by the same person.

I've been down here in NOLA since Sep' 2005. You would not believe some of the things I have seen called trailers, or some of the things I have seen done to equipment. It's not just here, but it was magnified like you wouldn't believe. No I didn't come here to get rich, but because I had wanted to for ten years. I wasn't doing a whole lot anyway seeing as how all the paychecks for my really good fab job said Enron on them. Same thing for my business partner, except he was a field engineer for them.

I would like to tell the youngsters welcome to the world of the rod burner, and a little advice (for them as well as anyone else who doesn't already have a copy). Get yourself a copy of 'The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding' from the Lincoln Foundation. You can order it off of their website for I think $15.00. It is the best reference on welding I have ever found and I have read a lot of books on welding (learned more that way than I ever did from trial and error). They don't get too detailed, but they tell you exactly where to go for even more good info.

I am always happy to offer advice to those who ask, or discuss issues based on personal experience. It might take awhile due to not always having a lot of time for this, but I will always answer when I can.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    i think we all have been guilty of posting when we had some thing outside the forum bothering us. this is a good time to use the delete button so as not to leave behind our worst moments for every one to see. i have posted when upset or just plain pissed off at some one be it on or off the board only to later come back and see i went a little too far. its those times the delete button come in handy. we should use it when we see we have gone to far.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X