No announcement yet.

looking for advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • looking for advice

    hey there tired of making the man money. want to start a welding rig but need some info on the necessities such as insurance and licenses. have been welding for a while now and have most of the tools, but don't know any riggers.

  • #2
    In New Mexico you have to have a contractors license. If you have less than 8 employees you may not be required to have workers comp. If you want to contract with the oil companies even a one man outfit will be required to carry workers comp, and you will have to have at least 2 million dollars blanket general liability insurance. Otherwise you can sub under someone elses license and insurance, but he is gonna get 50%, and you will only work when he has more work than his crews can handle.

    Here in Louisiana even though there is a federal exemption for workers comp for the self-employed and partnerships providing each partner owns at least 10% you will not get a contractors license without proof of workers comp period. For commercial contracting you are not required to have a license on projects under $40,000, residential is $8500. The state recommends you have at least $100,000 blanket liability. Of course insurance and licensing requirements are up to the party you are contracting with. To top it off you cannot get anyone to write you a workers comp policy here at this time.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

    Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.