pics

Maybe this would work for you???
    Attached Files

Comment

• dabar39
      • Mar 2007

TopRet

Nice detail work on the roses, very nice looking gate. dave
      If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
      Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

• TopRet
        • Jul 2007

Thank you Dave. I just need to get a little more consistent with my leaves though.

Comment

• LarryM
          • Apr 2007

Best Blacksmith site on the web

Wireburner checkout this site. www.iforgeiron.com Click on blueprints at top of the page. You'll find prints for coal and gas forges. You can learn alot asking the smiths questions in forum. Tuesday nights they have a live blueprint chat. Nice friendly bunch people.

You're go to like this one

LarryM
          Miller Bobcat 250
          Try not to spend $10.00 worth time $.10 job

Comment

• Bert
            • Mar 2007

I'm reading a lot of you guys using coke for your forges...
            STAY OFF THE DRUGS, MAN!!!!!!!!
            a lot of people here use propane for their forges here. Mostly glass blowing, but I met a guy that has one for forging steel. I didn't think about coal, thinking it wouldn't be hot enough unless you're constantly blowing on it.
            Thanks for all the tips and websites. I'll read through them and learn
            I'm not late...
            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

• r90s
              • Apr 2007

ok now

Not really wanted to be too serious here, I do hafta say using coal, coke, or charcoal is like deciding on which welding process to use. Maybe it could also be compared to using a carburizing flame or an oxidizing flame.
              Even good ole coal contains varying amounts of mosture, sulfur and other thing that can affect the forging process. Hence, some coal is unsuitable for blacksmithing.
              Careful with That Axe, Eugene

Comment

• wireburner
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Iron man View Post
                There use to be a coal yard right in greeneville, but they closed about 2 years ago. so now when I get it I go to rogersville but he is only open in the winter months so I always buy by the ton to make sure I have enough to get through the summer plus it is alot cheaper in the long run. I am sure there are yards closer to you than rogersville though, all you need is stoker coal and all stoker coal is, is small pieces 3/4 or smaller some say not to use dirty coal or make sure it comes from a specific place. But the only time that I see it matters is when forge welding you need a good clean fire and very hot.
                I also have a propane forge which is also easily built with a few items from hardware store, I use for small stuff but still prefer the coal fire. I live in the woods no one can see my shop or house from road so the neighbors use to think I was crazy having a coal fire going in July LOL. When you get the forge built learning to build a good fire is the key. send pics when you get it done.
                Thanks Iron man , how much would shipping be from the penncoal place to Wartburg,Tn 37887 , a 50lb. bag

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

• Iron man
                  • Nov 2006

You could buy coke but all that is is burnt coal, just buy coal then after every fire you will have coke just take this out and save for when needed
                  the only time I use coke is when starting a fire I use a few chunks of it and when forge welding use the larger pieces to cover top of fire to keep the heat in.
                  sigpichttp://www.sharpsiron.com

Comment

• Bert
                    • Mar 2007

r90s and Ironman,
                    thanks for the info When I'm ready, I'll look and learn from those websites!!!
                    I know Keawe wood (mesquite) over here burns hotter than Kingsford charcoal, need to learn about the other kinds of "coke"
                    I'm not late...

Comment

• wireburner
                      • Dec 2006

oK I went to Dollywood over the weekend & I was watching the blacksmith & he seen my Miller shirt & we got to talking & I was asking about smithing & He told me about this place and they have lessons free it is about 2 hours away or so and I`am going to order some coal from them also.http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/ I`am thinking bout building a small shed to blacksmith in . Also up at Cades cove in a few weekends is a blacksmith class thing for FREE .
                      Just thought I would keep y`all updated

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

• Aug 2007

Wireburner,
                        I envy you for where you spent the weekend. A lot of people like to head for the coast but me, I rather spend my time in the mountains. Up until a few years ago we would spend several weekends out of summer in Cherokee on the reservation. We went to Dollywood one year and I saw one of the most beautiful knives I have ever seen made out of a railroad spike. The guy made it while we stood there and watched. He would put it in his forge and heat it up and then beat on it a little, and then put it back. I marveled at the way he changed that rough looking railroad spike into such a pretty knife. You can learn a lot from those mountain people.

Probably the best swimming hole I have ever been in is between Cades Cove and Cherokee. My family always knew when we went to the mountains we were going to that swimming hole. That was Daddy's part of the vacation.
                        Oh, we also went to Smoky Mountain Knife works too.
                        sigpic 6010
                        If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Comment

• Bert
                          • Mar 2007

Wireburner,
                          GOOD FOR YOU!!! At your age, learn as MUCH as you can!!! Wish I had that opportunity, 'specially for free!!! Hmmm...I wonder if you can go to like 5 classes, all free??!!!
                          Good going on your research...and wearing your Miller shirt
                          I'm not late...

Comment

• KBar
                            • Jul 2007

Talk about a forge. Here is a great web site where they build them out of propane tanks. Looks like a great forge. If I had the time, I would try building one for myself.

Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
                            Hobart Handler 187
                            Dewalt Chop Saw
                            4" Air Grinder
                            Die Grinder
                            Rigid Drill Press
                            Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

• wireburner
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              Wireburner,
                              GOOD FOR YOU!!! At your age, learn as MUCH as you can!!! Wish I had that opportunity, 'specially for free!!! Hmmm...I wonder if you can go to like 5 classes, all free??!!!
                              Good going on your research...and wearing your Miller shirt
                              Well he said you could go as much as you liked , Yeah see what happens when you wear your miller stuff
                              6010 I live within a 1 hour and a 1/2 of the smokies

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

• wireburner
                                • Dec 2006

I got to do my first blacksmith project yesterday it was a hanger thing it has everthing in smithing besides forge welding ,Iwent to a A guy on the Hobart board `s shop and probally go this Sat. to

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X