X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dabar39
    • Mar 2007

hard drive

bert and fun4now, the old computer was also 2000 professional as is the new one. The old one worked just fine until we had a real bad thunderstorm and lost power. When the power was restored all I would get on start up is a screen that said inaccesable boot device. I tried to start in safe mode and got the same screen, called a few computer repair guys and they all said it wasn't worth the time and money for them to troubleshoot and repair the system and that it would be more cost effective for me to purchase a new system and try to get an external hard drive chassis to hook up and retrieve files from old unit. If I can hook it up to the new computer with out buying anything else that would be great. Thanks for the info, I will have to see if I can do it with out frying the new system. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

• fun4now
      • Aug 2006

drive addition is easy

you could get an extrenal hard drive to hook it up but you dont need it. you can just screw the old drive to the inside teperarily to retreve or leve it there as a storage device.
      in first pic it shows how i just screwed in the 2nd drive to the open bay. the bay is bigger then the drive but dont worry about that you can get an atachment to downsize it if you want, i never botherd. or you can get a removable drive assembly so you can pull it out and pop it back in whenever you want. or just do a quick atach like i did in the pic.
      if you look at the top of the hard drive it will tell you how to set it up as a slave. i atached 2 HD tops that show diferent ways of showing the settings. all you do is pull out the pin conector then slid it back in on the right set of pins as shown by the top of the disk.
      pic's 2&3 are disk drive tops the red box shows the diagram ( simple)
      pic 4 shows the conection end with all the plug ins labled.
      red box is slave master pins
      blue box is the main computer conection pins
      green is the power conector pins
      none of these can be put in the wrong spot or upside down, the cable will only fit in the right spot and the right way. look for the rounded corners of the plug or the orentation bump and yoiu will be fine. the big thing to pay atention to is the master slave pin choice, thats the only thing you can possible get wrong.
      odds are realy good every thing you need is already in the computer to do this. if by chance you dont have an extra power plug, you can get an adapter that will give you a 1 to 2 spliter.
      if your hard drive(HD) cable dose not have a 2nd plug, you can get one with 2 at any raideoshack or circuit city anyplace like that will have it and the power pigtail.
      this is verry simple thing to do BUT!!!! here are a few safty precautions they recomend.
      turn off and unplug (no shortcuts here just do it.)
      use a grounding strap to keep you from static charge.(you can just hold the outside of the case with one hand to discharge if you dont have a strap)
      dont use a magnetic tiped screwdriver (i have never had a problem with one buts its a recomendation by the comp. guys.
      just take it to circuit city and have them hook it up( last resort, you CAN do this.)

you should be able to unplug the old HD reset it as a slave and reinstall it in about 30 minuits tops even never haveing seen the inside of a comp. befor.

tools needed
      screwdriver's
      philups and strait they are not all the same, small ones not wach size just small ones. you might need a normal size or med driver to take the case cover off and it will likely work inside also but just to be safe bring a small one along.
      depending on your finger strangth and dextarity you might want to use a pair of needle nose plyers to pull the slave.master clip, and also the power cable is usualy prity tight so you might want it there also. (dont pull by the wires pull on the clip(bet you knew that))

its a lot simpler than it sounds open the dead computer first and take a look, you will see its no problem and then feel better about opening the good one.

good luck, hope to see the pic's soon.

if you want a pic by pic walk threw i can go open up a 2nd computer and take a pic at each step if you want, just let me know.
      Attached Files
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

• Bert
        • Mar 2007

James,
        nice job! Dave, I would try it, really can't screw it up, but I've had experience doing it. But...since I haven't done it to Win2000 or XP, I'd have my friend walk me through it anyway...1st thing I would do anyway, is save everything to disk anyway (as we should all do every week or month!!!!)
        I was told that if you add more than 2 items on your computer, xp don't like that and shuts down, you have to buy a new program. Haven't asked my friend if that was true or not. Win98 was a lot more forgiving...
        bert
        I'm not late...
        I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

• fun4now
          • Aug 2006

I was told that if you add more than 2 items on your computer, xp don't like that and shuts down, you have to buy a new program. Haven't asked my friend if that was true or not. Win98 was a lot more forgiving...
          bert

i cant see that happening, although i have seen stupider things out of windows.
          you may need to change your power pack if you are adding hevy users of power but adding a HD should not be any problem. i have added a lot more than that when i was in comp school without any truble.multiple disk drives and extra fans to keep it all cool could cause a problem but you would likely have to buy a larger case to do that anyway so getting a larger power suoply would be no big deal. changing out a power suply is also simple. the hole thing is in its own lil box atached to the top back corner, just pull the plugs, pull a few screw's and pop out the old then screw in the new and start plugging stuff back in. its hard to get the plugs in the wrong place, even though the power transformer puts out several diferent voltages for diferent things, all the plugs are diferent per the voltages. must be computer geeks are good with coad but suck at screw's and plugs so they made it geek proof.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

• dabar39
            • Mar 2007

Bert, James, You guys have convinced me to try it, I'll work on it tonight when I get home from the shop. Dave

weld-tek, sorry for hijacking your thread, but they made me do it.lol Dave
            If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
            Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

• fun4now
              • Aug 2006

weld-tek, sorry for hijacking your thread, but they made me do it.lol Dave
              we are eeeevillll, eeeeeviilllll i tell you waaaahhhaaahha.
              keep us posted on how it works out for ya.
              pic's of your smooker trailor will defenetly let us know it worked out .
              feel free to shoot me any other questions if they come up wile inside. you might want to blow out the inside wile you are in there, grab a can of compressed air on the way home. if you do this in the shop you could use the air lines just be shore to turn it way down first.
              Last edited by fun4now; 07-19-2007, 07:40 AM.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              JAMES

Comment

• Bert
                • Mar 2007

Dave,
                Why u using my name??? DON'T BLAME ME!!!!!!!! IT'S JAMES WHO PUT ALL THOSE PICS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!
                I'm not late...
                I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Working...
                X