- I do not think that the 'blue blaze' header looks very good. The
    dark blue text in the 'l" and 'u' of "Blue" are hard to see against the
    black background. The light-blue 'e' is ok. Also, the multiple
    colors in "Blue Blaze" makes it look like something that some
    teenager did.

- The American Flag at the bottom of thepages looks cheesy. I've
    nothing against Old Glory, but it looks like you took an image from
    someplace and blew it up too much -- it shows the pixelation
    (the squareish artifacts) that looks bad.

- On the "about us" page, you say "...deliver to you if your in a 25..."
    "your" means "belonging to you". "You are" is you're. AND Immediately
    after that you say that you prefer dropoff/pickup by local customers.
    It can send a mixed message. It can also come across as "we don't
    want to have to drive someplace or call up bubba's trucking company
    for you". I would never put something that a potential customer does not
    want to read/see/hear on a web page.

These are just my opinions.
    Good luck

frank

Comment

• All-about-design
      • Jul 2007

All Great Information

First of all...and this is personal preference, but, in general the animated part of the header is somewhat distracting. A nice clean, powerful header with your logo and possibly your contact information is far more attention grabbing.

If you want motion on your page use it further down. Let it peek up from the bottom to grab someones attention to get them to go further down the page.

Most of the work I do is custom furniture design and most is strictly design then I have the items built elsewhere as I do not have the time in most cases to build the items. I also do graphic design. What is the point of this statement? The point is that you need to be careful when you start talking about your rates. Why because a time frame does not really mean anything. what if I charge $100 an hour and you charge $50 and hour. Does that mean it is going to cost 1/2 as much to build something? Probably not. Try to base it on what the job is. You can use your hourly rate but just tell thim it is going to cost whatever amount for the project. Occassionally a T & M project may need to be done purely on shop rate but often we get caught up in a fictitious importance of this number.

And as was said...spelling errors...

I always see web pages as a work in progress. They should always be changing and evolving. Look at other sites and see what they do that you like and figure out how to make it work for you! Remeber this is a reflection of you. Keep it professional and let it make a statement for you!

As I said these are just my opinions but I hope they help!
      ~ed~

Have you ever noticed that enough is usually too much?!

Comment

• Grumpy
        • Jul 2007

Trep813. Now you have the opinions of other professionals from this site. The other site was concerned about the look of your website. This site is worried about your insurance/liability and your shop rates.

Between the two sites you should have enough information to 1) redesign the site for an upgraded presentation. 2) Re-evaluate your susceptibility to potential legal action. And 3) and impetus to modify your asking price/rate.

Good Luck.
        The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Comment

• Bert
          • Mar 2007

Looks like you are fixing your website as you're getting excellent feedback.
          Just to remind you, in your "About Us" page, your "rebuilds" aren't linked yet.
          I'm sure you're going to do it, and show at least 1 pic (or more) of each of those links/underlined titles....As far as the people and stores you thank, I'm not sure, but do you need permission from them? (not like they shoudn't mind, but I thought you did....)
          good job, can't wait to see the finished product
          bert
          I'm not late...
          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

• Bodybagger
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
            Unless you're a Florida PE, the advertising design work will eventually get you in trouble.

Exemption (from Florida Statutes)

(c) Regular full-time employees of a corporation not engaged in the practice of engineering as such, whose practice of engineering for such corporation is limited to the design or fabrication of manufactured products and servicing of such products.

That's the closest exemption you get. Most states specifically exempt the manufacturing industry from requiring a PE license, but note that the Florida statute specifically says CORPORATION. In other words, the little guys do not enjoy this exemption unless they incorporate.

Ironically, they also exclude defense and aerospace designers from requiring a PE.

Funny. The sole proprietor who advertises that he designs custom necktie racks is required to have a professional engineering license but the guy designing a critical steering component for a production automobile doesn't need to.

I guess that's why automobiles kill over 40,000 people a year and necktie racks kill too few to hear about. Or maybe it's a statement about the relative lobbying power of the automotive, defense, and aerospace industries versus that of your average small business.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
            Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
            "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
            "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
            "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

• Fishy Jim
              • Oct 2006

I agree with Bert, it's looking a lot better.
              Syncrowave 250DX
              Invison 354MP
              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
              Smith O/A rig
              And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

• Broccoli1
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
                Exemption (from Florida Statutes)

(c) Regular full-time employees of a corporation not engaged in the practice of engineering as such, whose practice of engineering for such corporation is limited to the design or fabrication of manufactured products and servicing of such products.

That's the closest exemption you get. Most states specifically exempt the manufacturing industry from requiring a PE license, but note that the Florida statute specifically says CORPORATION. In other words, the little guys do not enjoy this exemption unless they incorporate.

Ironically, they also exclude defense and aerospace designers from requiring a PE.

Funny. The sole proprietor who advertises that he designs custom necktie racks is required to have a professional engineering license but the guy designing a critical steering component for a production automobile doesn't need to.

I guess that's why automobiles kill over 40,000 people a year and necktie racks kill too few to hear about. Or maybe it's a statement about the relative lobbying power of the automotive, defense, and aerospace industries versus that of your average small business.
                You need a PE to design a Decorative railing, fence or gate?
                Ed Conley
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

Comment

• Broccoli1
                  • Dec 2007

Here is my take on the home page copy
                  Attached Files
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

• Bert
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                    Here is my take on the home page copy
                    DD@@@@MMMMMNNNNNNNNNN Broccoli!!!!! that's GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    I'm not late...

Comment

• monte55
                      • Aug 2006

I have pulled up the site and I don't see all what you guys are talking about.
                      I can get to different pages but get no real info or prices etc. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But if I have this trouble on a site, I'll just go on. Since I don't see much, I really can't comment well. One thing......the small pictures to me are worthless....too small.....all I see is something bright and colors.
                      Nick
                      Miller 252 Mig
                      Miller Cricket XL
                      Millermatic 150 Mig
                      Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                      2-O/A outfits
                      Jet Lathe and Mill
                      Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                      DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                      Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                      20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                      Propane Forge
                      60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                      Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                      and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

• Fishy Jim
                        • Oct 2006

Nick, he's made a lot of changes since the thread was started.
                        Syncrowave 250DX
                        Invison 354MP
                        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                        Smith O/A rig
                        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

• Johnny
                          • Jul 2008

A bucket of free advice has been given out. A consultant would charge at least $400 to critique it then another $600 to make changes- I have and would have.

Haven't looked at it cuz I rarely give away that kind of thinking for free.

Good luck with the site- it's very important to make a great first impression with a web presence. Oops that was a freebie.
                          MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

Comment

• JTMcC
                            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                            You need a PE to design a Decorative railing, fence or gate?

Mr. Broccoli 1,

I can't tell via the written word if you were being facetious, or really asking. But here goes anyway.

The rules regarding a PE are state dependent, the exception being work for the federal govt. on federal property.

And these are just rule of thumb type, general overviews, and only my take based on working with PE's in several states so take it for what it's worth.

Leaving out fields like pressure vessels and outside piping systems, the PE stamp requirements generally applies to construction or building maintenance/modification. And generally, if the work requires a permit, it requires PE stamped drawings. It gets a lot more complicated than that of course.

If it's civil, or structural steel construction/modification, it's a pretty sure bet in any state a PE stamp is required.

People pretty regularly want us to design things that call for a stamped drawing, they do that because it saves them a ton of money. We don't do it of course because the liability is immense and my policy doesn't cover me for doing illegal design work.

People who legitimately do that type of work, will go out of their way to see the cheaters punished.

JTMcC.
                            Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

• Bert
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                              A bucket of free advice has been given out. A consultant would charge at least $400 to critique it then another $600 to make changes- I have and would have.

Haven't looked at it cuz I rarely give away that kind of thinking for free.

Good luck with the site- it's very important to make a great first impression with a web presence. Oops that was a freebie.
                              Johnny

I'm extremely glad that you are a top-notch web-designer Others such as
                              you I'm sure won't give free tips also, along with some weldors that took a lot of years learning the trade won't help, that's why they don't participate in this forum. However, some want to help a guy out, such as Broccoli1 with the web design and SundownIII and FusionKing with welding...

....No need to show how good you are
                              Last edited by Bert; 12-27-2008, 08:48 PM.
                              I'm not late...

Comment

• Bert
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                                Mr. Broccoli 1,

I can't tell via the written word if you were being facetious, or really asking. But here goes anyway.

The rules regarding a PE are state dependent, the exception being work for the federal govt. on federal property.

And these are just rule of thumb type, general overviews, and only my take based on working with PE's in several states so take it for what it's worth.

Leaving out fields like pressure vessels and outside piping systems, the PE stamp requirements generally applies to construction or building maintenance/modification. And generally, if the work requires a permit, it requires PE stamped drawings. It gets a lot more complicated than that of course.

If it's civil, or structural steel construction/modification, it's a pretty sure bet in any state a PE stamp is required.

People pretty regularly want us to design things that call for a stamped drawing, they do that because it saves them a ton of money. We don't do it of course because the liability is immense and my policy doesn't cover me for doing illegal design work.

People who legitimately do that type of work, will go out of their way to see the cheaters punished.

JTMcC.
                                JTMcC and others:

I understand what you mean about Broccoli. I thought at times he was a little facetious at times also, but when you read all his posts, he really DOES mean well. I like to think of some of his posts as a "dry sense of humor"
                                not that it's bad, as I have a lot of friends that have the same humor. There HAVE been replies on questions that WERE sarcastic, only because the OP did not do ANY kind of homework or search on the subject, so some of the more experienced guys say it's beating a dead horse.....

On what you commented on of what he asked, that was a legitimate question, as I thought the same thing. Apparently in Hawaii, I found out a lot of railings doesn't not need an engineer stamp (exception to high-rises and such) or else lot of the small business owners would be in trouble.

Kudos to you to give a more detailed explanation

I just want to remind everyone, that this is like e-mail. We don't hear the person's voice/inflections whether he/she is sarcastic or not. I'd like to think of the more positive note and take their comments as positive.
                                I'm not late...

Comment

Working...
                                X