X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• down19992000
    started a topic snapon ya212a mig welder

snapon ya212a mig welder

looking for info on a snapon ya212a mig welder. are they worth a darn or not? any help would be appreciated.

• barnumb
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    See, snappy isn't giving a voltage at a rated amp. Instead they are saying
    Nema @ 60% @ 200 amps. Now at 200 amps, that unit draws around the 32 amp mark on 230Vac. They say the draw is 20 amp at 185 amp on 230. and its some what more than that actually, but even if that were true, thats a 12 amp input draw with a mere 15 amps of output.

They are upping their facts and figures favorably

Have I worked on them and welded with them, yes, and they are found mostly in autobody shops and garages. welds ok, I wouldn't think of using it for structural fabrication though, strickly, ornamental, and body panels only.

Better off comparing this unit to a Miller 210, or 200.

Parts are next to impossible to get, guns are horrible, and alot of redundant circuitry makes this unit a real treat to repair.
    Parts are easy to get for the YA 212 Call Snap On or CK Systemnatics and order them. Just bought a new whip and spool gun a week ago.

The one i bought 20 years ago has built numerous trailers and fixed countless peices of farm and construction equipment (including fabing a backhoe boom heavy part not sheet metal) I have yet to have a part I welded with it fail.

Leave a comment:

• barnumb
    replied
    Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    So I ask again....Duty cycle or quality of weld? (Hint: pick one)
    My post would have been related to duty cycle. I have not used a 211 (I own a 251) but I can tell you the YA212 will lay a fine looking bead on 3/8 material no problem.

That said I would buy a Miller over a Snap On any day. On the other hand If you can buy a Snap On YA212 for five or six hunderd it will serve you fine.

Thats all I got for you Doughboy.

(Hint: dont buy all the stuff you read on internet forums.)

"The trouble with information on the internet is it's hard to determine if it's accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Leave a comment:

• Doughboyracer
    replied
    Originally posted by barnumb View Post
    Snap On YA212 is 60% at 230, Miller 211 is 30% at 150. Not even close.
    So I ask again....Duty cycle or quality of weld? (Hint: pick one)

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    See, snappy isn't giving a voltage at a rated amp. Instead they are saying
    Nema @ 60% @ 200 amps. Now at 200 amps, that unit draws around the 32 amp mark on 230Vac. They say the draw is 20 amp at 185 amp on 230. and its some what more than that actually, but even if that were true, thats a 12 amp input draw with a mere 15 amps of output.

They are upping their facts and figures favorably

Have I worked on them and welded with them, yes, and they are found mostly in autobody shops and garages. welds ok, I wouldn't think of using it for structural fabrication though, strickly, ornamental, and body panels only.

Better off comparing this unit to a Miller 210, or 200.

Parts are next to impossible to get, guns are horrible, and alot of redundant circuitry makes this unit a real treat to repair.

Leave a comment:

• barnumb
    replied
    Snap On YA212 is 60% at 230, Miller 211 is 30% at 150. Not even close.

Leave a comment:

• Doughboyracer
    replied
    Originally posted by barnumb View Post
    While the Snappy wont hang with the 251 it will certianly out perform the 211.
    Duty cycle or quality of weld?

Leave a comment:

• barnumb
    replied
    New guy here just reading through the threads. I have owned both a Snap On ya 212 and a Miller 251. While the Snappy wont hang with the 251 it will certianly out perform the 211. The 212 is made by CK Systymatics which is good most Snap On welders are made buy Century and are junk. I currently know three people who have had them for years with very few problems. New I would buy the a Miller but for 5 or 600 cant beat a used ya212.

Leave a comment:

• Jioez
    replied
    Snap On

The best thing about my Snap On welder (Systematics) is that whenever it had a problem, I simply called Systematics and they walked and talked me through finding the problem. Several times the repair didn't cost me any parts and the few times it actually did.....the parts were in my hand the next morning....and not at a rip off price. I can't say the same for the Blue welder (Miller) with the expensive board that never got repaired due to cost. It cost me $125 to find out it wasn't worth repair. The Hobart ate up diodes on a steady basis, and the drive motor lasted about two years at best each time.

Leave a comment:

• Slash
    replied
    Originally posted by 1930case View Post
    Snap-on service varies dramatically by the local franchisee driving the truck.

The world is full of welding machines. NO WAY I want to depend on Snap-on to support anything but hand tools in my area.
    Agreed. I'd never go to my LWS to buy a tool box either.

Leave a comment:

• 1930case
    replied
    Snap-on service varies dramatically by the local franchisee driving the truck.

The world is full of welding machines. NO WAY I want to depend on Snap-on to support anything but hand tools in my area.

Leave a comment:

• Kant-weld
    replied
    Snap-on Muscle Mig welder

I personally own a snap-on welder stock# MM140SL original cost on line $3,081.85. However I paid $1,500.00 craigslist and the machine welds great. I have used miller welders and lincoln and they are great welders too. Im just saying that my snap-on with a 100% duty cycle has yet to fail (3yrs) and no repairs needed. I guess I got a good welder out of the stock and I can pick up tips and other minor stuff from my local welding shop. So all the bashing on hear well I call it being brand loyal. I may own a rebadged something but its got a pretty red and white paint job LMAO.....I dont care what the name is if it does what I need then i'll use it period.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Leave a comment:

• Jioez
    replied
    Ya212a

My Snap On YA212A has out performed all the rest. Like somebody else posted, it was made by CK Systematics out of PA. If I ever need anything, I get it from them....however, since I have owned it, it hasn't cost me more than $300 other than tips and a few liners. For the last 24 years it has worked side by side with a Hobart and a Miller. All three were bought within the same year and as of now....the only one still welding is the Snap On. The Miller needs an $800 circut board (for the second time), and the Hobart is just fried. They all did the same work. They all used about one roll of 035 wire in about three weeks. The Hobart came in second as far as down time and if I had to guess, maybe $2,000 in repairs over the years, but a lot of down time. Not so good on the Miller....it cost the most and was broke down the most....probably $3,500 in repairs over the years. All in all.....the Snap On always took up the slack when the others were down for repair. I tried an Esab last year and before we could even fill out the demo papers, it quit, so the guy took it back.

Leave a comment:

• Slash
    replied
    Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    Anyone else's bull malarkie meter going off?
    Maybe he just doesn't know any better.

Leave a comment:

• big mike
    replied
    "Anyone else's bull malarkie meter going off?"

Yup,but I figured if he's happy welding with a boat anchor who am I to yip

Man I wish Miller would spring for some decent smileys.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X