Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolly Roger
    replied
    Believe it or not I did most of the damage to my body in the army. The bad part is that when I was actually doing what I was trained to do it was always sitting. I don't type well standing, and it's hard to see the monitor, lol. Unfortunately there was a lot of physical stuff involved in setting up and tearing down (half my people were on a physical profile at almost any given time due to injury). Always in the boonies, and almost always in the dark. There is a real good reason why everyone is scared of the US Military. It's called we do it in the dark, lol. Unfortunately people are more susceptible to injury in the dark.

As for sitting on the job I had one customer that would actually drag the chair over to where I was working for me. Put me in the shop and make sure the heater was pointed at, or a/c in summer. They really really liked the work I did for them.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    in an earlier post I said that it could show bad form to sit on a job but truthfully, as many have pointed out, a comfortable worker is a productive worker so if it means sitting, laying, or standing on your noodle... so be it.
    thats what is starting to get threw to some companies, even if its only getting there due to insurance comp. offering lower rates for more ergonomic equipment. what ever it takes to keep people from ending up all screwed up way too soon, is a good thing.
    i think the biggest problem to overcome is the attitude of the construction or trade worker himself. we all tend to be the i can do it better, lift more , cary it farther, general attitude of invincibility. its that thinking that tends to get us to destroy our selves, if we could only remember HEMAN was just a cartoon.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    It's funny, but after years of being under, over, and around all manner of projects my best welds are my vert. up and overhead. The downside is that I have had many injuries to go along with the jobs and it is very good to see ergonomics becoming so much more of an issue. There is nothing I hate more than seeing a productive happy person all busted up because someone was more worried about the bottom line than the people who made them their bottom line. I have been to too many hospitals and funerals because of an ALL GO, NO BRAINS attitude. Like Jolly Roger, I can't torch sitting down if my beer depended on it and in an earliar post I said that it could show bad form to sit on a job but truthfully, as many have pointed out, a comfortable worker is a productive worker so if it means sitting, laying, or standing on your noodle... so be it.

Leave a comment:

• samc
    replied
    welding

i usually always am welding standing up , havent hardly ever sat down to weld so im good at it . the worst welding position is hanging off a beam somewhere upside down or the likes of that ...

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    it basically means comfort.
    Ergonomics is an applied science that is concerned with matching the individual's characteristics to the design of the objects that they use daily. This, in turn, enables them to work more comfortable and efficiently whether at home, work, or on the playing field. Ergonomics attempts to fit the task to the person and not the person to the task. This results in improved employee well-being, efficiency and safety. Today, implementing ergonomics is recognized as one of the best ways to minimize on-the-job stress and strain and prevent cumulative trauma disorders.

Ergonomics will result in increasing or improving many areas such as health of workers, productivity, quality and efficiency, morale and employee relations, union management relations and stimulate innovation. It will also result in several decreases such as accidents, injuries, turnover rates, absenteeism, errors, rehabilitation and cost.

Leave a comment:

• welder13
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now View Post
    most places are starting to get more and more ergonomically inclined so by the time you start to work odds are good you will have it much better. definitely much better than some of the older guys had it back when they started.
    True, hopefully when I show up for my first day of work I can go ahead and bring my stool

btw What does that big word mean? I couldn't even find it

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    most places are starting to get more and more ergonomically inclined so by the time you start to work odds are good you will have it much better. definitely much better than some of the older guys had it back when they started.

Leave a comment:

• welder13
    replied
    Originally posted by shorerider16 View Post
    I am a little curious as the policies of other companies about employes sitting down on the job. I don't mean not working, but sitting down on a stool or such when the job permits it. I find that 10-12 hour shifts of standing on a cement floor in steels toes is taking a real tole on my feet and legs. However, whenever I try to sit down for a bit my boss gives me a big long speel about how it is not productive. An input would be greatly appreciated.
    I guess this is one of the problems I have to look forward to in the future...Well good thing I work out of the garage for now

Leave a comment:

• hellbentrodder
    replied
    It's the ABC's of welding. Always Be Comfortable. If the boss doesn't like it and want's a poor weld so the customer can see his welder standing......let him do it. just mu opinion.
    Hellbent

Leave a comment:

• Jolly Roger
    replied
    I have to say I've never had a boss say anything to me about sitting down when I welded. Now keep in mind most of the time that won't happen because it's physically impossible. Most of the time I was standing on my head, or folded up under something getting burnt, but if I had the chance to park it I did. I weld better that way. Strangely enough I cannot cut with a torch while sitting down to save my life.

Even taking good care of yourself by 40 things are going to be a lot harder to do. When a lot of us were your age companies didn't really care if you were doing things that were dangerous or unhealthy. I would imagine this boss came up in those days.

I have been replaced after getting hurt on the job (it turned out to be one of the better things to happen to me). This was after I had spent a year being told, no you are a good hand and you have a job as soon as you can come back. I had already been told before I got hurt that I was the next one to get my own crew. Funny thing is years later a different boss wanted to send me to do a job for them. I told him what had happened and that I had to sue to get all of my medical bills paid so it might not be a good idea. He said I worked for him and not them and to go anyway. What really struck me as strange after that was when they called for a welder they always requested me.

They more than paid for what they did. My dad was a construction superintendent for what is now the largest oil company in the world, and guess who he never called again, heheh.

You may never change his mind, but it never hurts to try and explain. Be polite, courteous and tactful because he is still the boss and some people are just too dumb to see how they got in the shape they are in now.

I own the company now and if a customer pitches a fit about how I do my work I simply tell them I can leave and they can get someone else. Usually after the first job I do for them they don't want anyone else welding for them. Some will wait weeks for me to get to them.

Leave a comment:

• Samurai Dave
    replied
    Workers Comp

If you start to suffer from physical issues that disable you as a result of poor on the job practices, your boss is responsible. After a few worker comp suits your boss will change his mind about having a proper ergonomic environment for the staff.

If you are in an environment that is hostile (or ignorant), they won't care if you become physically disabled. They will most likely lay you off once you become less productive, hoping to avoid a workers comp suit. I suggest you change employers ASAP.

The last thing you want is to go to a doctor and have them tell you that you are so far gone that you can't perform the physical movements needed to make a living anymore. The best person to look out for your well being is YOU!

Leave a comment:

• man of steel
    replied
    stand or sit

sounds like your boss is a smuck, i agree with the othr guys on this one. have 8 guys that i employ and i demand that they get comfortable to do their jobs to the best of their abilities and if that means lying flat on their backs so be it .i dont have a problem with my guys being happy,they work longer hours and less injuries(a happy worker is a better worker)and to be honest , their health and safety come before anything.your boss should realize that its to his advantage to keep you healthy, because that translates to less missed time off due to illness and injuries. ciao

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    He would probably let me weld with no pants on
    thats a risky idea, i dont want any burns down there.

Leave a comment:

• Clavacle
    replied
    As long as I am putting out quality beads and working safly my boss could care less. He would probably let me weld with no pants on if I could figure out a way.

Leave a comment:

• JonnyTIG
    replied
    Chuck U&R, his boss might find someone else to do the job while he's off... permanently.

I didn't have to go through that, (my last sentance) when I got hurt on the job, but unfortunetly many do.

Companies now days are being told they have to look at ergonomics for the workers, and cutting the costs of the compensation premiums due to lost time.
    Small companies that ignor this are being crushed by the premiums, the lost time, and the lack of educating their employees.

My bid is being comfortable while I work. Laying down, sitting, standing... When I TIG a use a foot pedal; sometimes stuck against the rear tire of a car, except for when I weld large cabinets, because the hand control makes me more comfortable to do the job, faster. I can lay on the top of the cabinet and weld all day long. My welds wont be as nice as using the pedal, but I produce for the MAN and all is good.

Bosses that don't understand the comfort/ergonomic stuff are looking to employ crippled workers in the future if the workers are lifers.

Like you all said, TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY, you ARE ONLY GIVEN ONE...and technology hasen't caught up as of yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X